Depth perception

Reaction score
I'm here in north county San Diego and the whales are starting their journey north. I can head down to the beach and see the spouts on any given day.

A few times now I have attempted to find them for some great video and pictures. Seems easy enough but seeing the spouts as they breath and getting above them is quite a challenge

Seems when I'm out 2,500 feet or so I have a terrible time finding them on my screen. They will only come up for a few min then dive back down for somewhere between 5 and 10 min. Then back up again

It's the depth perception I can't seem to get a grip on. I bring back the video and I'm far off...

Guess I'm looking for advice. Suggestions. Strategies. Other then getting on a boat and chasing um done then take off.

When you fly that far away without any markers all I see is blue water.

Thanks in advance

I'm here in north county San Diego and the whales are starting their journey north. I can head down to the beach and see the spouts on any given day.
A few times now I have attempted to find them for some great video and pictures. Seems easy enough but seeing the spouts as they breath and getting above them is quite a challenge
Seems when I'm out 2,500 feet or so I have a terrible time finding them on my screen. They will only come up for a few min then dive back down for somewhere between 5 and 10 min. Then back up again
At 2500 feet, you've got a very difficult task.
Your Phantom is very far off and you have no idea if you need to be a little to the left or right or back or forward.
There just aren't any visual clues to help you out at sea unless you happen to fluke it and put your bird right where the action is.
Your target isn't going to be visible unless you manage to be within maybe 100 feet and have the sun behind you.

I tried to shoot dolphins at about 900 feet several times and it's pretty difficult.
DJI02674a-XL.jpg

Go high, get a big view and spot your target, then lower (quickly) to it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4