d-log -3 style for all ?

Reaction score
So far all over internet the most popular settings for filming flat with d-log are sharpness-2, contrast -3, saturation-2. But I also saw this video and author is using -3 settings. I would say it make sense if we really want to have flat video with most color grading options later on. So my question is why the -2-3-2 settings are so popular?

Not sure. I just use D-log and zero out everything. Works OK and allows for some moderate post processing. Since D-log is not really a raw file, you are going to lose information and therefore you want your video to be somewhere near the values you want to show. In my experience Phantom 3 video files are not very robust - it's easy to over process them so I don't like to over correct in post.

It may depend on what you typically shoot as well. I'm often starting out in a low contrast / low saturation setting, YMMV.

It's actually a pretty easy test. Put the bird up. Start recording at various settings (write them down), post process and see where you like to be.

Reactions: Phil H
It's actually a pretty easy test. Put the bird up. Start recording at various settings (write them down), post process and see where you like to be.
Could you give an example or two of what settings to try? Thx.

If you don't have post processing SW, go for other options such as cloud, sunny etc. with auto corrections. Auto corrections are not effective if light conditions are varying during your shooting. I use manual settings and go usually for -2,-3,-1 and post process to get desired results without losing much info.

One of the most critical one is sharpness. Once sharpness has been added by the phantom, its not easily removed. Run sharpness at -3 all the time. For winter I was running -3 on the others (contrast/sat). This spring I brought the sat up to -2 and the contrast at -1. I feel the P3 over saturates to begin with. I also feel its sharpening is marginal at best.

The reason I kept the contrast lower in winter is due to the already contrasty scenes (snow). Spring brought general darkness in the form of green to the landscape from white snow cover. And that necessitated an revision of the contrast setting to help with details in the darker land area. A slight bump of the saturation from -3 to -2 brought in a touch more color to the darker landscapes.

So, to say there is one setting would be misleading. You need to analyze what you are shooting and compensate with settings appropriate to your shooting style and subject.

The whole idea about using d-log and reduced saturation and contrast is to gain detail information that would otherwise be lost (clipped). Of course it will require high quality post processing to claim that detail. Unless you are willing to spend time and effort (including money for quality tools), don't bother with d-log. Simply set the video mode to none and click AE-Lock to prevent continuous adjustments of exposure. You will get some pretty decent video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have spent a lot of time, effort and money on my post processing and have been having a heck of a time getting the results I want with D-LOG.
It was recently suggested that I try NONE instead, with the same -2,-2,-2 (or -3) settings which I will be trying on my next flight.

Reactions: 4wd
I work with a lot of Raw footage from bigger cameras and I always shoot log. However I recently decided to try the none setting. I can report shadow detail has Improved dramatically! I'm noticing fantastic gains when shooting landscapes with trees etc. It seems to retain a lot more detail. log is nice on bigger cameras but I do wonder if it cripples such a small sensor and compressing to 8 bit.

Reactions: lukx
I work with a lot of Raw footage from bigger cameras and I always shoot log. However I recently decided to try the none setting. I can report shadow detail has Improved dramatically! I'm noticing fantastic gains when shooting landscapes with trees etc. It seems to retain a lot more detail. log is nice on bigger cameras but I do wonder if it cripples such a small sensor and compressing to 8 bit.

hmmm interesting point regarding smaller sensors. I found this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

so with None should we also set -3-3-3 ?

Last edited:
Just having same questions. Is it better then to put Style on None than on D-Log or D-Cinematography ?

Also I put -2 only on Sharpness, other 2 I left on zero.

Also, I dont have ND filters and I will not buy them, should I use then 30fps, ISO100 and 1/60 shutter speed or I should not limit shutter speed ? As I can understand it will give me very bright videos in sunny day and I only fly on nice weather.

The whole idea about using d-log and reduced saturation and contrast is to gain detail information that would otherwise be lost (clipped). Of course it will require high quality post processing to claim that detail. Unless you are willing to spend time and effort (including money for quality tools), don't bother with d-log. Simply set the video mode to none and click AE-Lock to prevent continuous adjustments of exposure. You will get some pretty decent video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks Roamer. I will try this before investing in programs or computers to run them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It all depends ur style and the scene, the video sample benefits by using d log and 0,0,0 and then just add some saturation and done. Cloud and mountain scene are bright and dark, also the weather is quite foggy which is already lower the sharpness alot, so i always keep those setting. I need sharp image, little post processing for fotage.

Here is one way to look at dlog and what it can do for you:
Video recording (without going into rather complex details) is constrained by bandwidth which translates Into number of pixels and the amount of information stored for each pixel. Dlog plays a big role in the latter. To explain, let's assume each pixel has the capacity of 8 bits (1 byte) of capacity to store a numerical representation of brightness and RGB (amount of intensity for each of the three colors). 255 is the brightest and 0 is the darkest. That is the range 8 bits can offer. Our displays (printing and/or video) often are not capable to represent close to zero shades or close to 255 shades. They do pretty good in the center - actually they do better than 8 bits spread linearly could represent. Hence d-log. It effectively steals a bit from both extremes and adds that expressive capability to the midrange. I order to exploit that additional information it is necessary to use an appropriate log LUT that maps the 8 bits into a linear 10 bit range. That happens when using for example Adobe Premiere Pro with such an LUT processing the video.

Sure the results may show in some cases a bit of compression in the extreme ranges, but a lot more detail in the mid range. As stated earlier, more often than not the actual presentation results are much better than using a straight linear 8 bit recording.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What about the white balance? Auto or custom?
I have mine set at 5000k so that it doesn't shift during the video. Auto WB is fine if you shoot short videos, the scene doesn't change much or you are shooting stills. None of those are typical shoot scenarios for the Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers