Damaged lens, Repair or Replace?

Reaction score
Unfortunately my FC200 lens was scuffed in a scuffle with a tree. My fault entirely. No damage to the drone or the camera other than the lens. Everything works fine, however certain areas of the video are clearly blurry. I tried cleaning it and so on, and I searched the forums without success. I can feel the rough spot with my fingernail so I believe it's not superficial.

Before I put it to a dremel with a polishing wheel, or pay what seems outrageous prices for a new/used camera (I thought prices would be lower now the Vision+ is out), does anyone have recommendations? Can I buy a new lens somewhere for a reasonable price ($300 for RageCam is a lot) or do I need to get a whole new camera? Can it be polished or would that make it worse?

That wheel is not fine enough for optics.

If you can find a non working camera for parts on ebay that will be you best bet.
and just swap out lenses.

Just a thought - I wonder what Ragecams does with the original fisheye lenses they change out for their non-fisheye lens. Maybe they have a few sitting around.

Hello Jeff_S,
Did you ever find a lens replacement?
I have a water damaged phantom , I'm parting out,
I have the lens, not sure how to disassemble, but I have 1
Let me know?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but water can leave nasty spots on the lens that you won't notice until you install it and take a look at some photos taken with it. It MIGHT be OK, but there is a good chance that it won't.

Just an FYI.

X2 on buying a "defective" camera and swapping lenses.

Thanks all for the advice. J Dot's lens so far is working better, although I still need to resolve some focus problems. I hope some fine adjustments will work out.

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody is selling replacement lenses for a reasonable price, say $100.

Jeff,
How do you resolve focus issues? I have a bit of blur in the upper most quadrant of my fov that is beginning to annoy me. I don't believe its always been there so I assume it can be somehow corrected???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20