Cudjoe Key, Florida flying?

Reaction score
Headed to Cudjoe Key this summer with the family. Ill definitely be flying offshore on the boat, but I also want to fly off the oceanfront dock that I will have while there. I notice one small private airport in Summerland with no tower, and also I'm in a special use airspace according to air maps. B4ufly doesn't have any mention of this. What do I go by and how would I go about flying in a special use airspace? Thanks!

You actually have two airports. Depending on where you are on the island (west side), you may be within 5 miles of Sugar Loaf Shores airport as well.

According to FAA: RESTRICTED AREA R-2916 LCTD 14 NM NE OF ARPT HAS STROBE-LGTD AND MKD BALLOON AND CABLE TO 14000 FT. Probably best to avoid flying in the northern half of the island.

From the same FAA information: INTENSIVE MILITARY JET TFC SOUTH AND EAST OF ARPT (from Key West NAS). So be careful of low flying military aircraft on the south end of the island.

I'll be on the south east side of the island. I know I could contact the airports, just wondering if I need to get in contact with balloon authorities. I'm like 4 miles away from the balloon. I'm not planning on flying high or far. I just want some scenic pics and video the kids playing in the water. I just started flying my P3P about a month ago, and I'm addicted! :p

As long as you don't actually fly in the restricted area, you don't need to contact anyone. Somehow I doubt contacting them will allow you to fly in a restricted area anyway :)

But as long as you're at the southeast end, notifying Summerland and watching/avoiding the low flying traffic should suffice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.