DBS Mod and Signal Strength

Reaction score
Finally had enough decent weather that allowed me to do some limited test of my new DBS mod. Only flew about 500-600 meters out at an altitude of 50 meters. Distance testing will come later when its warmer.
Using Litchi app on my iPad Mini 4 the controller signal strength read, on average, 82% regardless of how far/close the drone was away. Rotating the antenna (up/down, left/right) would show only minor changes in the signal strength. No matter how I positioned the antenna the signal % was never higher than 84%.

At home I decided to do a bit more testing. Basically the same results. I decided to test using the DJI-Go app and noticed I could never get more that 4 (out of 5) bars. This held true running the app on android and iOs.

Is this something I need to worry about or are these signal strength reading just broad estimates? Funny thing is that the video strength always showed 100%

How would I know which is which? The app has 2 icons. 1 that looks like the remote (which is showing 82%) while the other icon is video signal which always shows 100% Is 2.4 not video? If so, I assume its the 5ghz

That's right! So the DBS mod did work for you. The 2.4 is the video and that's what it's supposed to boost the most. The 5 will always reach further. Most people drop video before the controller signal.

5 will reach further but is easily attenuated by obstructions. IE best with visual line of sight.
The higher the frequency, the less ability to penetrate obstructions.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BryanBTX
Well it is supposed to be pretty good weather tomorrow so I may be able to test range a bit better. Problem is the last snow fall. All my favorite wide-open places are hard to reach with the roads plugged full of snow.

That's right! So the DBS mod did work for you. The 2.4 is the video and that's what it's supposed to boost the most. The 5 will always reach further. Most people drop video before the controller signal.
This is the weird part with my new setup. I lose controller signal around 400m but my video stays solid and smooth till about 1600m (at an alt of 85m). Of course when I fly FPV I never get that far because RTH kicks in soons as I lose RC signal :(

P3S controller1.jpg

I have no clue unless you did something to this connecter when installing. That one should go to port one on the DBS.

View attachment 76909

I have no clue unless you did something to this connecter when installing. That one should go to port one on the DBS.
It was the one connector that, even though it snap into place, I could rotate the cable end around the remote connector. Always though it odd as the other two when snapped in place seemed solid and did not move. That said, once I snapped the 5ghz cable onto the remote it was hard to remove despite the fact it could rotate...

It was the one connector that, even though it snap into place, I could rotate the cable end around the remote connector. Always though it odd as the other two when snapped in place seemed solid and did not move. That said, once I snapped the 5ghz cable onto the remote it was hard to remove despite the fact it could rotate...

Might want to check to make sure the tiny pin in the middle of the board side is still there.

When all fail, start over with a process of elimination. I opened up the remote and removed cables 1 (5ghz) and 3 (2.4Ghz) and swapped them around. Did the same thing with the outside cables. At least now I know that the port 1 has a different cables both inside and outside the controller. Unfortunately the rain has started and its gonna be wet for the next 3-4 days. No testing till then

Reactions: captainmilehigh
When all fail, start over with a process of elimination. I opened up the remote and removed cables 1 (5ghz) and 3 (2.4Ghz) and swapped them around. Did the same thing with the outside cables. At least now I know that the port 1 has a different cables both inside and outside the controller. Unfortunately the rain has started and its gonna be wet for the next 3-4 days. No testing till then

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I have been reading a lot about RC signal Strength loss with the P3S and many suggestions are to re-link the remote. What have I got to lose? ;) One more thing to try between now and next tuesday when, it appears, the weather will be good enough to fly.

So in a nut she'll are you saying you loose aircraft control before you loose video feed?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4