Decent monitor for P4P video editing

Reaction score
Any recommendation for a good monitor that has color calibration and displays the colors as they are? I want to start doing things right and use a decent monitor so I can see my P4P footage as close to reality as possible. Any recommendation? I will be using Windows OS. Thanks a lot

Sent from my Nexus 6P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think you need to look that the whole package. PC, video card and monitor. Add to that a tool for testing calibration on a routine basis. I sure you will get good feedback here, but I would also look on some of the photography boards where they are really obsessed with minute color settings. Like we're not :) Also with the realization you need to tune for the end output device. If the goal is print, you tune the colors for the printer/paper selections. If video to be displayed elsewhere, what may look good on your PC with look different on a screen in another location.

Hello there ! Some years ago I decided to do the same as you do, i.e. getting a good monitor for graphic design (print) and photography editing.

I've done a lot of research and there's a lot of professional monitors, but I was looking for something affordable and practical (a good monitor foot that can rotate the monitor easily).
You have to decide either you will perform a manual color calibration after purchasing the monitor, or if you are looking to get a factory calibrated monitor.

I depends also on what you plan on doing with your edited photos and videos :

If it's mainly photos that you want to process, and then you want to print them, then you might need to get a calibration device to match perfectly with the printer you'll be using.
On the other hand, if you plan on taking videos, editing them, and then posting them on the internet, consider the following : almost everybody watching your video won't see the same thing as you do ! Because they all have different monitors, color, brightness, contract and such will be different for them (can be slightly, or really crappy).

So in this case, calibration with a device isn't really necessary, and you should only get a good factory calibrated monitor.
Not everyone will see the difference on internet, but at least you'll have good colors to work on !
And if it's needed for a professional use, you'll still be able to provide good quality work.

I'm using the Asus ProArt series at home, and I have 3 of them in a multi-monitor setup : 1x PA238Q and 2x PA248Q, which are 24" monitors, with IPS panel.
The calibration is almost always good out of the box with these series, but you'll be free to search more infos on that on the net.

I'm sure there is plenty of other monitors that could be as great as they are !

Also, I agree with FlyGary and you might also consider upgrading your hardware if you haven't done it already.
To do some video editing and exporting, my advice would be to have at least a good intel i5 or i7, and at least 16gb of ram (especially if you plan of using 4k videos, those are heavy to process).
Also, having a good graphic card is essential, as far as a lot of editing software now uses CUDA to export or process video. Graphics cards are needed in any case to preview/play/edit videos and images smoothly. To give you an example, I'm working with an i7 6700k with 32gb DDR4, and a GTX 980 - which is quite a good build - but sometimes I still have some lagging/slowing issues when reading or editing full 4k videos !

Good luck in your search !

Last edited:
Any recommendation for a good monitor that has color calibration and displays the colors as they are? I want to start doing things right and use a decent monitor so I can see my P4P footage as close to reality as possible. Any recommendation? I will be using Windows OS. Thanks a lot

Everything Flygary and Kewdo said are spot on man. If your talking just monitors I would highly suggest taking a look at LG's stuff. Fantastic monitors especially for the price. Their 4K model is the bomb I guess. I have their 29in Ultrawide monitor and absolutely love it.

NEC packages an LCD calibration sensor that will hit it dead nuts on. Uses x-rites i1 Display technology. nuff said.

Hello there ! Some years ago I decided to do the same as you do, i.e. getting a good monitor for graphic design (print) and photography editing.

I've done a lot of research and there's a lot of professional monitors, but I was looking for something affordable and practical (a good monitor foot that can rotate the monitor easily).
You have to decide either you will perform a manual color calibration after purchasing the monitor, or if you are looking to get a factory calibrated monitor.

I depends also on what you plan on doing with your edited photos and videos :

If it's mainly photos that you want to process, and then you want to print them, then you might need to get a calibration device to match perfectly with the printer you'll be using.
On the other hand, if you plan on taking videos, editing them, and then posting them on the internet, consider the following : almost everybody watching your video won't see the same thing as you do ! Because they all have different monitors, color, brightness, contract and such will be different for them (can be slightly, or really crappy).

So in this case, calibration with a device isn't really necessary, and you should only get a good factory calibrated monitor.
Not everyone will see the difference on internet, but at least you'll have good colors to work on !
And if it's needed for a professional use, you'll still be able to provide good quality work.

I'm using the Asus ProArt series at home, and I have 3 of them in a multi-monitor setup : 1x PA238Q and 2x PA248Q, which are 24" monitors, with IPS panel.
The calibration is almost always good out of the box with these series, but you'll be free to search more infos on that on the net.

I'm sure there is plenty of other monitors that could be as great as they are !

Also, I agree with FlyGary and you might also consider upgrading your hardware if you haven't done it already.
To do some video editing and exporting, my advice would be to have at least a good intel i5 or i7, and at least 16gb of ram (especially if you plan of using 4k videos, those are heavy to process).
Also, having a good graphic card is essential, as far as a lot of editing software now uses CUDA to export or process video. Graphics cards are needed in any case to preview/play/edit videos and images smoothly. To give you an example, I'm working with an i7 6700k with 32gb DDR4, and a GTX 980 - which is quite a good build - but sometimes I still have some lagging/slowing issues when reading or editing full 4k videos !

Good luck in your search !
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, it helped a lot. I want it mainly for photo retouching and video editing, no printing. I was looking at Dell 32 ultrasharp. What about a decent graphic card to work primarily with Premiere Pro? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, it helped a lot. I want it mainly for photo retouching and video editing, no printing. I was looking at Dell 32 ultrasharp. What about a decent graphic card to work primarily with Premiere Pro? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Well, I don't know the monitor you are talking about, but with 32" you'll have a really decent monitor to work on !

Regarding graphic cards, there's kind of an eternal fight between ATI and Nvidia - and both have some good and some bad products.
It's mainly a personnal choice to go for one or another - but be careful of what you say about it in public 'cause it's a slippery slope haha !

I am personnaly using a Nvidia GTX 980 as I said before, and it's a great card that is already a few months old.
Since then, Nvidia released the 10xx series, with the 1070 and 1080 beeing a huge success in the end of 2016.
With these releases, the price of the previous serie (9xx series) dropped quite a lot, and it's still an interesting deal !

If you plan on gaming a lot, and doing some VR, you might consider taking the latest series as it will last longer (more years without becoming too weak).
But with the GTX 980, you'll still be able to play all recent games in high settings, and do some video editing without an issue ! I play quite a lot, on VR too (HTC Vive), and never had an issue.

Getting the 9xx series will be far less expensive than the 10xx series, and prices will continue to drop in the next months.
But if you can, try and get a GTX 980 Ti (more shaders), which is a bit more powerful (10 or 15%) than the 980 and should have decent prices now !

Reactions: setandforget
Getting the 9xx series will be far less expensive than the 10xx series, and prices will continue to drop in the next months.
But if you can, try and get a GTX 980 Ti (more shaders), which is a bit more powerful (10 or 15%) than the 980 and should have decent prices now !
I'm not sure why you'd recommend the GTX980 when you said yourself that you're having problems editing or playback of 4K videos using that card. It's questionable if that older card supports H.265 adequately for smooth 4K playbacks. I would hope that is support H.264 since that's been around a while, but H.265 in the P4P and I2 sports H.265, which I'd recommend buying something that supports decoding with that codec, such as GTX1080 for example.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl