CSC simulation

Reaction score
Because there has been some chat about CSC in flight, for the purposes of emergency shutdown, though I doubt I will ever need to do that, or because of pilot error. I wondered, if you do a CSC in error is there any chance you could recover the situation by repeating the CSC to start back up. Like a mid air take off.
So tried it in the simulator ( of course) and it turns out that unless you are more than 130 metres above the ground you can forget it.
And I'm assuming that when the whole thing stops it plummets earthwards in all sorts of tumbling motion, so a restart would just as easily make it hit the ground faster, unless it would self right with all the cleverness going on.
Don't try this at home.
Although the simulator is fun.

Reactions: GunnyPapa
You can do it with the P2V+, but I haven't seen anyone successfully pull it off with the P3. If someone accidentally does this, it's likely that they will not be high enough to restart -- if even possible.

True, I think by the time you'd realised what you'd done, and figured what you then needed to do, it would be too late, by several seconds.

It's interesting to me that in the several threads about trying a CSC in the simulator, the "safe" altitude always seems to be different. I get that each P3 seems to have its own personality, but I would have expected the simulator to be relatively uniform in performance.

Reactions: JoBe
While reading this I figured out how someone can test this csc in flight. Tie a spool of kite string securely to the landing gear of your P3. Find a place where there is a tramway, gondola, high tension line or similar suspension (preferably in excess of the magical 130 meter mark) and fly with string attached over the line and csc. Make sure your kite string is slightly less than two times the height of the suspension.

Have fun all day long CSCing in flight!

lol

I think DJI should require a 3rd button to be pressed to issue a CSC, to remove the risk of any accidental CSC in midair. Before the CSC is invoked, you would need to issue the current CSC combination, but you would also be required to press another button, such as the C1 or C2 buttons, or maybe the camera scoll push button. Just something else that is not apart of the control sticks. This 3rd button would essentially act as a key, and would prevent any accidental CSC from just the control sticks. I do agree that we need someway to immediately kill the motors in an emergency situation, but I don't agree that it should be done by only using the control sticks. I mean, you cant turn off a car by using the steering wheel and pedals, so why does DJI allow us to turn off the motors simply by using the only means we have to control the copter? They should really add another button to the CSC combination.

I think DJI should require a 3rd button to be pressed to issue a CSC, to remove the risk of any accidental CSC in midair.
This has been said a thousand times .. always by new flyers that don't understand that:
1. there is no risk of accidental CSC in normal flight
2. CSC is the emergency shutoff and you don't want to complicate or delay an emergency shutoff.​

i agree with @djfxprogressive that there should be something other than the sticks to send CSC

Agree. Or at least I agree there should be the ability to change it from this accepted default.

The experienced heads don't believe that it needs to be changed, that there is no risk in 'normal flight'.
Which is all well and good, but when people are still learning the controls there is a risk of it being performed inadvertently. As the times, they are a changing, and now any monkey can fly it, right? At least there are complete newbies buying them. Previously if you were a complete newbie you would have smashed up your copter well before you had a chance to mistakenly perform a CSC.

I get terribly worried when I let somebody new, or young, have a go. There is really nothing they can do that I can't recover from in an open space - it's only the CSC I need to worry about...it's all over then!

It would be nice to be able to disable it for the duration of a flight, or have an alternative with added complexity. Say sticks AND a button. As there will always be a risk when you fly with the same controls that also act as the key.

Last edited:
I agree that an alternative shut down means would be good. I also agree that in normal flight it should never happen, and I also agree that the sticks CSC method is right there in your hands ready to use in an emergency.
Hey I'm agreeing too much. Hit the stop button! Oh there isn't one!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj