Decision Time: iPad Mini 2 or Nvidia Shield?

Reaction score
I know some answers might be out there, and the two tablets have been on the market for some time. Yet, I'm curious to ge 'modern' opinions (justified) of the two tablets, Pros and Cons of each ... etc.

I like the sharpness of the iPad screen, yet the built-in GPS of the Shield. Both are available for $200.

You cannot go wrong with either device. Go with the device that has the features you need and/or the OS you're more comfortable using.

My suggestion, as well - use what you're already accustomed to. Is your phone android or iOS? There's your answer. I'm using an iPad Mini 2 since I've been using iOS devices since 2007. The iPad works extremely well. Also, if you use DJI Go and Litchi, Android devices are reputed to start up the Litchi app in the background causing conflicts while using Go. I can't speak to this, as it hasn't been an issue on the iPad.

if you use DJI Go and Litchi, Android devices are reputed to start up the Litchi app in the background causing conflicts while using Go.
This sounds like a configuration issue. I've never experienced this issue with my Nvidia Shield K1 or my other Android devices.

This sounds like a configuration issue. I've never experienced this issue with my Nvidia Shield K1 or my other Android devices.

This is a potential issue I only recently read about. It may be limited to a single manufacturer or even a single user. Just passing it along as one consideration. The Shield appears to be a great device to use with the Phantom based on reports I've read. I've only experienced the iPad.

Last edited:
Yes, the Nvidia Shield K1 is awesome. Like yourself though, I do enjoy using my Apple devices. That's what I fly with most of the time.

Thank you Guys ... I was hoping for a simple answer, obviously there is no such thing :).

So, I've been using iPads for a while now and not too familiar with Android devices, yet I do like the Shield as it has built-in GPS. WIth the iPad, you need to get the cellular option as the WIFI only does not have a GPS sensor. An iPad with Cellular costs twice as much as the WIFI ($400 vs $200), plus requires a data plan (darn!). The one thing I do not like much about the shield is ... well, call me superficial, ... a black tablet does not sit too well on a white controller.

So then, for those who're using a WIFI only iPad ... any regrets about not going for something different?

Sorry, this is dragging for more than it needs to.

I started with an iPad 2 but have switched to a Shield.
The business about DJI-GO clashing with Litchi is easily fixed. Don't set either of them to be the default app. When you plug in your controller it will ask you which one to use.
I much prefer the Shield.
It has a GPS so allows you to change the Home Point on the fly.
It has an HDMI output
It does native screen recording
You don't need iTunes
It has a more powerful CPU but I wasn't having lag issues with the iPad
Android is generally more flexible in terms of configuring things, might not worry you though if it's dedicated. If you want to dig out files it's much easier.
I prefer the screen shape, but that's personal.
They're the main advantages. It has been rock solid I think it just gives you a more complete system than does the Ipad. It definitely big enough, and a bigger scrteen is just a waste of money.

Oh, I also got a 3D printed sun shield which just clips over the Shield once it's in the controller, very convenient. It also came with a little plastic bar with two slots which fit over the controller antennae to keep them in the same plane and parallel.

Thank you Guys ... I was hoping for a simple answer, obviously there is no such thing :).

So, I've been using iPads for a while now and not too familiar with Android devices, yet I do like the Shield as it has built-in GPS. WIth the iPad, you need to get the cellular option as the WIFI only does not have a GPS sensor. An iPad with Cellular costs twice as much as the WIFI ($400 vs $200), plus requires a data plan (darn!). The one thing I do not like much about the shield is ... well, call me superficial, ... a black tablet does not sit too well on a white controller.

So then, for those who're using a WIFI only iPad ... any regrets about not going for something different?

Sorry, this is dragging for more than it needs to.

iPad mini 2 doesn't have a bright enough screen, I hated it, even with a sun shade.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

One other thing to consider, I was reading the Litchi User Guide for Android, and it said there were some functions that were not supported in the iOS version.

Don't know if this is still the case, but it says that Litchi was developed for Andoid and is slowly being converted for use under iOS.

This is in the User Guide on the Litchi Help web page.

I've used both my iPhone 6 Plus and my wifi only iPad Mini 2. The only negative I've found with the iPad is, like mentioned above, sometimes the screen does get washed out - even with the hood. I've never used an iPad with cellular, so I can't relate those experiences. I've also never used an Android tablet with my Phantom. The one we have (with cellular) isn't compatible with DJI Go and, that being the case, I'm hesitant to try it with Litchi. That tablet is only two years old and won't run Go. My iPad Mini 2 is pushing three and it has no problems. I wasn't aware of any advantages the cellular iPad had over wifi only, so I'm anxious to hear of any others besides homepoint being changed on the go...

I've used both my iPhone 6 Plus and my wifi only iPad Mini 2. The only negative I've found with the iPad is, like mentioned above, sometimes the screen does get washed out - even with the hood. I've never used an iPad with cellular, so I can't relate those experiences. I've also never used an Android tablet with my Phantom. The one we have (with cellular) isn't compatible with DJI Go and, that being the case, I'm hesitant to try it with Litchi. That tablet is only two years old and won't run Go. My iPad Mini 2 is pushing three and it has no problems. I wasn't aware of any advantages the cellular iPad had over wifi only, so I'm anxious to hear of any others besides homepoint being changed on the go...

Well, as far as I understand it, there are multiple ways to 'play' with the drone:

1. Manual, where the motion is controlled by all the joysticks
2. Pre-Planned, where you input a set of GPS coordinates, and have the drone go through those (waypoints)
3. Follow Me, where you hop in your vehicle, start driving around, at your drone will follow you.

The drone already has a built-in GPS sensor/receiver so, the discussion below is only for GPS capability of the Tablet.

For #1, no need for GPS on the tablet, unless you want to ensure your home position (for Return to Home) is the latest. You do not want to go fly in a field somewhere, and you drone to think home is 20 miles away.

For #2, again no need for GPS on the tablet, except possibly during programming of the mission.

For #3, the way the drone track YOUR movement, is via the GPS coordinates of the tablet/phone running the App (DJI Go or else). As such, you need a tablet that has built-in a GPS sensor/receiver.

Most/many tablet manufacturers (e.g. Samsung) do include GPS sensors in their product, almost by default. For Apple however, they include GPS ONLY in the high-end Cellular-enabled devices. For WIFI-only devices (iPad and iPod Touch), there is no on-board GPS. As such, if you want to use 'Follow-Me, you need a cellular-capable Apple device. It is not that Cellular is needed (unless you want live maps), it is rather that only the Cellular devices have a built-in GPS sensor/receiver ... Yes, one more reason to be 'upset' at Apple.

Reactions: Vinman
I bought an iPad mini 2 wifi cellular on eBay for &170 like brand new . In box with all accessories even had the plastic on it. That's where to get it at. You can hotspot to your phone is nice . You don't have to have simm card for it to work

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JB63
Well, as far as I understand it, there are multiple ways to 'play' with the drone:

1. Manual, where the motion is controlled by all the joysticks
2. Pre-Planned, where you input a set of GPS coordinates, and have the drone go through those (waypoints)
3. Follow Me, where you hop in your vehicle, start driving around, at your drone will follow you.

The drone already has a built-in GPS sensor/receiver so, the discussion below is only for GPS capability of the Tablet.

For #1, no need for GPS on the tablet, unless you want to ensure your home position (for Return to Home) is the latest. You do not want to go fly in a field somewhere, and you drone to think home is 20 miles away.

For #2, again no need for GPS on the tablet, except possibly during programming of the mission.

For #3, the way the drone track YOUR movement, is via the GPS coordinates of the tablet/phone running the App (DJI Go or else). As such, you need a tablet that has built-in a GPS sensor/receiver.

Most/many tablet manufacturers (e.g. Samsung) do include GPS sensors in their product, almost by default. For Apple however, they include GPS ONLY in the high-end Cellular-enabled devices. For WIFI-only devices (iPad and iPod Touch), there is no on-board GPS. As such, if you want to use 'Follow-Me, you need a cellular-capable Apple device. It is not that Cellular is needed (unless you want live maps), it is rather that only the Cellular devices have a built-in GPS sensor/receiver ... Yes, one more reason to be 'upset' at Apple.

Ok, that third point makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1