DADDs everywhere. Pedo alert ...

Reaction score
Tell ya what... getting very effin' sick of the over the top paranoia and BS in the world...
Maybe people should start living instead of being so **** stupid.
Make me just want to sell my gear and take up playing chess instead.
Fortunately, over here in Oz, we haven't reached this level of stupidity just yet, but it's coming...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh yeah - DADD is my own slang for Dime A Dozen D*ckhead ...

Thank the media and the dumbness of people . So wounder if the moron runs around to all the parents recording the game . This is why I fly mostly at the farm to avoid going to jail for beating on morons like this . The operator should have called the cops for being harassed . :mad:

Thank the media and the dumbness of people . So wounder if the moron runs around to all the parents recording the game . This is why I fly mostly at the farm to avoid going to jail for beating on morons like this . The operator should have called the cops for being harassed . :mad:
I agree call the cops, Out here whoever calls the cops is the one who the cops assume are correct. very often this is the way it works, especially if you talk nice and tell them you are being threatened, all it takes is the other party to act irritated, and say something aggressive to the cop.

Tell ya what... getting very effin' sick of the over the top paranoia and BS in the world...
Fortunately, over here in Oz, we haven't reached this level of stupidity just yet, but it's coming...

I really don't know what to say?
My Blood pressure went up just watching...
Felt Uncomfortable...
Anger

Your Composure was perfect!
An Old guy like me would have needed a rest to calm down and would have ruined my day.
I have had good encounters while flying so far. What you did I will use if ever confronted differently.
Take away from this was also have a video recorder at hand.
Thank you

Edit: The More I think about it the Orange or Yellow Vests with the right lettering mite deter this type of public response. Mite!

Last edited:

call the cops...

you are a lot nicer than I could have been. I commend you for your demeanor.
How did you assemble the video of the flight path at the end?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mako79
you are a lot nicer than I could have been. I commend you for your demeanor.
How did you assemble the video of the flight path at the end?
The OP isn't the pilot in this video. The video was shot here in the US with people with American accents. The OP states he is in Australia.

Calling the cops would have been useless. The DAD made no threats or got into the pilots space. I can understand a parent's concern a bit but a guy flying on the other side of a field....with a camera...OMG...that's so scary. Better be checking out people closer to the children with long long lenses. I think the DAD just wanted to hear himself talk. He wasn't even prepared for the arguement. He stumbled his way through. Kudos to the pilot for being cool. I most likely would have reached my F**k You point long before that.
Disagree. The a-hole was hostile and by getting out of the car he elevated the tension. The cops presence would have protected the pilot against future accusations from passive-aggresives who call the cops after the fact. Cop presence would allow him the time to pack up safely w/o this idiot kicking or damaging his equipment while his back is turned. A police report is the best insurance.(from a retired cop)

The professionalism the quad operator showed is extremely impressive! At the 1:20 minute mark it almost looked like the parent was going to try to "get tough" with the operator when he leaned out of his vehicle and said, "you know what? I don't like you filming my daughter". And good for the operator for not being intimidated and explaining to the guy that he was not there to "film his daughter". Knowing myself, I have to regretfully admit that there's no way I would have been able to stay as calm and composed as he did. BUT, after seeing this maybe I can use it as a learning aid for myself in how to handle such situations should I ever encounter one. I DO appreciate and understand the parents concern regarding this BUT had showed half as much respect and professionalism as the operator did then the encounter would have been a lot more amicable. What he should have said is he appreciated the explanation and just wanted to insure nothing nefarious was going on and then left.

I found another video involving LEO's that I could probably learn a lesson from. I really hope this thread continues with other examples so we/me can learn by example on how to react to different situations cause going forward they'll undoubtedly be more and more of them.
Just wish the author hadn't titled it as "Police Helicopter Harassment" ;) It was a good interaction with both sides coming away with a better understanding of each others POV.
BOT

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I didn't see any hostile action. He didn't come at the pilot. He just got out of his car.
If somebody pulls up and demands to know why I'm flying, implies I'm a pedophile, and steps out of his car - he is seconds from becoming hostile. I would have called the police. DAD had not done anything illegal at that point, but I will not wait for it to escalate to that point. I'll get the police involved before either of us end up on the other side of the law, or before my "toys" are damaged by an over zealous daddy who is demonstrating little self control.

The professionalism the quad operator showed is extremely impressive! At the 1:20 minute mark it almost looked like the parent was going to try to "get tough" with the operator when he leaned out of his vehicle and said, "you know what? I don't like you filming my daughter". And good for the operator for not being intimidated and explaining to the guy that he was not there to "film his daughter". Knowing myself, I have to regretfully admit that there's no way I would have been able to stay as calm and composed as he did. BUT, after seeing this maybe I can use it as a learning aid for myself in how to handle such situations should I ever encounter one. I DO appreciate and understand the parents concern regarding this BUT had showed half as much respect and professionalism as the operator did then the encounter would have been a lot more amicable. What he should have said is he appreciated the explanation and just wanted to insure nothing nefarious was going on and then left.

I found another video involving LEO's that I could probably learn a lesson from. I really hope this thread continues with other examples so we/me can learn by example on how to react to different situations cause going forward they'll undoubtedly be more and more of them.
Just wish the author hadn't titled it as "Police Helicopter Harassment" ;) It was a good interaction with both sides coming away with a better understanding of each others POV.
BOT
As a retired cop; most cops will be civil if you are civil, and curious about your UAV, take the time to explain how it works and be polite. You may encounter the same cop later.Yes, some cops are d--ks, worked with a few. I n that case just go along, get her/his name and file a complaint. Chiefs of police (I was one, twice, don't like cops who cause trouble w/ the public).

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
[QUOISMARTINEZ, post: 506355, member: 29014"]Sorry. Saw too many incidents like this as precipitators to violence in 32 yrs. Better to have a cop standing by.
I do understand your view. Especially as a cop, you never know what to expect when someone exits a vehicle during any kind of confrontation. But what could a cop have done there? Nothing but say play nice. I don't think we should call the police every time for silly crap when they have bad guys to catch. Only the pilot knows if he felt threatened. ..and it seemed, he didn't[/QUOTE]
I'd rather prevent an assault than have to respond code 3 to one in progress and cut lots of paper if anyone is injured, or worse.

Thanks for posting this (and the additional video) - I am a rule follower by nature, and it infuriates me when people arbitrarily tell you there is a rule or a policy when there is not one. Certainly, If there is a rule... then simply pack up and go. But I appreciate both of these guys for calmly defending our hobby. There really is this pent up paranoia out there that has been caused by the media only really telling 1/2 of the story... IE "Man shoots down drone filming his daughters in back yard" - however if the man actually saw the footage from 100+ feet he would realize that the intent to watch his daughters was not there. I have hot air balloons that fly over my house all the time and people have cameras with telephoto lenses on them and... you never hear about that in the media. I am really impressed how cool both of these guys remained.

I do understand your view. Especially as a cop, you never know what to expect when someone exits a vehicle during any kind of confrontation. But what could a cop have done there? Nothing but say play nice. I don't think we should call the police every time for silly crap when they have bad guys to catch. Only the pilot knows if he felt threatened. ..and it seemed, he didn't. I'd rather prevent an assault than have to respond code 3 to one in progress and cut lots of paper if a
Sorry. Saw too many incidents like this as precipitators to violence in 32 yrs. Better to have a cop standing by.
I do understand your view. Especially as a cop, you never know what to expect when someone exits a vehicle during any kind of confrontation. But what could a cop have done there? Nothing but say play nice. I don't think we should call the police every time for silly crap when they have bad guys to catch. Only the pilot knows if he felt threatened. ..and it seemed, he didn't

I ask myself why the pilot posted this video if he didn't think the DADD was threatening him?
Had the pilot perceived this as just a friendly conversation, would he have posted a video showing the interaction?

Edit: Not sure why this post has so many quotes attached, don't know what went wrong. My response was to the statement "Only the pilot knows if he felt threatened..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree. The a-hole was hostile and by getting out of the car he elevated the tension. The cops presence would have protected the pilot against future accusations from passive-aggresives who call the cops after the fact. Cop presence would allow him the time to pack up safely w/o this idiot kicking or damaging his equipment while his back is turned. A police report is the best insurance.(from a retired cop)

We would ask for a civil standby? Or a 415 civil harassment vebal?

Yes, I would have told him if he thought I was comitting a crime, to call the police. Better yet, here, let me do it for you. Then I would have called them myself.

"You filming this?"
"Yes sir"
"Won't you go ahead and turn that off"
"No Thank You"

Love it! Why do the police think they have the right to tell you quit filming them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers