descend speed?

Reaction score
Is it just me or is no one really complains about the current 2 m/s descend speed? It takes forever to descend from over 600 mt. If DJI want us safely descend, they could have at least put a limit for the last 50 mt or so. Does anyone know if DJI has any plans regarding the descend speed limit?

Thanks

I know. The limit came while ago. But then again, can't they limit the descend speed for the last 50 mt. if all that matters is landing safely?

If you are 600m AGL then you are putting the reputation of this hobby in serious jeopardy.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
If you are 600m AGL then you are putting the reputation if this hobby in serious jeopardy.

Not really. Where I fly that high, I don't even see birds around. Let alone aircrafts...

Oh, so I guess that makes it all right then

ciguli said:
IrishSights said:
If you are 600m AGL then you are putting the reputation if this hobby in serious jeopardy.

Not really. Where I fly that high, I don't even see birds around. Let alone aircrafts...

RdwWG9EM7r-2.png

IrishSights said:

I'd be glad, if you can elaborate why it doesn't...

The most active topics still tend to be the ones about 4km clubs, antenna mods, max. altitudes/distances etc. I guess these guys are all killing this hobby, aren't they? As long as you fly responsibly in uninhabited areas, make sure you are far away from commercial fly paths, I don't see how the reputation of this hobby is in jeopardy... You don't get to see me asking questions about how I can avoid skyscrapers in Manhattan and fly 1000 mt. high at the same time.

captej26 said:
Still just you.... And that makes perfect sense.

I guess you speak on behalf of 12956 members of this forum. And repeating the same argument is really effective. Now I am convinced...

@IrishSights: This is not a debate. We are exchanging opinions and knowledge. If you think you are wasting your time, fine. It is your valuable time at the end...

Thank you Geert btw. I did not know about the vortex. I could only think of DJI wanting to prevent landing accidents...

ciguli said:
IrishSights said:

I'd be glad, if you can elaborate why it doesn't...

The most active topics still tend to be the ones about 4km clubs, antenna mods, max. altitudes/distances etc. I guess these guys are all killing this hobby, aren't they? As long as you fly responsibly in uninhabited areas, make sure you are far away from commercial fly paths, I don't see how the reputation of this hobby is in jeopardy... You don't get to see me asking questions about how I can avoid skyscrapers in Manhattan and fly 1000 mt. high at the same time.
I'm not going to waste any more of my time debating this. You obviously have made up your own mind so I'm never going to convince you otherwise. I'm out of here.

ciguli said:
Thank you Geert btw. I did not know about the vortex. I could only think DJI wanting to prevent landing accidents...

Information about the vortex and prop wash are all over the forum(s).
But, yes, that's the main reason the descent speed limit was introduced, I believe... to prevent your Phantom from falling out of the sky due to "bad air".

But what's really confused me about the introduction of the limit is that they also seem to have taken away the one method people were using to avoid the vortex themselves... namely descending while moving in a lateral direction. Ever since the update that included the limiting, you can no longer move in any direction while you're in full descent (ie - stick fully down). This just doesn't make any sense to me... and I'm starting to wonder if it's actually a bug.

True, you can always release the stick a little and regain the ability to move in other directions... but most people are always going to hold the stick full down when they truly want to descend.

ProfessorStein said:
Information about the vortex and prop wash are all over the forum(s).
But, yes, that's the main reason the descent speed limit was introduced, I believe... to prevent your Phantom from falling out of the sky due to "bad air".

But what's really confused me about the introduction of the limit is that they also seem to have taken away the one method people were using to avoid the vortex themselves... namely descending while moving in a lateral direction. Ever since the update that included the limiting, you can no longer move in any direction while you're in full descent (ie - stick fully down). This just doesn't make any sense to me... and I'm starting to wonder if it's actually a bug.

True, you can always release the stick a little and regain the ability to move in other directions... but most people are always going to hold the stick full down when they truly want to descend.

I have to admit that I wasn't moving in a lateral direction to avoid the vortex before they set the limit. Maybe for the less experienced pilots, it wasn't a bad decision after all. But still, they could given us the choice with a warning and disclaimer...

ciguli said:
I have to admit that I wasn't moving in a lateral direction to avoid the vortex before they set the limit. Maybe for the less experienced pilots, it wasn't a bad decision after all. But still, they could given us the choice with a warning and disclaimer...

You know, funny thing... I've been watching the threads, here, and invariably anyone whos had a crash is all "those bastards at DJI should've done something to prevent my crash", and then when DJI does something to prevent that type of crash, everyone who HASN'T experienced such a crash says "those bastards at DJI... why did they implement this idiotic safety measure".

The ring of death is real. The limiting of descent speed is DJIs attempt to stave off that hazzard. Just because you haven't experienced it yet doesn't mean you won't, or that you wouldn't have if the limit wasn't in place.

Think about just what a warning message would say... "warning: you are about to experience a situation where your prized $1000 Phantom could fall uncontrollably from the sky. Would you like to continue? Yes/No." First, how many people would say Yes. But also, no matter how severe the warning or how long the disclaimer, DJI could still be on the line if one of their products falls and damages property or injures an individual. Disclaimers don't cover a corporation's *** anymore. People still sue and win. The manufacturer has to prove that they took steps to absolutely prevent harmful situations and even prevent blatant misuse of their product.

ProfessorStein said:
"those bastards at DJI should've done something to prevent my crash", and then when DJI does something to prevent that type of crash, everyone who HASN'T experienced such a crash says "those bastards at DJI... why did they implement this idiotic safety measure".

Perfect! I would make that my sig if that wasn't so long.

captej26 said:
Yep...Lots of those members are chiming in. )

Luckily the minimum word requirement for each post here is not 8 words. I would have missed your past 3 creative posts otherwise...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers