Damping Unit for Phantom 2

Reaction score
I have the new Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D and I need a new damping unit for my Zenmuse.

I would take the whole thing, but I just need the bottom board.

i-FQJgKvB.jpg

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement damping unit? I've called several hobby shops and haven't had any luck. I found a previous thread talking about replacing this piece and they weren't getting much help from DJI. Also, it seems this board has changed a bit with the Phantom 2 version. For example, I've seen some similar to this http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx But it's slightly different. None of the holes would line up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Damping Unit

It has to be nearly brand new - contact dealer you bought it from they should be able to pull warranty.

I just spoke to dslr pros and they said the part is not available yet from DJI. that really stinks. Does anybody have the ability to fabricate one of these?

If you can measure this for me I could make you one.

Attachments

• i-FQJgKvB.jpg
    i-FQJgKvB.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,308
I also need the bottom section, the plate that the Gimbal mounts to, bent and cracked.

I actually got a response from DJI and they're sending me the part. I will check those measurements anyway though

Griggs said:
I actually got a response from DJI and they're sending me the part. I will check those measurements anyway though

Would appreciate that Ill make an unbreakable one. :D

quicktel said:
If you can measure this for me I could make you one.

Well I got one from DJI but it was the original one with the plus symbol or cross configuration. I told them I need the one for the Phantom 2 which is an X configuration. Hopefully they'll come through.

Anyway, maybe quicktel can help me out. I got the measurements you requested. The piece i measured them from wasn't broken so they should be pretty good. So long as I can accurately count little numbers

X = 1 3/4"
Y = 1 5/32"

I got a hold of one from DJI and took the measurements myself yours where slightly off. You could crash it over and over again it will not break. :)

I'm still waiting for the new one to come but I'm getting a little tired of waiting..

I have one of the old + style damping units. I'm curious as how to mount it. Is there anything that is supposed to hold the two plates together besides the rubber pieces?

quicktel, I ordered one of your mounts from Shapeways and it arrived today.

Hmmm. It's very flimsy. I don't think I trust my H3-2D hanging from it. It bends like crazy with the slightest pressure.
I've just ordered a genuine item to compare. At £58 it better be made of gold or something.

Griggs said:
I have the new Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D and I need a new damping unit for my Zenmuse.

I would take the whole thing, but I just need the bottom board.

i-FQJgKvB.jpg

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement damping unit? I've called several hobby shops and haven't had any luck. I found a previous thread talking about replacing this piece and they weren't getting much help from DJI. Also, it seems this board has changed a bit with the Phantom 2 version. For example, I've seen some similar to this http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx But it's slightly different. None of the holes would line up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I have had a couple of crashes in my Phantom 2. The first bent the gimbal damping bracket, the second broke it entirely. Looking on line, replacement parts are about USD$75.00 a set and the idea of spending that sort of money every time I crash my Phantom got me a bit concerned. It seems the weight of the camera bends the bracket on impact and not sure if this is a fault or a design feature. Its better to have some give than break or bend the main gimbal strut which would mean replacing the entire gimbal. Luckily I have a 3D printer so decided to engineer a new set of plates in plastic. After several hours of trial and error I have designed a full set of brackets that seem to be much stronger than the original aluminium. Weight is about 4 grams more and it still has some give in the very likely event I hit the dirt again in the future. I have not tested it in a crash situation and don't plan to either if I can help it. Being PLA plastic I'm sure it will break but then all I do is print another part. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to print the two plates but only uses a few cents worth of PLA plastic. I may consider printing a few sets for people in my area and could probably do it for about half the price of the originals. I'll wait until I have another crash to see how well they actually perform before I unleash them on the public. For safety I will also tether the gimbal to the Phantom with a fine cord so in the worst scenario the gimbal won't drop off entirely. Note, I have also used stainless steel screws for all the other connection which only adds a few more grams. I also use thread lock solution so they don't vibrate loose during flight. The 3D print is not as pretty as the original aluminium plates but they are at least functional. DJI need to come up with a cost effective solution to this issue which seems to be very common. It's not a matter of, if you crash.... it's when.

Attachments

• gimbal04.jpg
    gimbal04.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 652
  • gimbal02.jpg
    gimbal02.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 663
Let us know how it goes. The previous person who 3D printed a set of plates got very bad reviews. The problem was with vibration. The original plates handle the vibration pretty well, but the 3D print plates caused a lot of problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31