Damaged Phantom 2 Vision+ v3

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that :-(

From personal experience of buying cases that have been recommended by others and having to return them, I'm reasonably confident that the P2V+ V3 must be taller than the previous versions.

I'm not doubting what you are saying, but I can not see this being possible. Something in this story is missing in my opinion.

Were the motors wet before storing the quad, maybe?

It seems three out of the four motors are damaged. They appear ok visually. It was a pretty tight case and it looks like it's not supposed to hold the P2V+v3 (taller motors and props perhaps?). I can only assume that the downforce of the lid has cause some internal damage to the motors since when fired up one does not spin at all, another spins in a slightly pathetically injured kind of way, and another has a very slight delay before it starts hence again appears impeded in some way. I have had the top off the unit and again everything 'looks' ok. Pretty sure the speed controllers are perfectly fine. Motors just not spinning cleanly.

Looks like 3x new motors for me at £15 a go (23 USD) plus a soldering job.

You didn't get foreign material inside the motor casings? The magnets easily attract metallic debris and will cause the motors to run erratically or fail all together. A tight case might more likely affect the plastic arms of the quad.

It's a clean case...no metal only plastic and soft foam. The bodywork seems fine with no cracks or sign of any stress. Even if the bodywork had been damaged I see no reason why the rotors would not continue to spin normally as cables, circuit boards all fine. I thought maybe the screws holding the motors (underneath) had been shoved too far into the motor perhaps but I don't think so. The one good motor appears to have it's screws in the same position. I have recently removed some prop guards (i.e. to fit it in the case!). But the motor holding screw heads are perfectly flush with the exterior of the body so they appear to be happily in the correct place.

It's a clean case...no metal only plastic and soft foam. The bodywork seems fine with no cracks or sign of any stress. Even if the bodywork had been damaged I see no reason why the rotors would not continue to spin normally as cables, circuit boards all fine. I thought maybe the screws holding the motors (underneath) had been shoved too far into the motor perhaps but I don't think so. The one good motor appears to have it's screws in the same position. I have recently removed some prop guards (i.e. to fit it in the case!). But the motor holding screw heads are perfectly flush with the exterior of the body so they appear to be happily in the correct place.

Did you put the original screws back in when you took the guards off?

Sounds like you may have run the longer screws into the motors.

The longer screws sounds like the cause here.
Another word on the subject:
I would remove the props when storing the phantom inside the case.
Even if they would fit inside, they could be deformed by uneven pressure and cause some disturbing vibrations in flight

I bet this guy is now going oh ****, easily done with the longer screws from what ive been reading. I decided not to get prop guards for that reason, didn't want to occidentally forget, was looking into maybe getting some of the clip on type. although I have been flying quads for 4 years started with a blade then a ar drone. all non gps assisted so the phantom is a breeze after them,

+1 on P-guard mount hardware 'interfering' with the motor coils.

I did one motor after doing the foil mod. I forgot to put the 3rd prop guard in place before putting the screws in. DOH !!

Did anybody try these prop guards with snap on/off? Is there any better alternative on the market? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2RED-2WHITE...ASE-DJI-PHANTOM-1-2-VISION-FC40-/251767543054
This are great, very easy on and off. I don't use the prop guards much, now that I have more flight time. But with the mount that stays on the bird, the guards are quick to install when friends fly the copter. Pay attention to using the proper screws when installing. Highly recommend.

Hi all, so yes it turns out that I made the stupid error of putting the long screws back in. I took these out, put the smaller ones back. One of the three damaged motors appeared to be spinning again leaving two to replace. I have replaced one of them, soldering it into the ESC board. However, the new good motor is still behaving like the last one!!!??? WTF? Trying to figure out what is going on here. Suggests there is some other damaged part(s) somewhere. Unless it points to a dodgy soldering job BUT I would have thought once the wires are soldered it is either on or off....and this is definitely on (but spinning pathetically in one direction then the other). Yes I attached the correct motor type (CW/CCW) and the wires are attached to the ESC in the correct order (i.e. same as existing same-direction motor - red-yellow-black) and I used the small screws(!)

Any ideas?

if you tried running the motor and it was mechanically blocked from running and it tried to run to long it may have damaged the ESC board for that motor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic