Debating between two antenna mods for P3 Standard

Reaction score
Although I plan on upgrading to the PS Advanced or Pro later this year, I am in need of a antenna mod to increase signal. I keep getting disconnected from the camera and have to go back into WiFi settings to get the camera again. I make sure to block all open WiFi networks on my phone (Android). I did the Windsurfer mod today but have not yet tested it out to see if there is any improvement in camera signal.

The two mods I am interested in are:

DBS http://www.ebay.com/itm/Itelite-DBS-Flight-Range-Extender-Antenna-ITE-DBS01-v-1-DJI-Phantom-3-Standard-/321995246520?hash=item4af8698bb8:g:uL0AAOSw--1WrsK-

or

ARGtek High Gain Antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/161946460273?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Just wanted to get some advice or your own setup so I can make an informed decision to see which direction I will go. I am NOT so much in need of distance/range as I am need of camera signal connection not dropping every minute.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions: jointeffort
Depends on how much you really want to spend.

The following information has been gleaned from previous post on both of the mods.

ARGtek High Gain Antenna will get you more on the video part as it brings the 2.4g antennas outside of the controller which will give you a bit more range for the video.
Currently the Standard 2.4g antennas are located inside the controller. You also have the chance of covering the internal wifi 2.4 antennas with your hands depending on how you hold yopur controller.
The DBS mod will increase both the wifi and the radio for the controller. It also brings out the 2.4g antennas from inside the controller.

Your distance will vary depending on location and conditions.

So, if you want to spend a little more to get more range both ways then you would probably go with the DBS mod.

If you want to save some money and are only concerned with a small increase in radio range but a larger increase with the video then you would want to go with the ARGtek.

Myself, I am happy with the distance I can travel. I wanted the video not to cut out on me when I get out there. I went with the ARGtek. Have it but have not installed it yet. Like I said, the info above was a result of my own search for the same question you had. This was what I decided to do.

Mike

Although I plan on upgrading to the PS Advanced or Pro later this year, I am in need of a antenna mod to increase signal. I keep getting disconnected from the camera and have to go back into WiFi settings to get the camera again. I make sure to block all open WiFi networks on my phone (Android). I did the Windsurfer mod today but have not yet tested it out to see if there is any improvement in camera signal.

The two mods I am interested in are:

DBS http://www.ebay.com/itm/Itelite-DBS-Flight-Range-Extender-Antenna-ITE-DBS01-v-1-DJI-Phantom-3-Standard-/321995246520?hash=item4af8698bb8:g:uL0AAOSw--1WrsK-

or

ARGtek High Gain Antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/161946460273?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Just wanted to get some advice or your own setup so I can make an informed decision to see which direction I will go. I am NOT so much in need of distance/range as I am need of camera signal connection not dropping every minute.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I ordered the argtek but have yet to receive it. Should be coming around the 17th of this month. I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Depends on how much you really want to spend.

The following information has been gleaned from previous post on both of the mods.

ARGtek High Gain Antenna will get you more on the video part as it brings the 2.4g antennas outside of the controller which will give you a bit more range for the video.
Currently the Standard 2.4g antennas are located inside the controller. You also have the chance of covering the internal wifi 2.4 antennas with your hands depending on how you hold yopur controller.
The DBS mod will increase both the wifi and the radio for the controller. It also brings out the 2.4g antennas from inside the controller.

Your distance will vary depending on location and conditions.

So, if you want to spend a little more to get more range both ways then you would probably go with the DBS mod.

If you want to save some money and are only concerned with a small increase in radio range but a larger increase with the video then you would want to go with the ARGtek.

Myself, I am happy with the distance I can travel. I wanted the video not to cut out on me when I get out there. I went with the ARGtek. Have it but have not installed it yet. Like I said, the info above was a result of my own search for the same question you had. This was what I decided to do.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I appreciate the information. I spent some time reading on the forums and I like the fact I don't mess up the factory controller with the ARGtek mod. I am more concerned with video and not range as most of my shoots are within LOS. I didn't want to waste the money on the other one as I plan on upgrading to an advanced or pro sometime this summer. Thanks again. Let me know how it works out for you.

OK will do. I probably won't install until this weekend. Been very busy. But I will post here the results.

Mike

Will either of these antenna mods still allow the controller to fit inside the DJI backpack? Since the ArgTek allows the antennas to be easily removed from the plastic bar on which they are mounted, the only problem might be the width of that mounting piece. Has anyone tried either of these mods and been able to fit the drone into a DJI backpack?

Reactions: jointeffort
Well, didn't have much to do today so I installed the ARGtek mod to my Standard controller this morning. I took it out for a spin. This is what I got:
2 Runs
Alt 394 feet for both runs
Light wind. 22 degrees F
Over open fields. No obstructions.

1st run was 3800+ feet before I lost signal. (north)
2nd run was 4500+ feet before i lost signal. (west)

Video was good throughout the runs. Seemed to get a little jumpy as I got close to landing but I think they may be the antenna. I am still playing with the placement for best results.

All in all, I am very happy. I am never really going out that far anyway. I just wanted to make sure I got FPV the whole time.

Hope this helps out.

Mike

Has anyone used this long range kit on the standard
P3S-450x372.jpg

I have seen that. Looks too much like a ray gun from Flash Gordon. I thought if someone saw me with that attached to my controller they would call Homeland Security on me....lol

Which one, they make a ton of boosters in both the 5.8 and 2.4 ranges.

Will either of these antenna mods still allow the controller to fit inside the DJI backpack? Since the ArgTek allows the antennas to be easily removed from the plastic bar on which they are mounted, the only problem might be the width of that mounting piece. Has anyone tried either of these mods and been able to fit the drone into a DJI backpack?

Just installed the FPVLR.com in kingfishers photo,I'll let you know how it does.Hopefully be able to fly tomorrow,weather dependent !

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm interested to see how that works out for you. I have the ArgTek but I'm not sure I'm gonna use it or not. Might get the DBS or FPVLR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers