DBS Mod

Reaction score
First test flight out tonight! And WOW. Took her to 4000' out with no loss in signal at all. This is double my normal length. Could have kept pushing but I got scared. By the way Big Chuck at DBS is an outstanding guy!

5 Stars!

First test flight out tonight! And WOW. Took her to 4000' out with no loss in signal at all. This is double my normal length. Could have kept pushing but I got scared. By the way Big Chuck at DBS is an outstanding guy!

5 Stars!
You're gonna want a battery mod next! ;)
Longer range means longer flight times, which will lead you to wanting a battery mod to exceed the 15-17 internal battery flight time. Good times ahead!

Last edited:
Reactions: zrherda
facepalm.jpg

Never tried em bro :) Just antennas . That's enough to keep me busy .
Yeah, the antenna mods really beef up the reliability of the signal and video feed over short distances and directly overhead, too, which is where my stock transmitter would often lose signal, even with the antennas parallel to the ground. Really messes up your spherical panorama shots when it keeps ascending to your RTH height and changes direction on its own, You keep having to descend back to the chosen pano altitude and start all over!

Reactions: dirkclod
I am still considering adding amps for the best range penetration. Will they help in that regard?

I am still considering adding amps for the best range penetration. Will they help in that regard?
Absolutely. They increase range by another 20% or so, and give more robust stability at closer distances. Only downside is the extra battery you have to use with them, and the extra weight of the amps themselves and the platform they mount on. Also, you cannot use them with a dead amp battery or with the battery off, as you can if you didn't have their circuitry impedence. I keep forgetting to turn the amp battery on, and it immediately starts RTH at about 400 feet away, until I turn the battery on, and then cancel RTH! Annoying, but I keep forgetting. :oops: Disconnecting the amps electrically to fly without them is not practical because of the difficulty of tightening and untightening the connectors in a tight space. So, I just leave mine permanently attached, and charge the battery after every hour of flying, and keep an extra battery on hand, too. Don't forget to turn the amp battery off after each flight too!

Absolutely. They increase range by another 20% or so, and give more robust stability at closer distances. Only downside is the extra battery you have to use with them, and the extra weight of the amps themselves and the platform they mount on. Also, you cannot use them with a dead amp battery or with the battery off, as you can if you didn't have their circuitry impedence. I keep forgetting to turn the amp battery on, and it immediately starts RTH at about 400 feet away, until I turn the battery on, and then cancel RTH! Annoying, but I keep forgetting. :oops: Disconnecting the amps electrically to fly without them is not practical because of the difficulty of tightening and untightening the connectors in a tight space. So, I just leave mine permanently attached, and charge the battery after every hour of flying, and keep an extra battery on hand, too. Don't forget to turn the amp battery off after each flight too!

What battery would you recommend?

Think I've settled on a bigger charger that I'll strap to the back. I really want to get more distance and penetration. My RC signal is amazing with the DBS mod and the video signal is great but that is what is going out on me now.
Cool. Same here, as far as the video still being weaker, and still dropping out for seconds at long distance, while transmitter signal is rarely ever actually lost, so no RTH issues like before. As I understand it, the video feed can really only be improved by a birdside mod that costs about $150, and it can be made 18x stronger than it is now. I'm considering it.

My antenna came in, I know Dirk hates the "through the antenna hole" look but I wanted to try it out before drilling holes. It's a little windy here today so only took it about 1800 ft out over trees which is about 400 ft more than usual range. Video feed started to weaken but had full control.

:) Hey that's just me .lol Looks good and glad you got more distance .You have any issues with the install ?

I accidentally cut one of the wires of the original antennas but that's it.

I took it out again and got 2400 ft. Given the fact there's trees all around it's a BIG improvement. I did order the thicker cables as well just to see if that increases range at all but otherwise I'm more than satisfied.

I accidentally cut one of the wires of the original antennas but that's it.

I took it out again and got 2400 ft. Given the fact there's trees all around it's a BIG improvement. I did order the thicker cables as well just to see if that increases range at all but otherwise I'm more than satisfied.
Well that's great and if ya decide for any reason ya need to put em back I have 2 I took out .
Not no putting them back ...done got 4 holes in my shell :eek:
Think our flying is over for a few days .

Reactions: Shelbz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers