Desactivate the NO FLY ZONE?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

i am a Photographer mainly as a hobby (http://www.stephanecouture.com) and i have been looking at the DJI quads for a while now for photography, my situation is simple i am about 5 miles from the a Major airport and i am wondering if it possible to desactivate the NO FlY ZONE if i want to fly close to my house?

Any imput on this would be well appreciated, thank you.

Stephane
http://www.stephanecouture.com

Soory for all the post, it was not posting on my side and i was getting a error but i guess it did post every single time. Sorry again about that

The phantom will fly in the airport zones with a descending height limit the closer you get to the airport. The phantom wont fly within 1.5 miles of a large airport, from 1.5 miles to 5 miles from the airport you can fly between 35ft and 400ft. You can downgrade the software to an earlier version that doesnt have the no fly zones. Do you really need to be flying around the airport? Even with the no fly zones you will still be able to fly although limited in height which is fine for me.

thank you so much for your reply.

i don't need to be flying slose to the airport but i leave on the beach about 5 miles away and i know because of how convenient it is i would want to walk out of my place and just fly right there, it would be a easy way to practice without having to get in the car and go somewhere, i see people flying anf filming surfer but they all have the older version and most of them don't even know what the No FLOY ZONE is. It looks like i would be limited as far as how high i can go and i might be ok actually, thank you again.

Stephane
www.stephanecouture.com

Same here. Just outside the 5 mile limit. I fly low no higher than probably 180, mostly lower. Approach is off to the South of me so planes aren't an issue. I do keep an eye out for news and police copters just in case.

Jdacal said:
Same here. Just outside the 5 mile limit. I fly low no higher than probably 180, mostly lower. Approach is off to the South of me so planes aren't an issue. I do keep an eye out for news and police copters just in case.

I know what you mean about the news & police copters.

I was out flying the other day with some friends by Newport Harbor.

We were going to get video of them doing SUP (stand up paddle boarding) but this police helicopter kept circling the area really low. So I landed.

I found out later that they were looking for a robbery suspect. :eek:

Very easy to do.

Step one: Download the DJI Assistant software version 1.08 and open the program.

Step two: Connect your P2V+ to your computer

Step three: Update the firmware (disregard the warnings that there is a newer version).

Step four (optional): Perform IMU calibration, perform compass calibration.

Before you ask, download from here: http://droneslinger.com/software.html

Happy flying, but watch out for our big brothers around that airport, will ya?

Actually there's not that many airports included in the no-fly zone. If you go to DJI website and look at their listing most airports are not included.

PVFlyer said:
I heard a rumor saying there will be a ON/OFF switch somewhere in the app or assistant software to enable/disable no fly zone.

Doubt it, it's there for a reason, and a pretty good one at that.

kgarrison said:

The only reason it's likely there is because DJI's lawyers told them it would be an easy way for them to avoid liability if somebody did something stupid. That being said, once somebody buys one of these things they should have a right to do what they want with it. I'd have a very hard time faulting the manufacturer for the decisions that an individual consumer made.

DJI should remove the "feature" from their ROMs, or at least provide a means to disable it for those who wish to do so. Not everybody is happy flying a gimp-a-copter. ;)

CRankin said:
kgarrison said:

The only reason it's likely there is because DJI's lawyers told them it would be an easy way for them to avoid liability if somebody did something stupid. That being said, once somebody buys one of these things they should have a right to do what they want with it. I'd have a very hard time faulting the manufacturer for the decisions that an individual consumer made.

DJI should remove the "feature" from their ROMs, or at least provide a means to disable it for those who wish to do so. Not everybody is happy flying a gimp-a-copter. ;)

Really? So you cant see that no fly zones are a good idea? You can downgrade if you wish or buy some other make of quad.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Really? So you cant see that no fly zones are a good idea? You can downgrade if you wish or buy some other make of quad.

I can't see that being told what I can and can't do with a piece of equipment that I've purchased is a good idea, under any circumstance.

Would you be willing to buy a car that automatically limited speed to the published maximum speed limits on any roads? I wouldn't.

Would you be willing to buy an Internet connection that automatically limited you to only visiting sites that someone else had deemed were appropriate for supposedly others' safety? I wouldn't.

The same logic applies here. If I own the product, then I have a right to use it when and where I please. If people use it inappropriately, then fine - come after them with everything the law allows, throw the book at 'em, charge 'em, convict 'em, and punish 'em if necessary. But all people should not be given a gimped tool just because one or two may act stupidly.

What's next - placing functions to limit the types of pictures one can take because someone might want to try and violate someone else's privacy? Building in logic to allow authorities (and private citizens) to place some sort of beacons out to prevent flight in areas that arbitrarily and capriciously chosen as "no fly zones"? (That's essentially what DJI did, after all.)

Forcing people to use older versions of firmware which were technically not designed for the specific product is not the answer, either. Advocating this as a solution is essentially supporting a dangerous action, putting the public and owners at risk of being exposed to whatever bugs were present in those versions (which may have been addressed in current versions of the software).

Users have a right to fully use the equipment they purchased without artificial restrictions placed by manufacturers. If DJI doesn't address this, hopefully someone else will - either through hacking their firmware and putting an option in there, or offering an alternative firmware that compatible with the P2V+.

Reactions: gcoxusa
CRankin said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

I can't see that being told what I can and can't do with a piece of equipment that I've purchased is a good idea, under any circumstance.

Would you be willing to buy a car that automatically limited speed to the published maximum speed limits on any roads? I wouldn't.

Would you be willing to buy an Internet connection that automatically limited you to only visiting sites that someone else had deemed were appropriate for supposedly others' safety? I wouldn't.

The same logic applies here. If I own the product, then I have a right to use it when and where I please. If people use it inappropriately, then fine - come after them with everything the law allows, throw the book at 'em, charge 'em, convict 'em, and punish 'em if necessary. But all people should not be given a gimped tool just because one or two may act stupidly.

What's next - placing functions to limit the types of pictures one can take because someone might want to try and violate someone else's privacy? Building in logic to allow authorities (and private citizens) to place some sort of beacons out to prevent flight in areas that arbitrarily and capriciously chosen as "no fly zones"? (That's essentially what DJI did, after all.)

Forcing people to use older versions of firmware which were technically not designed for the specific product is not the answer, either. Advocating this as a solution is essentially supporting a dangerous action, putting the public and owners at risk of being exposed to whatever bugs were present in those versions (which may have been addressed in current versions of the software).

Users have a right to fully use the equipment they purchased without artificial restrictions placed by manufacturers. If DJI doesn't address this, hopefully someone else will - either through hacking their firmware and putting an option in there, or offering an alternative firmware that compatible with the P2V+.

The problem is it's not all about you.... Just because you want to do something doesn't make it a good idea. I am a professional pilot and I do not want to see a small flying object pass by my windscreen when I'm on final to an airport. If you take the time to look at the no-fly zones listed on the DJI website, they only incorporate the larger airports. And in my opinion the FAA has every right to protect the airspace around those airports. Having DJI step up and provide this protection before the FAA gets involved is a great idea. I live in Florida and I was curious as to the location of the no-fly zones near me. I have a buddy who wants me to come and video him during a race at Sebring. The race course at Sebring is on the airport property and I was concerned whether or not I be able to accomplish the filming. When you look at the website I was surprised to only find maybe five airports in the state of Florida with the no-fly zones. And they are all the major airports like Miami international, Orlando international, ETC. The airport at Sebring was not listed, so I can do the shoot there.

CRankin you make some valid points but me pesonally, I completely agree with the no fly zones and while Djis customer service really lacks I think they have excelled with the introduction of NFZ's

This is a major dilemma for me as I'm in the decision making process. Checked the list and my house is within the 5 mile restricted zone. Height limited I'm ok with since I'm not going to be going extremely high around here (if at all). One of my main projects for this is to film my wedding in September in Key West...and boom...Smathers Beach in the no fly zone. This changes things considerably if I can't fly it. Wasn't planning on going to extreme heights by any means. Mainly to get some aerial 360 and panning film of the ceremony. It's how I was able to justify it with the fiance.

I'm with CRavin on this topic and not for selfish reasons. I'm sure the decision was based on two factors: liability to the company and also to protect the blossoming business of quadcopter hobbyists. If the FAA sees they are being proactive to protect their interests, it'll help mitigate any regulations. With less restrictions, now you can continue to sell more quadcopters unabated.

I'm torn because I had just talked myself into the P2 V+. I don't really want to look at other models, but I may have to do that now.

Someone talk me down here. I suppose I could just get one, do my thing and then drop old firmware before going to Key West, then upgrade after. But ideally I'd like to have the top line bug fixes just in case.

CRankin said:
kgarrison said:

There was a Tiananmen Square conspiracy theory. China didn't like the idea of quads near there. So China politely asked DJI to make no fly zones.
http://www.dronejournalism.org/news/201 ... are-update

Stephcout said:
Hi Everyone,

i am a Photographer mainly as a hobby (http://www.stephanecouture.com) and i have been looking at the DJI quads for a while now for photography, my situation is simple i am about 5 miles from the a Major airport and i am wondering if it possible to desactivate the NO FlY ZONE if i want to fly close to my house?

Any imput on this would be well appreciated, thank you.

Stephane
http://www.stephanecouture.com

Where have I met you? Maybe burningman? I remember your photography and I look at your work and think, wow. You take pictures, right. get a phantom with a camera and take some more pictures. Don't wait, kinda like that first computer. I look forward to what you might find to photograph.

For those of you who are afraid of the no-fly zones, I urge you to study it. You'll see that it is not as restrictive as you think.

And OP, you're a great photographer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.