DBS Mod

Reaction score
Think I'm going to try it myself.. I have a precision tool kit. Anything else I'll need?

1/4" drill bit.

I like to add a little Goop brand adhesive or hot glue to the coax connectors after you attach them to board to keep them secure. Otherwise pretty simple install.

Reactions: dirkclod
Can you use hot glue on electronics ?
Never had an issue. You are just adding a drop where the coax connector hooks to to the connector on side of board. The cables are somewhat twisted into place and nice to have something to keep them from coming loose.

Goop brand adhesive is my choice but its slow to dry.

Just make sure after the install that you always turn off the RC before you remove the cables to it. I like to remove the DBS so the RC will fit into my case and if you forget to turn it off before removing the cables, you'll fry the RC.

DBS's reply to my question.

It's a definite "possibility"... with most transmitters the 50 ohm load is needed on the radio or it will eventually burn out over time.

DBS

Never had an issue. You are just adding a drop where the coax connector hooks to to the connector on side of board. The cables are somewhat twisted into place and nice to have something to keep them from coming loose.

Goop brand adhesive is my choice but its slow to dry.
I have always just used the hot glue that I swiped from my wife and is the white stick in a gun. I just redid a couple of mods from about 6 month's ago and that had started coming loose.
Got this stick from a radiator shop glue stick.jpg and is the best stuff I have ever used .Way better than that white stick I used .
After it cools it's a little harder to get off than the white stuff DJI uses but not like that black goo of death . :eek:
Part houses should have it .
Your welcome :cool:

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the info! I ordered it today so I'll just it a shot in the next few days.

1/4" drill bit.

I like to add a little Goop brand adhesive or hot glue to the coax connectors after you attach them to board to keep them secure. Otherwise pretty simple install.

I'm surprised you find this necessary. After I connected the cables it didn't feel like there was any chance of them coming loose.

On another note - what's the best way to drill through the controller? When I installed the antenna the 1/4 drill bit grabbed the plastic so hard it was trying to spin the controller in my hand. I eventually had to start with a very small drill bit and slowly work my way up. Even then, it was trying to bind/grab the plastic.

I'm surprised you find this necessary. After I connected the cables it didn't feel like there was any chance of them coming loose.

On another note - what's the best way to drill through the controller? When I installed the antenna the 1/4 drill bit grabbed the plastic so hard it was trying to spin the controller in my hand. I eventually had to start with a very small drill bit and slowly work my way up. Even then, it was trying to bind/grab the plastic.
I'm surprised you find it not necessary . Was there not some on the cable you took off .
And on your other note. Always start off with a smaller bit and work up to the size you want and Always look on the other side of where ya drilling so you don't hit no wires if you starting your hole from the outside of your case .
Start your drill slow .

I'm surprised you find it not necessary . Was there not some on the cable you took off .
And on your other note. Always start off with a smaller bit and work up to the size you want and Always look on the other side of where ya drilling so you don't hit no wires if you starting your hole from the outside of your case .
Start your drill slow .

There was some on the cable but not on the actual connection. Your original post made it sound like you added glue to the actual connection. I assume you meant the cable.

Thanks for the info on the drilling.

There was some on the cable but not on the actual connection. Your original post made it sound like you added glue to the actual connection. I assume you meant the cable.

Thanks for the info on the drilling.
The goo or whatever ya call it has always been partly on the connecter and board and had to use an x-acto blade to get it off on all the ones I have took off . I thought it was on all the connecters .
But always better to be safe than OH-Crap :eek: ;)
I have done it a bunch and have always just put some back on wotblake .Just on top of the connecter to the board .

FWIW, I left my original rabbit ears in place. The DBS easily clears them and there is no interference with the wires. This meant I could leave the original rabbit ear wires in place after unlugging them.
I know this makes for a less clean look, but on the other hand it is much easier to revert to the original configuration if I ever had to.
The hardest part of this relatively easy job is reattaching the pc flex strip to the gimbal circuit board. It can be tricky and I found that a needle nose plier with a 90 degree bend was a great help.

I love unibits (step bit). They dont grab and make a perfect hole.

The goo or whatever ya call it has always been partly on the connecter and board and had to use an x-acto blade to get it off on all the ones I have took off . I thought it was on all the connecters . .

Hey Dirk, they stopped gluing the actual connector on the P3s like the older ones but the cables are glued in place. Much easier install.

But the new cables need to be bent around to get to fit and a little dab of glue does not hurt.

Hey Dirk, they stopped gluing the actual connector on the P3s like the older ones but the cables are glued in place. Much easier install.

But the new cables need to be bent around to get to fit and a little dab of glue does not hurt.
Well crap ! Ya mean I gotta learn all over again next week ! ;)
Sorry wot I'm old school I guess :)
**** new stuff gonna be the end of me !

Hey guys, I only got 6000 feet with my DBS mod antenna then I started losing video and RC connection. I thought it was supposed to go double that distance, right?

Hey guys, I only got 6000 feet with my DBS mod antenna then I started losing video and RC connection. I thought it was supposed to go double that distance, right?

How many times are you going to post the same thing over? A little reading and searching and you would have the answer.

Reactions: bobmyers
How many times are you going to post the same thing over? A little reading and searching and you would have the answer.
I think this is the third post in a different thread.

Sorry guys, I'm new to this. I figured different threads would have a different community

Sorry guys, I'm new to this. I figured different threads would have a different community
You only have to put it up one time-- there are guys cruising, just for the purpose of trying to help those with questions, so the post will be seen and answered.
Cheers and welcome to the forum:):)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl