Dam it - Coaxial connector pin base broke while doing an antenna mod

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got the Argtek antenna and was super excited to extend my range for a P3S. I followed the how to vids and made sure not to pull to hard after removing all the glue from the connectors. Well the round part around the pin broke off. I still added the coaxial connector as there is still a pin and added some glue to see if it works. At this point it all seems fine but I have no idea if it's fully working. It's the shortest wire lead and if I'm correct is that the 2.4ghz port?

Anyways, my confidence is quite low and am seriously wondering if I need to get a new RC or repair it properly at this point?

Looking for some advice at this stage...

Hey guys,

I got the Argtek antenna and was super excited to extend my range for a P3S. I followed the how to vids and made sure not to pull to hard after removing all the glue from the connectors. Well the round part around the pin broke off. I still added the coaxial connector as there is still a pin and added some glue to see if it works. At this point it all seems fine but I have no idea if it's fully working. It's the shortest wire lead and if I'm correct is that the 2.4ghz port?

Anyways, my confidence is quite low and am seriously wondering if I need to get a new RC or repair it properly at this point?

Looking for some advice at this stage...

I did the same thing. I bought a new u.fl connector and found someone who does micro soldering and sent it to him. He said he would fix it for $35.00. I should get it back later this week. I also bought a new controller that I am not going to mod.

This may sounds funny but how do you know if it's working or not working if it's a wifi port? Maybe I should just get a second controller as a backup too. Dam I live in Japan so it could be tough to find someone who does that kinda work.

Here's a picture of what I did to mine
0c9c444d869cf1c240a34c3d16e617d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This may sounds funny but how do you know if it's working or not working if it's a wifi port? Maybe I should just get a second controller as a backup too. Dam I live in Japan so it could be tough to find someone who does that kinda work.

The 2.4ghz is for the video feed from the quad. You will know if it work as soon as you fly it. If it does not work the video range will be very short.

Ok thanks, I think I have some testing to do tomorrow. Honestly with the pin that was left I feel I gotta enough of it when I added the glue so it should be fine. I guess once I take it about 100m away I'll know if the mod worked. Great forum btw, have lots to learn here for sure.

Well hey that's much better. It seems my mod worked out great. I couldn't take any further but hey I got 270m or 880ft without any glitches or signal loss on my iPhone. That's a first! I'll try taking it further out one day but for me personally it's not about distance. It's simply pissed me off that my iPhone would cut out or get signal rc loss all the time.

k2APbch.jpg

THDinuM.jpg

Classic mod error. Tons of people have made this mistake although not everybody would admit it.

Maybe this guy who is offering to fix it for $35 can guarantee a solid repair. I would talk to him and see if he can speak with confidence. Then make a decision on whether to let him repair it.

Otherwise, you can never quite be sure if your connection is sound. Maybe it works but it's only 70%. Maybe it's 60%. Maybe it's 90%. So if you have range problems later, you'll have this nagging question - is it the antenna connection? You'll never know for sure.

That's why I would probably replace the controller. When you do the mod the second time, you'll use better tools, you'll have more patience, you'll use a better technique, and you won't mess it up. ;)

I did the same thing.
Bought a used one off the classifieds and modded it.
Sent the original one back to DJI to be fixed.
Now I have a spare.

One thing I noticed is my connector is slightly different and more fragile than what others have. But yeah maybe I'll get a second as a spare and get it repaired by dji or something. Took it out tonight again and simply flawless video feed with zero no signal problems.

This has turned more into a confession thread now....lol. For father I have also sinned with my mod, will you forgive me for the mistakes I have made?

Reactions: dhaiken
OK, say 10 Hail May's and repent. Go my son.

I did the same thing on my 2.4. As long as the little "pin" from the board is there. Use a magnifier and make sure it goes in the hole of your connector. Then glue in place. My video is fine.

Oh and I did buy a second controller which I don't need now so if anyone needs one. Hit me up. 70 bucks plus shipping

I did the same thing on my 2.4. As long as the little "pin" from the board is there. Use a magnifier and make sure it goes in the hole of your connector. Then glue in place. My video is fine
I did this too with my P2V 5.8. And my signal was fine too. But how do you define "fine?" And when you have range problems later, how do you KNOW it's not that glued connection? What about the round part that the ufl cable snaps into? Is that some kind of ground? It's gone now. Does it matter? Are you sure?

I flew it for a while but eventually got rid of it. My decision was easy because I wanted an upgraded controller anyway. :p

And... most importantly... when I did the mod the second time, I had ALL the right tools and I did it perfectly. :blush:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj