CSC in mid-air?

Reaction score
I have just flown my brand new Vision+ this morning. Awesome experience to say the least! It is my first experience with anything remote controlled in the air but I have competitively driven (electric and nitro) RC cars in the past.

Anyway, I found something in the manual that made me a bit sick to my stomach. It states a warning that performing the CSC to start or stop the motors (both sticks down and inwards) will also work to stop the motors in mid-air? Holy cow! So if I somehow (with my inexperienced hands) unconsciously put the sticks in that exact position I promptly crash and burn my Phantom? Really? It scares the *&% out of me. To make matters worse I also found a topic about the Phantom having 4 different CSC's for the exact same purpose in NAZA mode? So then there are four stick positions you REALLY need to avoid? From a usability standpoint this is hard to comprehend... Can someone please explain? Or at least try to calm me down? ;)

WillemvdK said:
I have just flown my brand new Vision+ this morning. Awesome experience to say the least! It is my first experience with anything remote controlled in the air but I have competitively driven (electric and nitro) RC cars in the past.

Anyway, I found something in the manual that made me a bit sick to my stomach. It states a warning that performing the CSC to start or stop the motors (both sticks down and inwards) will also work to stop the motors in mid-air? Holy cow! So if I somehow (with my inexperienced hands) unconsciously put the sticks in that exact position I promptly crash and burn my Phantom? Really? It scares the *&% out of me. To make matters worse I also found a topic about the Phantom having 4 different CSC's for the exact same purpose in NAZA mode? So then there are four stick positions you REALLY need to avoid? From a usability standpoint this is hard to comprehend... Can someone please explain? Or at least try to calm me down? ;)

I am still a noob but I have found that less is more when it comes to stick movements. You shouldn't be coming any where near CSC lock in flight. Just don't freak out.

I agree with chaznolan.

You should never NEED that stick [position] combination in any flying mode.

So Calm down already (you asked :p )

I'll add my voice to this chorus. I don't know about the extra ways in Naza mode, but all my looking into Naza mode made me pretty confident I did not need it. I personally prefer the Failsafe option in Phantom mode to the CL/HL modes in Naza.

So assuming you stay in Phantom mode, what possible reason could there be for you needing to be at full descent + full clockwise rotation on the left stick, AND full reverse + full left on the right stick at the same time for 2 seconds causing engine shutoff?
hint: none
:)

I see. But still in any case it would be quite easy to mistakenly do it anyway. It just seems like such an easy way to crash the thing? But probably that's my inexperience ;) Thanks

QYV said:
I'll add my voice to this chorus. I don't know about the extra ways in Naza mode, but all my looking into Naza mode made me pretty confident I did not need it. I personally prefer the Failsafe option in Phantom mode to the CL/HL modes in Naza.

So assuming you stay in Phantom mode, what possible reason could there be for you needing to be at full descent + full clockwise rotation on the left stick, AND full reverse + full left on the right stick at the same time for 2 seconds causing engine shutoff?
Well, to be honest I didn't know it had to be for 2 seconds. That changes things. I thought just touching the position would be enough to shut the thing off ;) lol. No, now I do agree it would be a bit foolish to hold full descent, full clockwise rotation, full revers and full left for 2 seconds :lol:

My fear was more or less of just touching the combination during maneuvers, you see?

I get you mate :) I had it on my mind my first couple of flights until I realized just how intentional and drastic of a movement it has to be. Sounds like you only have 1 or 2 flights so far (welcome!) and I don't have one of the Vision models but if it's anything like my non-Vision it is SUPER maneuverable and I almost never find myself moving a stick all the way to a limit.
Ok sometimes I go full-throttle in one lateral direction with the right stick, but I don't think I've ever hit a full-stick-movement rotate with the left stick. much less while simultaneous with the other stick movements described above.

You might also feel better if you enable Failsafe. OK so, right now in Phantom mode the 2 control switches on your remote don't do anything (during flight) right? In the Phantom assistant software, go to the Basic / RC tab. see at the bottom "Control Mode Switch"? there's only 1 thing you can change, on the right the dropbox (by default) says Normal Fly. If you change that to Failsafe, then while your phantom is up in the air if you click the right switch full down the Phantom will go into Failsafe (the lights on the bottom normally green will start blinking yellow) the same as if it loses touch with the RC . wherever it is, the P will fly back to it's home position (the GPS position it locked when you turned it on) and descend until it lands. You can flip the control switch back to normal and resume control at any time (yellow blinking lights go back to green). I basically use this feature as a "fly back overhead and start descending" autopilot... especially useful if I'm WAY up in the air (at 2m/s descend rate, that's a while to descend from 200m or so) or very far off and just don't feel like manually flying back overhead. just flip the switch any time to resume normal control.

also fwiw, catching is easier than landing. I found myself tipping and/or breaking props trying to land so I said screw this, I see guys in videos all the time catching their phantom instead of landing how hard can it be? and it isn't. just be safe obviously, keep it higher than you and reach out to grab it don't have it moving quickly... and make sure to hold it in the proper position horizontally while you bottom the left stick for 3 seconds to shut off the props.
also you feel like a badass :)
there is an absolutely perfect catch (imo) at the beginning of this video. notice he has the phantom facing away from him so the right stick movements are "normal".

QYV said:
also fwiw, catching is easier than landing. I found myself tipping and/or breaking props trying to land so I said screw this, I see guys in videos all the time catching their phantom instead of landing how hard can it be? and it isn't. just be safe obviously, keep it higher than you and reach out to grab it don't have it moving quickly... and make sure to hold it in the proper position horizontally while you bottom the left stick for 3 seconds to shut off the props.

Boy do I second that!! At first I ended up breaking several props(and being embarrassed in front of friends) when trying to land and it decided to bounce or fall forward, this was hard to control. So I went to catching it like I see so many others doing, and have not broken a prop since. It is easier and I have had no accidents this way.

Some 3rd party apps change the functions of the joysticks. A reply like yours gives users false confidence and should definitely be given with the caveat that things may be different when using certain modes in third party software because the stick positions that would be required to initiate a CSC are not as "crazy" as you make it sound and it's definitely possible for a user to trigger it accidentally - especially if the user is overconfident and has stopped thinking about it because you convinced him that it could never happen!

This thread is over two years old.

There was a guy earlier this week where his P3 dropped from the sky and msinger finally figured out (after four days of waiting for the OP to post his logs) that he did a CSC in the air. However, I think it's more difficult in the P2 series because (at least on mine) the CSC takes a couple seconds to happen, whereas on a P3, it is instantaneous.

Last edited:
This thread is over two years old.

There was a guy earlier this week where his P3 dropped from the sky and msinger finally figured out (after four days of waiting for the OP to post his logs) that he did a CSC in the air. However, I think it's more difficult in the P2 series because (at least on mine) the CSC takes a couple seconds to happen, whereas on a P3, it is instantaneous.

LOL! You're right! I just saw 5/14 and assume it was this year. (Did a search for CSC)

I wonder why they never closed this.

Reactions: dirkclod
So folks can bring it back up and we can razz them about it :)
You know..the ole didn't read ;)
didnotread 1.gif
didnotread3.gif
Orangutan-Didnt-Read-It-Dance-In-The-Rainforest-From-a-Commercial.gif

God I needed to post that .Thanks Tenly :)

Reactions: Mark The Droner
So folks can bring it back up and we can razz them about it :)
You know..the ole didn't read ;)
View attachment 60550 View attachment 60551 View attachment 60552
God I needed to post that .Thanks Tenly :)

Not sure I understand why you think it's funny - but if it puts a smile on your face, I suppose that's a good thing....

Even if I had realized it was 2 years old - I probably still would have posted the same thing because it's still relevant and if I found the thread, so could others.

But - if I had been trying to enter a contest or attend a meet-up that took place 2 years ago - I could see the humour in that....

Not sure I understand why you think it's funny - but if it puts a smile on your face, I suppose that's a good thing....

Even if I had realized it was 2 years old - I probably still would have posted the same thing because it's still relevant and if I found the thread, so could others.

But - if I had been trying to enter a contest or attend a meet-up that took place 2 years ago - I could see the humour in that....
Well Tenly I apologize if that offended you as I didn't mean to .I did find it funny because I have done the same thing more than once and got those gif's posted at me .
And it is relevant or it wouldn't have been posted about every week in here in some section .
Again I'm sorry if that offended you . Was just messing with ya :)

Reactions: Traveler

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav