Custom foam for cases...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I bought one of those inexpensive DuraTool cases and have no problem at all with the case. I'm not a big fan of "pick and pluck" foam, though... I have everything set up just the way I want it (pretty much) but want a professionally produced non "pick and pluck" foam set up...

Here's the URL for the case itself... http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/D ... -/22-17815

I found this company called "mycasebuilder" at http://www.mycasebuilder.com and was able to use their tools to design the top two layers exactly the way I want them. I took a hard look at my setup and added things that I wanted and changed the few things that I felt need changing. I'll let you know when I receive the foam (should be a week or two) but they seem very professional and the software they use that allows you to do your own design is wicked cool... Total price for two layers is around $100...

-slinger

The custom cut foam for my Duratool case came in today. They did an awesome job...

Everything fit exactly as planned
new-foam01-forum.jpg

Here's the top layer
new-foam03-forum.jpg

the bottom layer has room for spare props and a second battery. The phantom itself can carry a third battery, as the foam is cut for that, just in case...
new-foam02-forum.jpg

Yes it does look smart. I have the Maplin case which is very similar to the Duratool but a bit smaller. Made a dogs dinner of the top piece of foam cutting it with a hot knife (remember them ;)) so might try to find a UK supplier for a replacement. The bottom part is mainly the little cubes which were falling apart until I read about (on here) using copydex to stick them together which is a huge improvement.

pault said:
Yes it does look smart. I have the Maplin case which is very similar to the Duratool but a bit smaller. Made a dogs dinner of the top piece of foam cutting it with a hot knife (remember them ;)) so might try to find a UK supplier for a replacement. The bottom part is mainly the little cubes which were falling apart until I read about (on here) using copydex to stick them together which is a huge improvement.

Yeah... My pluck and pull foam actually came out pretty good. I didn't hear about using spray glue to keep it all together until it was much too late. The top was pretty much falling apart a bit at a time... This foam is quite a bit firmer. It still has a lot of give, but not nearly as much as the pluckin' stuff...

-slinger

Gunslinger: I am looking at MyCaseBuilder custom foam for my Phantom 3 and Pelican case. Can you still recommend them after a year's use. How long did you spend designing it? Any tips?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj