D-LOG Premiere Pro basic's

Reaction score
Not until I had received my P4P, was I too interested in shooting footage, I seem to enjoy more of the aerial stills side of things, however I am wanting to broaden my horizons, and get into shooting D-log footage with the P4P and edit in CS6 Premiere Pro.
I have never used Premiere Pro, so I am looking for some good info websites/YouTube tutorials of the features that I would need to use to edit my P4P footage. I have watched a few different YouTube video's, however they don't really seem to have helpful info in the direction I am looking.
I normally edit my stills with Adobe camera RAW, are you able to edit video's in Premiere Pro similarly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Not until I had received my P4P, was I too interested in shooting footage, I seem to enjoy more of the aerial stills side of things, however I am wanting to broaden my horizons, and get into shooting D-log footage with the P4P and edit in CS6 Premiere Pro.
I have never used Premiere Pro, so I am looking for some good info websites/YouTube tutorials of the features that I would need to use to edit my P4P footage. I have watched a few different YouTube video's, however they don't really seem to have helpful info in the direction I am looking.
I normally edit my stills with Adobe camera RAW, are you able to edit video's in Premiere Pro similarly?

Cheers.
http://lynda.com has some real Premier Pro training along with every other program you might want/need...all you can eat for about $25.00 pm

For basic editing there is a guy who made a YouTube video. Premier pro Everything you need to know in 20 minutes.

It does a really great job at showing the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jussaguy

Cheers.
If you want to call me, I'm happy to go over whatever you want. VFX, editing, supervising, etc, is my job for too long so I've learned a few things. :)

The first and probably the most important first thing you need to know when using D-Log is who to change it to REC-709 either by knowledge of what to tweak (you don't yet) or just use a free D-Log to REC-709 LUT. A LUT is basically just a preset that says change this to this and that to that to create whatever it is you are trying to create. So to get the gray bland color of the D-Log to a position where you can start grading it, you need a LUT (Look Up Table) to get you to where you need to be.

You can get a free D-Log to Rec-709 LUT here

FREE DJI LUT

You also need to know how to apply the LUT which you would do in the color lumetri effects in PP.

Simple stuff but you need to know where the buttons are.

Those of you who film in D-Log or another flat mode, do you also use it for stills and then correct/edit in Lightroom?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Premier Pro is a fantastic pretty complex software for editing video. Just started on it about a month ago. Check out Chinfat on Youtube for very good tutorials on the basics to get going on it. But, I don't think your gonna want to shoot in D-log on your P4P as many sharp dudes have said it does not help image at all and actually is not as good as D-cinelike or Color Mode None. Just saying.

Premier Pro is a fantastic pretty complex software for editing video. Just started on it about a month ago. Check out Chinfat on Youtube for very good tutorials on the basics to get going on it. But, I don't think your gonna want to shoot in D-log on your P4P as many sharp dudes have said it does not help image at all and actually is not as good as D-cinelike or Color Mode None. Just saying.
Not actually true.

Read my post above. Follow it and you will have the best looking image and the most latitude for color correction and other fixes.

Not actually true.

Read my post above. Follow it and you will have the best looking image and the most latitude for color correction and other fixes.

There is significant amount of conversation going on in this forum reporting that DLOG is badly broken on Phantom 4 pro. More specifically, DLOG currently only generates footage in the 15-75 LRE range, so it actually hurts dynamic range. You re gonna have to address those issues when making such a claim...

Also, the LUT you posted is created for P3 / I1 X3 camera. Using it on P4p will simply not give any usable result. They have a free Mavic LUT which apparently comes quite close, even though it is made for ART profile which doesnt exist on any platform any more.

FREE Mavic Art LUT

Last edited:
If you want to call me, I'm happy to go over whatever you want. VFX, editing, supervising, etc, is my job for too long so I've learned a few things. :)

The first and probably the most important first thing you need to know when using D-Log is who to change it to REC-709 either by knowledge of what to tweak (you don't yet) or just use a free D-Log to REC-709 LUT. A LUT is basically just a preset that says change this to this and that to that to create whatever it is you are trying to create. So to get the gray bland color of the D-Log to a position where you can start grading it, you need a LUT (Look Up Table) to get you to where you need to be.

You can get a free D-Log to Rec-709 LUT here

FREE DJI LUT

You also need to know how to apply the LUT which you would do in the color lumetri effects in PP.

Simple stuff but you need to know where the buttons are.

Here are my P4P settings (as of the moment - open to any suggestions) 4k 30fps, Auto white balance, DLOG, -2 -2 -2, ISO 100..as for the shutter I cannot get it down to 1/60 and it is way too light..Maybe I do need ND filters, however I cannot get an answer out of PolarPro as to when they will be available..
Shooting on the east coast of Australia, where it is quite sunny, and its hard to get the sand and beaches correct with these settings..
I have heard that DLOG isn't the greatest on the P4P, so who recommends what?
I have Premiere Pro, however it is the disk version, not CC so I am missing Lumetri, so I downloaded Davinci Resolve, so I am a little familiar with LUT's, and I had looked at the LUT's that Groundcontrol offer..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Not actually true.

So all the guys that have done pretty extensive research starting with the reg P4 and now with the P4P on the D-log setting are just nutty?

Those of you who film in D-Log or another flat mode, do you also use it for stills and then correct/edit in Lightroom?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
You don't use it for stills phneeley. You just shoot in RAW format for stills and then process in Adobe Raw or Lightroom. D-log is just for video. And from most that I trust on here I would not be using D-log for my video's btw. It looks terrible right out of the can and is said to not have any advantage over D-cinelike or maybe even None setting on the color modes. D-log looks very flat and dull until you grade it Premier Pro. But if it did make a big diff in pulling detail I would use it.

There is significant amount of conversation going on in this forum reporting that DLOG is badly broken on Phantom 4 pro. More specifically, DLOG currently only generates footage in the 15-75 LRE range, so it actually hurts dynamic range. You re gonna have to address those issues when making such a claim...

Also, the LUT you posted is created for P3 / I1 X3 camera. Using it on P4p will simply not give any usable result. They have a free Mavic LUT which apparently comes quite close, even though it is made for ART profile which doesnt exist on any platform any more.

FREE Mavic Art LUT
I sort of quickly posted that LUT link to give him an idea of where to go with D-Log as many just see it and say "what the heck" and leave it alone.

Your post is not without merit but I don't have the time at this moment (last minute Christmas shopping) but when I get home, I'll post a proper response and some video samples to show.

The D-Log setting while flawed is, if you want to put in the leg work, by far the best way to get a good looking image because of Gamma amongst the strongest reason. Will elaborate this evening.

Also, it is my contention that the X3 is pretty much the P4 with some minor differences.

I have yet to fly my Mavic or if I'm even going to so no opinion on that.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Here are my P4P settings (as of the moment - open to any suggestions) 4k 30fps, Auto white balance, DLOG, -2 -2 -2, ISO 100..as for the shutter I cannot get it down to 1/60 and it is way too light..Maybe I do need ND filters, however I cannot get an answer out of PolarPro as to when they will be available..
Shooting on the east coast of Australia, where it is quite sunny, and its hard to get the sand and beaches correct with these settings..
I have heard that DLOG isn't the greatest on the P4P, so who recommends what?
I have Premiere Pro, however it is the disk version, not CC so I am missing Lumetri, so I downloaded Davinci Resolve, so I am a little familiar with LUT's, and I had looked at the LUT's that Groundcontrol offer..

Any help would be much appreciated!
I will look this over as soon as I get home as well:

I'm on line at Best Buy if any of you are wondering why I am posting about posting. :)

Reactions: pilot ss
So all the guys that have done pretty extensive research starting with the reg P4 and now with the P4P on the D-log setting are just nutty?
No, I said nothing of the sort.

They may be super nice, not, sane as rain, crazy as a snowflake of a wonderful person in every way.

All I am saying is some of my personal opinions about D-Log of which with the P4 I get the best results and it's not even close.

That is all I am saying and nothing more.

I would never call someone nutty even if they were right and I was wrong or vice versa.

Of course, I am not a person that knows nothing about this stuff. Also, I am using the P4 among others, not P4P.

This discussion about various lot modes for multiple cameras, including cameras that cost thousands is not a new one.

Here is the thread where they discuss that dlog is saving less detail and not working right on the p4p. Color mode & Dynamic Range
Again, and I guess I should have said it, I am only speaking on my P4, not a P4P so if there is a log mode algorithmic problem with it, I have no idea.

Edit: I AM SORRY. I only just realized I'm in the P4P discussion forum. I am sorry if I caused confusion.

I would delete all my posts if it wouldn't leave the other posts without Gomez's. Mods feel free. Apologies.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Again, and I guess I should have said it, I am only speaking on my P4, not a P4P so if there is a log mode algorithmic problem with it, I have no idea.

Edit: I AM SORRY. I only just realized I'm in the P4P discussion forum. I am sorry if I caused confusion.

I would delete all my posts if it wouldn't leave the other posts without Gomez's. Mods feel free. Apologies.

Merry Christmas!!!!
Merry Christmas :)

No, I said nothing of the sort.

They may be super nice, not, sane as rain, crazy as a snowflake of a wonderful person in every way.

All I am saying is some of my personal opinions about D-Log of which with the P4 I get the best results and it's not even close.

That is all I am saying and nothing more.

I would never call someone nutty even if they were right and I was wrong or vice versa.

Of course, I am not a person that knows nothing about this stuff. Also, I am using the P4 among others, not P4P.

This discussion about various lot modes for multiple cameras, including cameras that cost thousands is not a new one.
I gotcha Jussaguy. Just forum blow man. My bad. but yeah several have stated that they saw no real advantage in IQ.

Merry Christmas!!!!
No prob Jussaguy! Appreciate you jumping in and trying to help man! Merry Christmas

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj