Descent issues on first flights

Reaction score
Received p4p Tuesday, updated aircraft & controller to latest firmware. DJI GO 4 latest version. Flew it today. When manually descending to land, descent was VERY slow. Then, it suddenly the aircraft dropped about 20' and I was able to again SLOWLY descend and land. This happened on more than one flight. Very unnerving.

Note: Of course I did compass calibration on site. However, after updating firmware, I checked the imu's and they were reported as "excellent" so I didn't calibrate them (or the vps).

Any help with this would be appreciated?

Turn off the VPS and try it again. It is very finiky as to the terrain it likes.

I'll do that. I go fly again on Saturday. Should I go ahead and go through the vps calibration procedure? Did it once on my p4, just more to do here.

Of course I did compass calibration on site. However, after updating firmware, I checked the imu's and they were reported as "excellent" so I didn't calibrate them
Read the top of P57 in your manual to see what DJI recommend about compass calibration.
There should be no need to calibrate the compass or IMU unless there is a problem.

Received p4p Tuesday, updated aircraft & controller to latest firmware. DJI GO 4 latest version. Flew it today. When manually descending to land, descent was VERY slow. Then, it suddenly the aircraft dropped about 20' and I was able to again SLOWLY descend and land. This happened on more than one flight. Very unnerving.

Note: Of course I did compass calibration on site. However, after updating firmware, I checked the imu's and they were reported as "excellent" so I didn't calibrate them (or the vps).

Any help with this would be appreciated?
As a precaution, I always descend whilst moving in some direction, I never descend vertically to avoid a possible VRS (Vortex ring state) occurring which could cause it to lose lift completely.

Reactions: KingDad1985
As a precaution, I always descend whilst moving in some direction, I never descend vertically to avoid a possible VRS (Vortex ring state) occurring which could cause it to lose lift completely.
Great advice.
DJI is way ahead of you.
VRS has not been an issue since back in the P2 days.
DJI reduced descent speeds in the P2 series to reduce the possibility of VRS and they offset the motors of the P3 series and later models which eliminated the possibility of VRS.
I haven't seen any cases of VRS since the P3 series were released.
It's perfectly safe to descend vertically if you want to.

DJI is way ahead of you.
VRS has not been an issue since back in the P2 days.
DJI reduced descent speeds in the P2 series to reduce the possibility of VRS and they offset the motors of the P3 series and later models which eliminated the possibility of VRS.
I haven't seen any cases of VRS since the P3 series were released.
It's perfectly safe to descend vertically if you want to.

I prefer to descend while moving to avoid the 'possibility' of VRS. We all know how good DJI is with their so-called 'fixes'.

I prefer to descend while moving to avoid the 'possibility' of VRS. We all know how good DJI is with their so-called 'fixes'.
We know how some people can't pass a chance to have a dig at DJI but it doesn't change the fact that VRS hasn't shown up since the days of the Phantom 2 series.
The experience of thousands of flyers that have checked it over and over again confirms this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj