Custom Camera Mount(Not Go-Pro)

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
This morning a bunch of folks gave me a lot of advice on these boards about buying a Phantom for use in Archaeology.(And I am still thankful as I have been researching this for days)

As I need to take vertical photos with definitely no fish-eye(and also due to price), I am thinking about buying a Phantom 2.
However, I'd like to attach a simple canon Point and Shoot(s110) to the copter. All I need is for it to point downwards, or have the ability to point it any direction I want in a fixed position. I will run cdhk on the camera, thus not needing to shoot it manually.

Has anyone come across a custom mount for a non-go pro camera or fashioned one themselves? I am hoping to find something that is lightweight and simple so as to reduce weight.

If anyone has some advice- please let me know! Thanks!

This shouldn't be too difficult. I just made a custom mount to attach a GoPro 2 to the Phantom 2. (surprisingly, the only mounts out there for the Phantom 2 are for GoPro 3s). Anyway, I think it would be as simple as attaching a flat plate to the bottom of the Phantom and using the mounting holes already in the Phantom. Then drilling/attaching a standard tripod stud into this new plate. Then screw in the camera. There are all sorts of adjusting arms in the camera world for you to be able to aim the camera in whatever direction you'd like.

I know this picture doesn't show much of the mount itself but maybe it'll give you an idea. I just used the black plastic plate that the GoPro comes on in it's packaging and drilled holes that match up with the mounting holes on the bottom of the Phantom. Would think you could do something similar for a camera that uses a standard tripod mount.

150982_10202441673339795_307848995_n.jpg

Plate I used for the mount (not my picture)
45945152_640.jpg

First flight with the camera late yesterday.
1525504_10202441677139890_1131420752_n.jpg

hughsnews, if you're looking for a prefab solution I've had good luck with these mounts from vectormount (no affiliation, just a happy customer):

http://tinyurl.com/lsey6rj

Price is kinda steep for such a small part, but they work well and are nicely made. I use them to strap a Sony RX100 to the belly of my old Phantom.

pixelform said:
hughsnews, if you're looking for a prefab solution I've had good luck with these mounts from vectormount (no affiliation, just a happy customer):

http://tinyurl.com/lsey6rj

Price is kinda steep for such a small part, but they work well and are nicely made. I use them to strap a Sony RX100 to the belly of my old Phantom.

Thanks so much, that part looks fantastic. Do you know is it possible to move the camera to a verticle position with it? I'd rather something like this which is nice and light, so it isn't too bulky or anything.

Well, hughsnews - don't thank me yet...

To answer your first question: If by "vertical" you mean "so your lens is pointing straight down" (satellite style view at the earth) YES. Just remove the one knuckle and mount it like this:

But I went back and re-read your post and realized you're thinking of getting the Phantom II. I have both, the Phantom 1 & II (1 is pictured above). My Phantom II was a kit version (with the Zenmuse Gimbal) and didn't come with the standard GoPro mount. So that means in order to use these Vectormount knuckles on a new Phantom II you'd also need to find a GoPro mount made for the Phantom II because the screw holes/positions are different. It's should be a $3 part that I'm amazed I can't find online.

Tried a quick google search with no definitive results. Maybe someone else here knows of somebody making one? If you (or anyone else) manages to find one, post a link because I'd really like to be able to use the same setup I have on my Phantom 1 (for stills) on my Phantom II.

You could also do the exact same thing Mr Mufakka did above, trim it a bit with a dremel or hacksaw and then mount the Vectormount to that.

Attachments

• 2014-01-13-17.42.20.jpg
    2014-01-13-17.42.20.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 1,225
Blerg- yeah the more that I look at it the more I am thinking that I will need to custom make it- which I am not the greatest at because I am not very handson. But I am sure if I just think about it logically.

I will post anything if I find it... if you can do the same it would be amazing!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik