DBS Mod with Amps

Reaction score
I am hopefully going to get my controller back from DBS next week but was wondering if anyone has any Amps they would recommend if I chose to go with that addition.

The standard mod looks different than the others in that on the one side has 2 inputs and not just 1 and 1. Is it even possible to use amps with it?

Are you trying to boost the video signal or the control signal? The video uses 2 internal flat directional antennas and the control signal is the external 5.8ghz dipole.

I would prefer to boost both as much as I can. If I had to choose 1, I'd go with the rc signal as it seems to be the bigger of the 2 in limiting factors.

I would prefer to boost both as much as I can. If I had to choose 1, I'd go with the rc signal as it seems to be the bigger of the 2 in limiting factors.
Well, since you already got the antenna mod, you can do as I did. Go on ebay and search for 5.8 ghz 5watt amplifier. I paid around 50 or 60 bucks for mine. The main negative issue, you need to supply it with from 9 to 16 vDC. I use a small gelcel motorcycle battery to power mine. The battery will last for a bunch of flights because gelcel batteries have plenty of power and the amp works on a wide range of voltage. I still throw mine on the 2 amp trickle charger every few days to be on the safe side and prolong battery life. But it is a SUBSTANTIAL increase over the stock r/c signal rating. And the amplifier I got is a bi-amplifier, which means it amplifies the received signal as well as the transmitted signal. This is just for the r/c control signal to the P3. It will do nothing for the video signal.

That makes sense. With the DBS mod, port 2 and 3 are for the video signal, correct? Is there a way to amp that at all?

I've explored the possibility using amps, but it would be too expensive since you need three amps (two 2.4 and one 5.8)..

I imagine you would get adequate results with just the directional antenna setup on the video signal.. My main concern was lost control signal. The video, even if choppy, was sufficient because of the recorded video. But this may change as I am using goggles now, and a good video link is essential for the kin of flying I will be doing. ****, I hate this keyboard. Cant wait till my new wireless mechanical keyboard arrives Maybe today.

I've explored the possibility using amps, but it would be too expensive since you need three amps (two 2.4 and one 5.8)..

I was thinking that would be the requirement the more I look into it. The RC side is definitely where I am losing my signal much sooner.

5 watt booster? Geeze. I thought 4 was as high as they got. Maybe if I wait another month I can get a 10...

Now - re the 2.4, why wouldn't one booster be adequate? Doesn't the P3 switch like the P2? FPVLR stage 4 for the P2 has one booster even though the P2 has two antennas and two transceivers on the FPV control side.

Thanks

On the fpvlr 4 which antenna is getting boosted? I assumed you'd need both, but maybe I am wrong. If it's only 1 then a standard amp set up would do wonders

My understanding is the transceivers on both the extender and the phantom switch automatically depending on where it is receiving the best signal. That's why the FPVLR stage four only uses one amp - and that's why it doesn't matter which antenna it is amplifying. Sure - two boosters would be better, but one booster will work. When one of the antennas loses the signal, it will switch after two seconds. Since the craft doesn't RTH until three seconds of no signal, one booster will work.

I am referring to a P2 here. I can't promise a P3 Standard is the same, but I suspect it is.

Last edited:
Yeehaw... First post and this is right up my alley.
Long time lurker here but reason to chat now as I am doing the same thing.

I'm using this for the 2 wifi channels.
Sunhans Dual antenna WiFi Signal Booster 1000mW 2.4 GHz 2T2R / 300Mbps Amplifier

And this for the 5.8 (just because I got it cheap from DBS)
2016 Sunhans eSunRc 2W 5.8GHz mini-Wifi Signal Booster, 1-3 day shipping

1watt each for the wifi, and 2watts for the control signal
I will be seeing pretty soon what gains this will get me. I have already made almost 3 miles with just the panel alone (along the beach , no interference)
Now just looking for simple, reliable, small, rechargeable, strong battery to power it. Nothing big, just needs to last through a morning of flying maybe 4 or 5 batteries.

I feel like I'm getting retarded with this though and only adding stuff because I need more **** to do :p. The Itelite panel already gets me out way farther than I am comfortable. But then I see some of the setups on here and get all tweaked :D

Battery mod next and who knows WHAT else right?

So you want to run 3 boosters at once. You might check the battery on fpvlr.com, but it only powers two at once. So you'd need to use two at a time.

Good luck!

So you want to run 3 boosters at once. You might check the battery on fpvlr.com, but it only powers two at once. So you'd need to use two at a time.

Good luck!

2 boosters. The 2.4 is a dual in one module

My understanding is the transceivers on both the extender and the phantom switch automatically depending on where it is receiving the best signal. That's why the FPVLR stage four only uses one amp - and that's why it doesn't matter which antenna it is amplifying. Sure - two boosters would be better, but one booster will work. When one of the antennas loses the signal, it will switch after two seconds. Since the craft doesn't RTH until three seconds of no signal, one booster will work.

I am referring to a P2 here. I can't promise a P3 Standard is the same, but I suspect it is.

I am fairly certain it's the same, the only difference is the wifi booster is brought inside the controller instead of external on the P2.

Reactions: J-Boog

Sunhans Dual antenna WiFi Signal Booster 1000mW 2.4 GHz 2T2R / 300Mbps Amplifier

I will be seeing pretty soon what gains this will get me. I have already made almost 3 miles with just the panel alone (along the beach , no interference)
Now just looking for simple, reliable, small, rechargeable, strong battery to power it. Nothing big, just needs to last through a morning of flying maybe 4 or 5 batteries.

I feel like I'm getting retarded with this though and only adding stuff because I need more **** to do :p. The Itelite panel already gets me out way farther than I am comfortable. But then I see some of the setups on here and get all tweaked :D

Perfect! Lol this is exactly what I've been looking for. I haven't got my remote back from DBS so I may not even need this, but I fly 99% of the time with high interference so I want more range/penetration if the mod doesn't already do it.

Any battery suggestions? Also, your 3 miles is with the P3S ya?

Checkout the motorcycle gel cel batterys on ebay. 50 or 60 bucks.Lots of power. Small and light weight.

Perfect! Lol this is exactly what I've been looking for. I haven't got my remote back from DBS so I may not even need this, but I fly 99% of the time with high interference so I want more range/penetration if the mod doesn't already do it.

Any battery suggestions? Also, your 3 miles is with the P3S ya?

Yes sir, 3 miles was with the P3S
Still working on the battery ... I don't like anything I see :mad:

Hey, how's this working out?
I see this thread fell off the earth.
Any updates? Anyone add amps to their standard? Any with the DBS ITELITE antenna?

Hey, how's this working out?
I see this thread fell off the earth.
Any updates? Anyone add amps to their standard? Any with the DBS ITELITE antenna?

I have the maxx range and very happy with it. Adding sunhans gold amps tomorrow. But I have a p3p and not the standard. I think people have gone to different threads, look up
Itelite mod for phantom 3 standard
Official phantom 3 leader board

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik