Dangerous Lipo's ?

Reaction score
Looking around the web, I found many really bad pictures of Lipo battery fires. Many posts here about storage and watching them when charging. Question would be if these things are so dangerous, why are they on the market? What makes them such a good battery for our quad use?

The [relatively] excellent weight-to-power ratio*.

And they're really not that dangerous, if you treat them properly.

EDIT: *CAVEAT: "for the cost"

The danger of Lipo's is way overblown. Why arent they banning cars if GM had to recall over a million vehicles because of a faulty ignition switch? Why arent they banning laptops if a few batteries catch fire? Life is full of danger --- you just have to play the statistical cards right and hope you don't fall into that 0.0001% of bad stuff that actually happens!

That being said --- I've been starting to recharge my Vision+ Smart Batteries inside a large metal bucket (just in case they burst into flames) :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Very interesting read Professor S.
So if I put a Ni-Cad battery in my quad I'd need four foot props to get enough lift to get the weight off the ground. :lol:

Happyflyer said:
I'd need four foot props to get enough lift to get the weight off the ground. :lol:

It'd be one hell of a quad! ;)

Of course, you'd probably need ten foot props if you were using lead acid. :lol:

MadMitch88 said:
The danger of Lipo's is way overblown. Why arent they banning cars if GM had to recall over a million vehicles because of a faulty ignition switch? Why arent they banning laptops if a few batteries catch fire? Life is full of danger --- you just have to play the statistical cards right and hope you don't fall into that 0.0001% of bad stuff that actually happens!

That being said --- I've been starting to recharge my Vision+ Smart Batteries inside a large metal bucket (just in case they burst into flames) :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree about the danger being overblown. However, I am amazed how many people also fly batteries that are clearly damaged. If a lipo gets damaged you need to dispose of it properly and get a new one. It's really rare for a battery that looks fine and is testing fine to just burst into flames.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl