Did anybody get jello free video in gps mode?

Reaction score
I read that the best way to get jello free video is fly in ATTI mode.
But what if you are using a brushless gimbal?
I balanced my props but saw, that there are some wooden balanced props...whIch one could be the best combination?

Gps mode you can avoid jello using a gimbal or even all the other tricks needed for non gimbal smooth footage. The issue with GPS mode is more the many tiny corrections it does in the wind or even just to keep itself in place. This doesn't always mean jello as jello is not the same as the camera motion just following the phantom as it moves around. Atti mode will get you a more steady level flight that in calm conditions can be as good as a gimbal nearly but only a gimbal can give smooth footage if the quad is moving around a bit due to wind or control inputs. The beauty of a good gimbal is you don't need to keep the craft dead level any more thats the gimbals job now, jello itself is caused by the fast vibrations from the motors and these need to be addressed with an isolation mount with or without a gimbal. All the better gimbal options also have good mounts that deal with jello but the standard dji gopro mount should be called a jello mount as thats what it does.

Any props properly balanced along with balanced motors and mount method will help fight jello, also a nd filter for bright conditions is a big help. You really need to do the most you can in each aspect to reduce jello without a gimbal. If for example your props and motors are well out of balance anything else you do will have little effect so that's the most critical and the other things will help smooth out the last few vibrations coming through the frame.

Arangu said:
I read that the best way to get jello free video is fly in ATTI mode.
But what if you are using a brushless gimbal?
I balanced my props but saw, that there are some wooden balanced props...whIch one could be the best combination?

Jello free video has nothing to do with flight mode - at least in my opinion.

First:

1. Balance your props. Single most important thing you can do. I balance mine everytime I fly, no matter what.

2. You need some sort of ISO mount. I am using a brushless gimbal, but you can achieve jello free using a regular gimbal , or any ISO mount like the VGE mount. I use some Moon Gel to mount it to the Phantom. It seems to help.

3. Use a higher frames per second.I like 60fps. Seems to help.

4. Use a Neutral Density filter. This helps control the light and it alters the shutter speed, which also improves your video.

I use the Polar pro filters. I have a description of them on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRwOeeHdlg

and here is what I conclude is my best video - minus the filter reflection, which I have solved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLhGdyeVI-k

I hope this helps. I know this is about spending more $4, whcih DJI didn't discuss, but, which is required to get high quality video.

Darren

CameraGuy, why would you balance your props everytime you fly?
Unless you had a crash, a tip over, or were chewing on them between flights I can't see the need.
Just curious

Slugger

I tried the zinger wood props. Maybe they help vibratîon but they are super brittle and on one tip over they chewed themselves to splinters. Not nearly as robust as the stock plastic.

It's funny how variable GPS can be. One time the phantom slowly circles about, then yesterday it hovered rock solid, not moving more than an inch in any direction. It was like having it mounted on a post. No wind helped. The video from that flight needed no post stabilization.

slugger said:
CameraGuy, why would you balance your props everytime you fly?
Unless you had a crash, a tip over, or were chewing on them between flights I can't see the need.
Just curious

Slugger

Well, I check my prop nuts every time, so it takes a moment to pull them off, put them on the balancer and check them. Most times, they are fine, but It just became routine. It taught me how to balance, and I think my props are as balanced as anyones can be.

D

well there's different kinds of jello.
-that of which is caused by vibrations , as well as a bit that's caused by shaky camera- the later of which can be reduced when flying in ATTI mode if you're a smooth flyer.

But the jello caused by vibrations is the most pronounced, which can only be reduced by eliminating those vibrations as best you can, and then trying to prevent them from vibrating down to the camera.
..and then there's the shooting modes that can help a bit.

Here is a video I just did to show my fpv setup in action but also is a good exaomple for this topic. This was in fairly strong 20 to 40kmh winds with some flying in GPS mode and some in ATTI mode. Cam was in 1440p30 but I have got the phantom about as balanced and jello free as I can and you can see here there is no jello. There is motion of the phantom moving around but that isn't jello, jello is the wavy type motion on footage caused by high frequency vibrations. Most evident in slower fps shooting modes but high shutter speeds caused by bright lighting, if you use all methods possible to reduce vibrations and also use nd filters to control shutter speed then you have pretty much a jello free phantom as I think mine is now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8IZLsPR5c[/youtube]

Keep in mind that while the ND and Polarizing filters help with removing jello..
IF you upgrade to a brushless gimbal, you likely won't be able to use any filters with it, as it would throw off the balance of the gimbal. (tho did read one video description where someone managed to balance things out)

mseroka said:
if you really want to nearly eliminate the jello effect, look into getting a neutral density filter..hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/LAVfnKB2ENY

I have been using filters for quite a while but use the snake river prototyping blurfix3 adapter. Much better solution as it lets you use any filters you want. No funky reflection issues like I have seen from the polar pro and if you watch my video in the last post you can see how it performs combined with all the other methods of reducing vibrations.

Here is a video darren thecameraguy posted here earlier using the polar pro nd filter. He is using it on the GLB gimbal but that reflection is awful and id stay well away from any filter that can do that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLhGdyeVI-k[/youtube]

Even with a gimbal having a nd filter will give better results not only in terms of jello but helps create some motion blur to avoid the strobbing effect you get from very fast shutter speeds in video. It also helps protect the lens if you do happen to crash or even brush some tall grass in flight as I have seen that scratch a gopro lens before. But when it comes to optics id choice a quality filter over a random generic that has the weird reflection of what I have seen with some polar pro footage.

martcerv said:
mseroka said:
if you really want to nearly eliminate the jello effect, look into getting a neutral density filter..hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/LAVfnKB2ENY

I have been using filters for quite a while but use the snake river prototyping blurfix3 adapter. Much better solution as it lets you use any filters you want. No funky reflection issues like I have seen from the polar pro and if you watch my video in the last post you can see how it performs combined with all the other methods of reducing vibrations.

Here is a video darren thecameraguy posted here earlier using the polar pro nd filter. He is using it on the GLB gimbal but that reflection is awful and id stay well away from any filter that can do that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLhGdyeVI-k[/youtube]

Even with a gimbal having a nd filter will give better results not only in terms of jello but helps create some motion blur to avoid the strobbing effect you get from very fast shutter speeds in video. It also helps protect the lens if you do happen to crash or even brush some tall grass in flight as I have seen that scratch a gopro lens before. But when it comes to optics id choice a quality filter over a random generic that has the weird reflection of what I have seen with some polar pro footage.

I just didn't push the filter on properly. I was too excited to try out the gimbal. That is explained in the posting, and in the video. Sometimes martcerv can't read - :oops:

My second, 3rd and 4th flight, which have not been posted have been perfect. I just haven't had time to edit, post and discuss as I have been out of town.

The gimbals will compensate for the minimal weight of the filter. It is NOT an issue, atleast not with the PolarPro filters, which I am also working on a review for right now. I will be showing footage with the Naked Gopro, the 3ND, 4ND and polarizer.

They are great products.

Darren

I do look forward to your review, I can read but still find it odd a filter can do that. I have never seen such a reflection off any filter on any camera I have ever used a filter with.

None of them came with instructions on how to put then on properly as it should be quite simple I would think and if a cameraguy can muck up a filter install then it must be a bit of a design issue. I would hate to somehow get this wrong and ruin footage due to that sort of reflection which is why I would avoid using such a filter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl