Dang that's hot!

Reaction score
So how long do you guys wait to charge your battery after a flight? I was flying earlier just around the house so I was just beebopping around the area in sport mode. When I got done the battery was pretty hot. I always immediately take it out and let the a\c blow cold air through the vents for just a minute or two. I usually let it cool down substantially before I charge it. I do go ahead and charge it but that's because I know I will be flying within a day or two. I have it set to discharge after 3 days. Is there anything I need to be doing different? Any suggestions?

In summer we keep a soft sided cooler with a Blue Ice in it to cool hot packs and in winter we use hand warmers. LiPo batteries do NOT like heat and the DJI Smart Batteries won't start the charging process until the batteries internal temp gets below a certain temp. I've put "Hot" batteries directly on the charger and it doesn't charge until the temp is back to "operational" levels.

Reactions: AWD
Yeah I think the first light flashes (when its not plugged into the charger) when its to hot to charge or something to that effect. I'm not sure what it does but it does something.

I gotta figure something out to keep batteries cool in the car. I want to be able to keep my p4 with me all the time in case I come across something I want to film. It gets hot where I live and I mean HOT! I can't leave the car running when I'm not in it so its gonna get hotter than, well you know.

I use my Engel fridge in summer over here (we have real heat and not the mamby pamby stuff some cry about). I've seen plug in small beer coolers that cost about $20 that would do the same job or as BigA07 states, a simple insulated lunch box with a frozen block wrapped in a tea towel would do it.

I use my Engel fridge in summer over here (we have real heat and not the mamby pamby stuff some cry about). I've seen plug in small beer coolers that cost about $20 that would do the same job or as BigA07 states, a simple insulated lunch box with a frozen block wrapped in a tea towel would do it.
Trust me, I'm in south Alabama/north Florida, it gets hot. You can't get much hotter or more humid in the US than it gets here. Can you refrigerate the batteries? I mean its OK to just stick em in the fridge?

We used to keep our LiPo in the "Veggie bin" in the fridge for long-term storage but they take a LONG time to get back top operating temps once they are chilled through and through.

I'm always Mission Ready 24/7 and during hot (and very cold) time I bring the battery cooler (aka soft sided cooler) into my office with me during the days. We get called out all hours of the day and night and when we're called we don't have a couple of hours to heat/cool the batteries so we shoot for Room Temp to the best of our ability.

Reactions: Duchunter
Good info everyone. I saw a video with a couple of Inspire batteries that looked like a couple of bloated accordions. They had swollen up and busted their cases. It was unreal. They'd lucky they didn't bust the skin on them. That would have been one toasty car. They were left in the glove box for a week or more in summer heat. I don't want to be that guy.

Trust me, I'm in south Alabama/north Florida, it gets hot. You can't get much hotter or more humid in the US than it gets here. Can you refrigerate the batteries? I mean its OK to just stick em in the fridge?
My trips are usually 30-40 mins away and the fridge is quite cool so I leave them in there in a tea towel fully charged and they are fine. They sit alongside the beer....

Reactions: Duchunter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic