Current Requirements for non commercial flyers. Dec. 2017.

Reaction score
With the Supreme Court saying we do not have to register our Drones anymore and having moved into a restricted area [medium size tower controlled airport] what are the current rules/regulations for non commercial flight.
TIA

The knowledge you seek is HERE

I believe I've read that registration requirements begin immediately since it has now been signed into law.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's the text from the bill (H.R.2810 - National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018) signed into law:

"(d) Restoration Of Rules For Registration And Marking Of Unmanned Aircraft.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act."

So yes, I guess it's effective now. The FAA website for this sUAS Registration has been updated to reflect this.

Also, the requirement (or briefly lack of requirement) to register has nothing to do with the rules for operation. Those didn't change when the registration requirement was lifted.

With the Supreme Court saying we do not have to register our Drones anymore and having moved into a restricted area [medium size tower controlled airport] what are the current rules/regulations for non commercial flight.
TIA

It's important to note that as of yesterday Congress initiated and President Trump have signed into law that we are ALL required to register if you are flying a sUAS weighing 250grams or more. In regards to registration the full details are here:
Welcome to the Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) Registration Service

Still won’t register lol... government really doesn’t get it do they.

I don't really think it's the government who isn't "getting it". It's only a nonissue until you get caught (and granted, the odds are you'll never have an incident) but it's now LAW that you register. Just like any other law, you and only you can make the decision to obey it or not but don't run crying if you get checked and get fined because you know good and well it's the law.

*edited to fix spelling issues

Last edited:
I have no issue with complying with the law, I’m just not entirely sure I am reading and interpreting it correctly. From what I read it seems to be that if you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft that registration is not required. However, I am so new to this I am obviously going to defer to the knowledge of those of you with more experience.

Flying for Fun Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
  1. What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
    Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

2. Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
    There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
    1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
    2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
    3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
    4. Give way to manned aircraft
    5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
    6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Just to make the enactment date super clear:

Enacted — Signed by the President on Dec 12, 2017

This bill was enacted after being signed by the President on December 12, 2017.

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018 (H.R. 2810)

I have no issue with complying with the law, I’m just not entirely sure I am reading and interpreting it correctly. From what I read it seems to be that if you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft that registration is not required. ...

So, if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that the registration "rules" are restored, but they're just "rules" and not law. Because H.R. 2810 simply put us back to where we were last year. Is that right?

Last edited:
I have no issue with complying with the law, I’m just not entirely sure I am reading and interpreting it correctly. From what I read it seems to be that if you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft that registration is not required. However, I am so new to this I am obviously going to defer to the knowledge of those of you with more experience

The registration was outside of Section 336. The registration was under the FAA's ability to maintain a safe airspace. The recent ruling is Congress making the registration law. Congress made Section 336, so they can (and have) changed it. If you look at the thread about the registration you will see all of this information.

Registration _IS_ now required for hobby flying, period.

The registration was outside of Section 336. The registration was under the FAA's ability to maintain a safe airspace. The recent ruling is Congress making the registration law. Congress made Section 336, so they can (and have) changed it. If you look at the thread about the registration you will see all of this information.

Registration _IS_ now required for hobby flying, period.

Relax a little. I was asking a question. Pretty sure that’s what this forum is for.

I am relaxed. I thought your question made sense so I wanted to make sure I understood it. But I don't understand exactly how the law works in this situation.

Registration was never a law in the past. It was a rule. There was much debate about whether it was legally required or should be. Many refused to register. AMA put it off for some time. It was eventually challenged in court. It was vacated. Now, it seems the court's decision has been undone and the registration "rule" has been restored. But if it was restored, it is what it was before.

So does the President's signature make it law? After all, as you've pointed out, the language in Sec 336 is unchanged.

Or is it still a rule?

Does it matter?

I suppose it should be regarded as a law because if it was ever challenged again, the challenge would fail due to historic precedence.

Relax a little. I was asking a question. Pretty sure that’s what this forum is for.

And your question was answered very well.

Sometimes it's difficult to get "emotion" from plain typed text and it's VERY easy to take it incorrectly.

I am relaxed. I thought your question made sense so I wanted to make sure I understood it. But I don't understand exactly how the law works in this situation.

Registration was never a law in the past. It was a rule. There was much debate about whether it was legally required or should be. Many refused to register. AMA put it off for some time. It was eventually challenged in court. It was vacated. Now, it seems the court's decision has been undone and the registration "rule" has been restored. But if it was restored, it is what it was before.

So does the President's signature make it law? After all, as you've pointed out, the language in Sec 336 is unchanged.

Or is it still a rule?

Does it matter?

I suppose it should be regarded as a law because if it was ever challenged again, the challenge would fail due to historic precedence.

It became LAW before the ink on the paper dried. Certain aspects of it (not pertaining to UAS Registration) aren't into play yet because they deal with budgets etc in 2018. In fact this act is signed VERY often. I "think" this was the 57th time the NDA has been signed into law and it always happen in December prior to the year it is designed for. Congress just adds some extra "goodies" to it to help streamline the process each time. UAS Registration is merely a "Rider" on the bigger issues.

This won't be challenged because it followed due process and wasn't simply "written on the wall" like the FAA did it previously. In order for it to be LAW (and not a simple rule) Congress would have to create it and pass it (CHECK). Then it goes to....wait... here's a video that explains it better than I can....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you'll notice nothing is official until the President of the United States puts ink to paper and the moment he does that becomes a LAW with the full authority of the United States of America. This happened 12/13/2017.

And your question was answered very well.

Sometimes it's difficult to get "emotion" from plain typed text and it's VERY easy to take it incorrectly.

Agreed. I’m willing to concede that. However when something is written with underlines and things like “period” it takes on a condescending and curt tone. That’s what I reacted to.

It was a great answer up to that point and I appreciated it. I got pretty confused by aspects of text in the sUAS Registration Service link that you posted and that is why I asked and posted the excerpt from it. It seems as thoug the sUAS site has been updated since I posted that to include a link to registration under Section 336, so that clears it right up.

Usually the law doesn’t confuse me at all since I have over 20 years experience working in the legal system. What that has taught me is to rely on experts like you and others when it comes to highly specific aspects of the law like this.

Btw I loved the schoolhouse rock vid! Reminds me of when I was a kid.

Thanks to all for the great info on this subject and a variety of others on this site. I’m really getting addicted to this hobby quickly. I gotta go register my drone now.

Last edited:
Agreed. I’m willing to concede that. However when something is written with underlines and things like “period” it takes on a condescending and curt tone. That’s what I reacted to.

I understand completely. Sometimes we (and I gladly put myself into this category) get used to writing/talking in a certain way and our "emphasis" can seem harsh/drastic when it's not meant to be that way. Just a hunch :)

It was a great answer up to that point and I appreciated it. I got pretty confused by aspects of text in the sUAS Registration Service link that you posted and that is why I asked and posted the excerpt from it. It seems as thoug the sUAS site has been updated since I posted that to include a link to registration under Section 336, so that clears it right up.
That's the problem with being on the "cutting edge" of this industry. We are moving at the speed of light (literally) and as you probably already know Govt is slow to change/correct things. To be honest I'm surprised it got updated as quickly as it did. VERY surprised.

Usually the law doesn’t confuse me at all since I have over 20 years experience working in the legal system. What that has taught me is to rely on experts like you and others when it comes to highly specific aspects of the law like this.
I fully agree to rely on experts and ALWAYS take anything on the internet with a HUGE grain of salt. I appreciate your kind words but I don't know that I would qualify as an expert. I just happen to be fully invested in this from all angles and from decades of experience in this specific subject matter. Again thank you.
Btw I loved the schoolhouse rock vid! Reminds me of when I was a kid.
Me too LOL! We are giving away our age by admitting that :)

Thanks to all for the great info on this subject and a variety of others on this site. I’m really getting addicted to this hobby quickly. I gotta go register my drone now.
You're very welcome. We're all in this together and learning as we go. It's a very addicting hobby/profession and one that is VERY exciting to be a part of.

In January 2017 I registered my Phantom 4. Will I have to reregister, or will my previous registration still be active?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers