Devastated, flight number 124, Phantom 3 at the bottom of the ocean

Reaction score
I am, ore should I say was, the proud owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced. I began flying Phantoms in 2012 , started with the number one and worked my way up to number three. And what a machine that is. The technology took a big leap the last few years.

Last week I went for a flight. I did not fly for a week because of the weather here in Holland. But it cleared so I went out for a fly. I have four batterys and I had already used three so I was into my last flight for the day. Prior to the flights I had updated my firmware to the latest version v1.6.0040. Calibrated the MUI and compass after updating. I always fly with the original DJI app (2.4.3) and I take good care of my airplaine. Check the Phantom and her props between flights, never take off with a battery lower than 100 procent and change the props if nessesary. As far as I now, I really did nothing wrong.

So I took of and everything looked fine, no strange warnings. No buildings, no interference. But suddenly after 7 minuts and 6 seconds the airplane went bizarre and crashed. Black screen, pushed the RTH but I already new, I lost my phantom. Unbelieve, angry all kind of different emotions I went threw. And now I am sad. Very sad. I now it can happen, always be prepared loosing your Phantom, but so fast after I bought it. I cant send it back to DJI because its on the "bottom" of the sea. This part of the waddensea fells dry with low tide but its like quicksand, I really tried but its to dangerous.

I hope DJI is gone help me, its fuc.. up to go home with only your RC.

Here is the flight:

Dropbox - 2015_12_29_12_23_52.mp4

And here is:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Sorry to hear that, may be someone smart here can analyse your data

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
Please post the TXT file you uploaded to Healthy Drones.

There's nothing on there that could explain what happened as far as I can see, looks a very healthy flight until you go down.

Hopefully DJI will step up. Best of luck.

Hello @Flying Dutchman,
Very sorry to read about your unexpected phantom sinking into the drink. I can see by your words just how hurt and upset you are, and I can empathize with your sentiments. I have not had any negative response or reactions from my drone, and feel very fortunate to even be able to say this.
Most Phantom 3 pilots have no issues, or problematic flights. We only visit the forums to try and help others to experience the similar awesomeness of its powers, and enjoy their investments to the fullest. I only hope that some form of mutually agreed upon terms can become positive fruition, and once finalization has been completed, that you can continue to enjoy these fantastic drones. When they work right, they are simply awesome. ;-)

Best of luck, & please do keep us informed, of your eventual progress.

RedHotPoker

Hello @Flying Dutchman,
Very sorry to read about your unexpected phantom sinking into the drink. I can see by your words just how hurt and upset you are, and I can empathize with your sentiments. I have not had any negative response or reactions from my drone, and feel very fortunate to even be able to say this.
Most Phantom 3 pilots have no issues, or problematic flights. We only visit the forums to try and help others to experience the similar awesomeness of its powers, and enjoy their investments to the fullest. I only hope that some form of mutually agreed upon terms can become positive fruition, and once finalization has been completed, that you can continue to enjoy these fantastic drones. When they work right, they are simply awesome. ;-)

Best of luck, & please do keep us informed, of your eventual progress.

RedHotPoker

Thank you @RedHotPoker, yes I now It is such a great machine, and I miss it dearly. And for sure I will buy another one. Have to save, but I will buy another Phantom. It is too much fun to miss out on. I hope DJI wil help me and for sure I will keep you guys informed, of eventual progress. Thank you again for your kind words.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you, but I'm very sorry for your loss. That video is my worst nightmare.
Its ok @Wacker2611 , your kind words makes it a bit easier. Enjoy your Phantom to the fullest because 99 procent of my flights ( and there were a lot) went without any problems.

I'm no expert but reading these forums, especiall recently about battery issues/voltages etc - here is my 2cents

Take off battery shows 97% - after 31secs of flight the voltages read:
3.637v 3.66v 3.638v 3.561v

1 cell shows quite a bit of deviation after 31secs - I'm thinking it's a battery/ voltages issue (ie taking off on a battery that isn't fully charged)

The above voltages look way off after 31secs of flight from a '97%' charged battery - (edit to add) I'm usually nearly landed when those voltages show & the battery is showing anything between 20 - 35% depending if I've been hard on the sticks

Was this battery lying around for a few days/ week prior to use? When I charge a battery fully it only reads 98% in the app - unless I turn the battery on & then connect to the charger - then it goes to 100% (this is important imo)

Were you flying agressively at all? Also some strong gusts & you got some scary compass readings (last second of flight) which could indicate a bird strike - Just trying to hopefully find you some answers

Sorry for your loss

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantom George
****, that's a big loss!!

I notice in the video there are a number of birds below the drone (2:50+ a massive swarm/flock of birds are seen taking flight). Could a bird have collided with the drone and that certainly would have sent it down?
@Rumbaar thank you, that is always possible, did not think of that yet.

I'm no expert but reading these forums, especiall recently about battery issues/voltages etc - here is my 2cents

Take off battery shows 97% - after 31secs of flight the voltages read:
3.637v 3.66v 3.638v 3.561v

1 cell shows quite a bit of deviation after 31secs - I'm thinking battery but could be well wrong - also some strong gusts
The above voltages look way off after 31secs of flight from a '97%' charged battery

Was this battery lying around for a few days/ week prior to use? When I charge a battery fully it only reads 98% in the app - unless I turn the battery on & then connect to the charger - then it goes to 100% (this is important imo)

Were you flying agressively at all? Just trying to hopefully find you some answers

Sorry for your loss
thank you @ELCHEAPO Its a brand new battery, and yes I always charge my batterys after flight. So it was laying around for three days. I think I did not fly to agrassively, I never fly full throttle all the time. But when it was a battery faillure should the Phantom than not be blacked out? In the movie we can see the copter go down. I dont now maybe you are right. My hope is at DJI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers