Deer chase! Bad ending...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score

While driving, I spotted some deer on a hill. Luckily I had my P3A with me, so I took off to get some close up footage. When I got near them, they took off, so I gave chase!

Once they got close to the tree line, I started to lose signal. I tried to climb in altitude, but in the heat of the moment I pressed forward instead of up and blasted full speed into the forest.

I made it a good ways in through the trees before it was finally taken down. Luckily it didn't do anything but break a prop, and it didn't even stop recording, so I was able to quickly track it down with GPS and make the recovery.

The deer won this battle, but I will be back...

Awesome effort. Did the adrenaline get the better of you?!

UK

Wasn't just a bad ending but being you were really harassing the wildlife so it wasn't a good start ether .
Taking pictures of them is one thing but chasing them is another .
JMO

"Drones can also change the natural behavior of wildlife and lead to unnecessary energy expenditures. This has the potential to affect survival and reproductive success in many species. Animals can be injured when attempting to escape or avoid drone activity. We are therefore really concerned with drones, their effect on wildlife, and our ability to preserve the natural environment."
–Wildlife biologist Cassie Waters

Not sure it's illegal everywhere but it's at least illegal in National Parks and several states. No offense intended but videos such at this certainly are not going to help in the public's view.

Yep, adrenaline definitely got the best of me! Wow, harassment. I didn't think of it that way. Hunting deer is one thing, but 10 seconds of flying above deer is much worse. I wish I could offer some sort of deer therapy.
Flying above them is one thing ..chasing is another and ya see what it got ya .

Wasn't just a bad ending but being you were really harassing the wildlife so it wasn't a good start ether .
Taking pictures of them is one thing but chasing them is another .
JMO
This from you, Dirk? I'm frownin a little. Not usually your style!

I didnt call it loss when i got footage of my bird falling from the sky. I rebuilt it & i love the crash footage .
Also point out that nobody ever gets mad when you watch this exact same footage from a helicopter rig on the discovery channel chasing a herd of something or another. But because it's a tiny little UAV where literally he was proposing no danger. People are to judgy!

I didnt call it loss when i got footage of my bird falling from the sky. I rebuilt it & i love the crash footage .
Also point out that nobody ever gets mad when you watch this exact same footage from a helicopter rig on the discovery channel chasing a herd of something or another. But because it's a tiny little UAV where literally he was proposing no danger. People are to judgy!

You may want to read my post above as it _does_ pose a danger to wildlife. Its the reason why it's illegal in several states and its one of the main reason's why drones are not banned in all National Parks. Setting that aside, there are going to be a _lot_ of people that will get upset about watching that video (the sound track does not help). I'm not judging anyone... it's just a fact. It could be said that the operator was so focused on chasing deer with the drone that he did not even realize that he was flying into trees.

As mentioned, getting video or photos of wildlife is perfectly fine. Clearly chasing them into a panicked run is not (again... illegal in a lot of states). Putting it to music to further show they are being chased... well...

DB I'm not gonna going to go into this with you about this and I did say it was JMO .
I have fell from the sky lots and just did this week and totaled my P2 and am just redoing it..again.
I also have the footage from some of those crash's and have posted them .
I also fly like a crazy monkey But I do not chase wildlife .
And as tcope pointed out.. here in MS it is illegal to do such .

Reactions: dirtybum
Yep, adrenaline definitely got the best of me! Wow, harassment. I didn't think of it that way. Hunting deer is one thing, but 10 seconds of flying above deer is much worse. I wish I could offer some sort of deer therapy.

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly. Maybe if we give them the right to vote they will forgive you.

Enjoyed the footage. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Criminey... I think I threw up in my mouth a little on some of the comments. I am willing to bet none of the deer died from running a couple hundred yards. Jeebus Mary and Joseph...

Good footage.. Really cool. I think if you had been up a little bit higher you would have been able to get a better look at them before they ran. Cool nonetheless.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Criminey... I think I threw up in my mouth a little on some of the comments. I am willing to bet none of the deer died from running a couple hundred yards. Jeebus Mary and Joseph...

I think you missed the point entirely. As mentioned, in several states this is an illegal act. It's one of the main reason's we can no longer fly in National Parks. What happened with the deer is the _far_ lesser point. It's videos like this that will allow lawmakers to make more laws against drone flying. It's simply great ammunition for them.

It's like shooting a gun from a drone... hey, it's not like he shot and killed anyone... so it's perfectly fine. Now every lawmaker uses that as an example why we should not be allowed to fly drones.

The audio and sound effects were a great match.

But the chasing any animal is totally unacceptable.

It's videos like this that will allow lawmakers to make more laws against drone flying. .
A lot of lawmakers are control freaks who no nothing about the laws they are making. They think they know what's best for everybody but make decisions based on their opinion. If they decided the deer population would benefit from a regulated exercise program they would try and pass a law mandating we chase them..... It's one of the reasons the EPA thinks they can change the weather.

To the OP - Great footage including the audio choice!

The audio and sound effects were a great match.

But the chasing any animal is totally unacceptable.
Except CATS!
image.jpeg

Kidding, it's an avatar thing.;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Hunting deer is one thing, but 10 seconds of flying above deer is much worse. I wish I could offer some sort of deer therapy.
Just so you know, I am not a tree hugging animal lover. I speed and have actually flown beyond line of site. When I was 13, I ran from the constable once on my Suzuki 75 and got away with it baby. So, yeah.....I live on the edge.

I have to admit. I might have put a bird in the air, but don't think I would have given chase when they alerted and took off.

And yes...hunting is one thing. I hunt and fish (legally) and eat what I take. I don't chase the herd for sport...that's what wild dogs do for pleasure. So maybe it isn't the deer that needs therapy?

How did you track it with GPRS .?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj