Descending quickly

Reaction score
Just wondering if trying to descend quickly will shut the rotors off if you get the stick too far in the down position? When you land you can bring the stick all the way down for a second or 2 and it shuts the bird down. Will this happen if trying to descend too quickly?

Just wondering if trying to descend quickly will shut the rotors off if you get the stick too far in the down position? When you land you can bring the stick all the way down for a second or 2 and it shuts the bird down. Will this happen if trying to descend too quickly?
No. The Phantom must be stationary for three seconds before the motors shut down.

Reactions: NickCopter
NO.

One the most asked questions here.
Sure you searched???

No shut-down until it no longer detects motion.

Reactions: Pete Leare
No, it won't stop the motors until it senses that it hasn't been descending for a few seconds. For example when it has landed or you have caught it by hand. Go ahead and descend full speed without fear.

NO.

Sure you searched???

I think this must easily be the most asked question, but I do remember wondering this same thing myself when I first read the manual.

Reactions: JoBe
NO.

Sure you searched???

Yep. Type Descending and the threads that came up didn't apply. Perhaps I could have searched on more key words.

I think I read somewhere that if the GPS or VPS is sensing movement it won't shut down. Maybe someone can chime in with a definite answer. You're most likely already aware of this but for those who aren't, all copters are susceptible to something called vortex ring state or settling with power. Even the models & toy ones. When you descend too fast, you're descending into your own prop wash and that results in instability and potential loss of control. DJI software/flight controllers limit the descent rate to try to avoid this, but your best bet is to descend slowly, and don't just go straight down, descend while also moving forward, backwards, or in a circle.

[QUOTE="coherent, post: 468930, member: 24449"]I think I read somewhere that if the GPS or VPS is sensing movement it won't shut down. Maybe someone can chime in with a definite answer. You're most likely already aware of this but for those who aren't, all copters are susceptible to something called vortex ring state or settling with power. Even the models & toy ones. When you descend too fast, you're descending into your own prop wash and that results in instability and potential loss of control. DJI software/flight controllers limit the descent rate to try to avoid this, but your best bet is to descend slowly, and don't just go straight down, descend while also moving forward, backwards, or in a circle.[/QUOTE]

How much more chiming do you need?
It is a fact and has nothing to do with GPS or VPS BTW.

As I said it is the most asked question.
Page 46 of the manual lists two ways to stop the motors and the dangers of performing only one of them if done in flight.

How much more chiming do you need?
It is a fact and has nothing to do with GPS or VPS BTW.

Gee thanks for your pleasant response.. when I wrote my response and hit post there were no other responses. I guess I should refresh the page and refresh every second or two before posting so some troll doesn't made snide remarks.... and ok, so it doesn't use the GPS or VPS.. only some other onboard sensor... ok, thanks, I'm enlightened now.

I agree trolls are a problem.
We all do our best to help the moderators control them.
Feel free to report me if you think I'm a troll.

I agree trolls are a problem.
We all do our best to help the moderators control them.
Feel free to report me if you think I'm a troll.
Obviously not a troll... And no problem calling out folks for not doing some diligence prior to posting either. But seriously man.... you need a Snickers. The snappy and just a bit in your face responses are not really needed. Everyone here is capable of being nice.

Reactions: Stephan
Fair enough

all copters are susceptible to something called vortex ring state or settling with power. Even the models & toy ones. When you descend too fast, you're descending into your own prop wash and that results in instability and potential loss of control. DJI software/flight controllers limit the descent rate to try to avoid this, but your best bet is to descend slowly, and don't just go straight down, descend while also moving forward, backwards, or in a circle.
The design engineers know a thing or two about VRS and have offset the motors to hep prevent this.
Check your motors and notice that they aren't set vertically.
Because of this they also were able to increase the descent speed above that of the P2.
They already worked out what is too fast and what is good for safe descent and built that into the limit they set.
Your Phantom 3 will safely descend straight down at whatever speed you use up to the limit of 3 metres/sec.

Gee thanks for your pleasant response.. when I wrote my response and hit post there were no other responses. I guess I should refresh the page and refresh every second or two before posting so some troll doesn't made snide remarks.... and ok, so it doesn't use the GPS or VPS.. only some other onboard sensor... ok, thanks, I'm enlightened now.
Than his job is done. You're now enlightened. Any time you need a good talking to or some redirection, he will be there for you. Unbelievable how difficult it is to just be nice.

Reactions: Stephan

:rolleyes:

Hey I did that and got in trouble from the Brits! :)
When everything fails put the bird in the refrigerator...:rolleyes: and everything will be right as rain.

:rolleyes:

Hey I did that and got in trouble from the Brits! :)
When everything fails put the bird in the refrigerator...:rolleyes: and everything will be right as rain.
The eyes were for a weird post after it had already been explained. I just hold it under a ceiling A/C vent for 5 minutes for a cold IMU calibration.

Reactions: jryser

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.