Day Ones Footage Of My New Expensive Hobby!

Reaction score
Hi guys took delivery of my phantom 2 today and had a very happy surprise when I opened it up! The eBay listing stated that it was an unwanted gift and had not been used however this was not the case the drone had obviously been used but I was not bothered by that as attached to the bottom was what I think is the G3-H3 gimbal. This had not been stated on the auction and as i only payed £340 British pounds for both the phantom and the gamble. Needless to say i will be returning the cheaper third party gimbal i ordered off amazon last night! :) How do i tell which gimbal i have?

Anyway after a snapped blade and needing to push it out of a tree with a stick this is what i came up with today.

Phantom 2 with Gimbal with GoPro 3+ on 2k settings edited in FCP

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's a photo of a H3-3D gimbal.
H3-3D gimbal.jpg

That's a pretty darned hairy place to fly if you're not familiar with flying these things.
Some nice video work though. Congrats on the gimbal bonus.

That's a pretty darned hairy place to fly if you're not familiar with flying these things.
Some nice video work though. Congrats on the gimbal bonus.

Thank you. It was ok untill it got stuck in a tree lol. I'm trying to practice on my iPad using some drone training app but not quite the same tbh

Thank you. It was ok untill it got stuck in a tree lol. I'm trying to practice on my iPad using some drone training app but not quite the same tbh

Go flying in an open a good distance away from trees. If you damage that gimbal beyond repair that a new one cost almost as much as you paid for the whole kit and a new GoPro isn't cheap either.

Go flying in an open a good distance away from trees. If you damage that gimbal beyond repair that a new one cost almost as much as you paid for the whole kit and a new GoPro isn't cheap either.
Yea I have been out today and am improving. Feel the need to get fpv tho as it's hard to see what your doing from a distance

Yea I have been out today and am improving. Feel the need to get fpv tho as it's hard to see what your doing from a distance

While it is true that FPV will help it has the same basic flaws you have. :oops: NO DEPTH PERCEPTION! :eek: Plus the fact you cannot see behind you on the monitor. Using a FPV system as a videographer suits two purposes telemetry information and camera alignment for the shot other then that it's VLOS.

Very true however I feel that I will possibly be a lot better off with this field of view. I'm still going to work on my basic handling and feel I'm a long way from perfect but very excited to fly again

Done that once already had to buy a new Gimbal, and now damaged the new one, it still works, but sometimes sits at an angle (starting back up again normally fixes it).
Here in Australia it's generally over $500 for a new H3-3D, and around $700 for the GoPro H4B. The two combined would almost buy me the P3

Done that once already had to buy a new Gimbal, and now damaged the new one, it still works, but sometimes sits at an angle (starting back up again normally fixes it).
Here in Australia it's generally over $500 for a new H3-3D, and around $700 for the GoPro H4B. The two combined would almost buy me the P3

And what would it cost you if were a damaged P3? Their camera and gimbal are not cheap either.

Yeah, but my theory is that if I can't afford repairs and or replacements, then I should probably look at another hobby/sport/profession.

Most accidents occur when you stretch the envelope, and if you're not stretching the envelope, you're either not learning new things, or learning very slowly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31