Curious About FAA Rules

Reaction score
I am curious about an aspect of the FAA rules, on the page i reference below it clearly states: "Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:", so when they state "strongly encourage", does that mean they are simply asking us to kindly follow these rules, or encouraging us to do so, not demanding it? I am just asking because i am curious, and alot of people make it sound like its a FAA law, not because when i get my answer i am going to go out and fly my Phantom 300 meters high with planes buzzing by.

Also, i see the new drone registration does state they "require registration", so i suppose we surely are demanded to do so, does anyone know if soon they will be revising the "encourage" statement to "require" soon? I actually think it is a good thing a lot of people just assume that flying below 400' is a FAA law & not an "encouragement", and maybe revising the statement to a requirement wont be such a bad thing IMO.

Model Aircraft Operations

The registration is a law, the "guidelines" for flying are not, however that won't stop them from fining you or sending a cease and desist letter if they find you are violating the "guidelines'. As far as the registration goes, I don't want to be the one they make an example of.

The registration is a law, the "guidelines" for flying are not, however that won't stop them from fining you or sending a cease and desist letter if they find you are violating the "guidelines'. As far as the registration goes, I don't want to be the one they make an example of.
Right, i can certainly understand the registration, i really think the only reason for this is the white house drone crash, lol.

Last edited:
But do they even have grounds to send a cease & deist, if there are no laws governing doing otherwise?
All they have to do is believe you are not operating safely and they can yell at you. You can even follow the letter of the law and be in violation. Safety (of the airspace, not of your toy) is the paramount concern.

Reactions: msinger
My understanding is, as long as you're not doing something that can be perceived by the FAA as endangering the NAS, then you are not violating any laws.

However, you may be violating a host of guidelines.

See FAA document AC 91-57A.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj