DBS mod showed up ten minutes ago. Took the day off work. Excited.

Reaction score
Just showed up. Thanks to Da Swarm, for getting it out super fast. I plan on completing the mod this morning/early afternoon and running some test flights to check out the improvements. Anyone point in in the direction for a good how-to video for install?

Well how many miles did ya get?

Installed the mod. Range was greatly increased. It was a little windy today so I took it out about 3k feet and had video and good bars left. I can tell you this much. Even if it was not for the extra range I get, the confidence I feel flying now is just better. I feel its more solid with the DBS installed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 401
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 380
If you can fly unobstructed view (no trees, buildings, etc) and at a high altitude you should get 5x that distance with that DBS mod, with no wind. I have the same setup as yours, and get 10k feet easily, but altitude seems to be key here. You need to be high enough that when the bird is down range it still has strong signal from the R/C. Be sure also to have your home point set and your RTH altitude set high enough to clear obstructions on the way back if signal does drop out.

It sure does better that the stock R/C huh? [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I will taking a nice flight this morning. What altitude do you suggest?

Whatever you are comfortable with I suppose. Most of my 'distance' flights are between 200' and 400' altitude. If you do go for distance, be sure to start with a fully charged battery and take note of any winds aloft. A headwind on the way out can be an issue..... But a headwind on the way back may not allow the bird to make it back to the home point before a low battery alert causes an auto land somewhere other than the home point.

Suggest you do a little at a time and see how it goes.

Reactions: jointeffort
I agree with the captain but also think location and holding the TX as steady as possible has a lot to do with it .
I fly mostly from a hill where I have nothing between the TX and the AC and have 0 noise .
In that spot this is the norm IMG_5729.PNG IMG_5307.PNG
Now in this spot I have a tree line out about 3500' and have to go higher to get out 2.6 miles.jpg
Location really is important and experimenting where you are a little at a time like the Cap said will find what you need to do if what your after is distance runs .
I have over 500 flights with the Standard and the 4K with the panel and I go out till I lose signal and just let it RTH .
If you don't trust your RTH I wouldn't even attempt these trips . Just takes time to learn your bird and where you are flying .
If you look at the log shot's you will also see there is nothing under me but tree's . I would never attempt these trips over anything else .
Experiment with settings in you app and have fun but do know where you are flying .

So Dirk, you fly from on top of a hill? That's cheating. You are flying "down-hill" all the time! [emoji30]. Yeah, I know.....but I couldn't resist.[emoji12]. Blue skies and calm winds !

Highest hill in those hill's Cap ;)
Only thing I could hit is a bird .
Well other than the ground.:eek:

I went out about 7k/8k feet over lake Ontario this morning. The sky looked like it was a water color painting. I had an issue where the DJI GO app went grey as if you had just powered off the drone but the video feed was live and I actually flew the bird to me and landed it. I rebooted the controller and took off again and it was fine. Did not RTH as it was almost like the DJI Go app stopped working properly. My ceiling of confidence in this now is around 4-5k feet out where as with a wind surfer I tried to keep it at 1k feet.
DJI_0064 (2).jpg
DJI_0072.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I am a morning person so I take a ton of sun rise morning pictures over the water. It is a good spot to fly. Its empty and quiet at that hour and I enjoy it and I get a few people a day that want to see where it is and ask tons of questions. Have yet to meet someone that makes an off comment.

Installed the mod. Range was greatly increased. It was a little windy today so I took it out about 3k feet and had video and good bars left. I can tell you this much. Even if it was not for the extra range I get, the confidence I feel flying now is just better. I feel its more solid with the DBS installed.
Same here, it's not how many feet or miles you can get (that's fun too) it's more that the signal just feels more solid, just like you said. Now if I'm only out 1000 to 1500m I feel confidence in my control and video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddf
If you can fly unobstructed view (no trees, buildings, etc) and at a high altitude you should get 5x that distance with that DBS mod, with no wind. I have the same setup as yours, and get 10k feet easily, but altitude seems to be key here. You need to be high enough that when the bird is down range it still has strong signal from the R/C. Be sure also to have your home point set and your RTH altitude set high enough to clear obstructions on the way back if signal does drop out.

It sure does better that the stock R/C huh? [emoji3][emoji3]

When you say "but altitude seems to be key here" are you saying 400". Or are you saying higher, don't worry just between you and me.

Reactions: Toddf
I agree with the captain but also think location and holding the TX as steady as possible has a lot to do with it .
I fly mostly from a hill where I have nothing between the TX and the AC and have 0 noise .
In that spot this is the norm View attachment 64467 View attachment 64468
Now in this spot I have a tree line out about 3500' and have to go higher to get out View attachment 64470
Location really is important and experimenting where you are a little at a time like the Cap said will find what you need to do if what your after is distance runs .
I have over 500 flights with the Standard and the 4K with the panel and I go out till I lose signal and just let it RTH .
If you don't trust your RTH I wouldn't even attempt these trips . Just takes time to learn your bird and where you are flying .
If you look at the log shot's you will also see there is nothing under me but tree's . I would never attempt these trips over anything else .
Experiment with settings in you app and have fun but do know where you are flying .
Wow, 15000" with just the DBS, no amps?

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yep, don't need 'em. Almost got 15,000 Friday, but I think I moved the controller just enough the R/C link dropped out long enough for the RTH to kick in. NUTS!! Maybe next time. [emoji30]

That's all it takes is a little bit after you get out that far . I will move the TX sometimes even sitting in my lap .
You'll get it . :)

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj