D-Log loss of details in midtones?

Reaction score
I have been running tests of all three color modes available in the DJI Go4 app: D-Log, D-Cinelike and Normal.
I seem to notice that the D-Log clips lose some detail in the midtone luma range when compared with Cinelike and/or normal. This kind of makes sense to me since the S-Log color compresses everything to get more detail in the shadows and highlights (its biggest advantage as I understand it).
I have two quesitons:
1. Has anyone else noticed this apparent loss of detail in the midtones using D-Log compared to Cinelike or Normal?
2. If true, does it make any practical difference when shooting 4K video?
--JN

I don't use dlog because we lose detail, your observation is real. I use d-cinelike.

I have been running tests of all three color modes available in the DJI Go4 app: D-Log, D-Cinelike and Normal.
I seem to notice that the D-Log clips lose some detail in the midtone luma range when compared with Cinelike and/or normal. This kind of makes sense to me since the S-Log color compresses everything to get more detail in the shadows and highlights (its biggest advantage as I understand it).
I have two quesitons:
1. Has anyone else noticed this apparent loss of detail in the midtones using D-Log compared to Cinelike or Normal?
2. If true, does it make any practical difference when shooting 4K video?
--JN
All the information is there. It is not really compression but more like and over abundance of color and shades of grey. You have to pull it all out in a post production editor like Adobe Premiere or Davinci Resolve

All the information is there. It is not really compression but more like and over abundance of color and shades of grey. You have to pull it all out in a post production editor like Adobe Premiere or Davinci Resolve
According to my tests only contrast and color are there, details are lost when using d-log. Specifically, brushes and grass become blurry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20