Did DJI cap the distance?

Reaction score
I've been out of the loop on these forums for a while now, I still fly every so often with my maxxUAV antenna boosted or not, depends on my mood.

I've kept up to date with all updates on both the app/firmware. I was flying over the weekend and noticed that when I get out a little distance with perfect VOS, at about 4-5k distance I'm seeing the flashing red controller losing signal on the app. It's weird how it happens so quickly. I pushed it a little further and the same thing, flashing red losing signal.

Just wondering if its something hardware related or something DJI did.

Also, anyone know what the distance people are getting with these mavics? is it really 3 miles with VOS with stock antennas ?

thanks

I've been out of the loop on these forums for a while now, I still fly every so often with my maxxUAV antenna boosted or not, depends on my mood.

I've kept up to date with all updates on both the app/firmware. I was flying over the weekend and noticed that when I get out a little distance with perfect VOS, at about 4-5k distance I'm seeing the flashing red controller losing signal on the app. It's weird how it happens so quickly. I pushed it a little further and the same thing, flashing red losing signal.

Just wondering if its something hardware related or something DJI did.

Also, anyone know what the distance people are getting with these mavics? is it really 3 miles with VOS with stock antennas ?

thanks
Where are you in the world?

This is from the manual...
Up to 5.0 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interferences and FCC compliant) when it is FCC compliant
Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interferences) when it is CE compliant.

I have just about made 1.8 miles in Ireland stock (CE) and I think there are people here that've got 3 miles in the USA too, so their claims are not too far from reality. I've got more than 3 miles with windsurfer and still had full signals, but had run out of guts (and battery according to the app) to go further!

I've gone almost 5 miles boosted VOS at night.
I'm just not getting that anymore, wondering if anything changed that we know of. I guess not.
thanks

I've gone almost 5 miles boosted VOS at night.
I'm just not getting that anymore, wondering if anything changed that we know of. I guess not.
thanks
Are you over a populated area? there could be a new wireless router in your AO that is now interfering with the signal. Or a new cell tower.

What sort of distance where you getting in previous flights with your Max UAV antenna before you noticed this controller signal loss?

sorry see you post 5 miles...was the controller signal loss noticed after latest firmware update?

I know of a 4.2km flight out and back - on a stock P3A here in the UK, no windsurfers !!! He had video all the way !

I don't think DJI is capping anything. Why would a company who is in a very competitive field do that to themselves? It is in their best interest to offer the best product, and I think they do. That is why they are the most purchased product out there. They are under a lot of pressure from Govt. regulators to implement some sort of restrictions around busy airports, and you can see why. They do this through the NFZs, and still give the end user the option to accept responsibility. DJI is not trying to cripple us, no way. But given all that I think these machines are complex enough that all the Air traffic, WiFi, and Cellular, really mess with signals. Even in places that have had no previous problems. I'm amazed they work as well as they do, thankful too.

Visual of sight? lol I forgot the acronym

Anyway, I'll also noticed where ever I fly here in S.FL I need to submit my cell # , I guess since there are heliports everywhere they want to know if I crash it was me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic