Crushed my p2 and now it gives yellow blinking.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So yesterday, I crushed my p2 and after the crush, every time I turn it on, it gives me yellow blinks. And the motor won't turn on. I have attached a video so you guys can see the yellow pattern.

Dji phantom 2 yellow flashing error:

Just a side note, I opened the frame to check if anything is wrong from inside and didn't fully closed it while I was recording

Check your GPS and make sure it is plugged in good. If you crushed It did the crash disturb the top of the shell? At the very top under the shell is a GPS & GPS circuit board, most likely if it is plugged in, then the GPS is Bucked Up!

~Duke

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

So yesterday, I crushed my p2 and after the crush, every time I turn it on, it gives me yellow blinks. And the motor won't turn on. I have attached a video so you guys can see the yellow pattern.

Dji phantom 2 yellow flashing error:

One thing your in the house and normally you will not receive a GPS signal so the rear LEDs will flash yellow. The first thing you should after a crash is connect the P2 up to the assistant software and calibrate the advanced IMU in the tools tab this calibration must be preformed on level surface. Once you completed the calibration take it outside and calibrate the compass if the LEDs turn green your good to go.

There are at least two conditions that can cause this (page 33 of P2 manual v1.1):

1-Ready to Fly non-GPS This is AFTER a normal warm-up and you should be able to start motors and fly (in Atti).
2- No controller signal received/detected. (Receiver problem, BIND problem, Antenna problem perhaps???)

The video does not show if warm-up was achieved.

There are at least two conditions that can cause this (page 33 of P2 manual v1.1):

1-Ready to Fly non-GPS This is AFTER a normal warm-up and you should be able to start motors and fly (in Atti).
2- No controller signal received/detected. (Receiver problem, BIND problem, Antenna problem perhaps???)

The video does not show if warm-up was achieved.

He's in the house and the LEDs will flash yellow.

He's in the house and the LEDs will flash yellow.

Yes Jason, that is covered by #1 above but no sats will not alone prevent motor start.

Is it known if the quad powers up and completes warm-up?

I did not see it and the OP is unclear.

This is a normal function inside the house watch the rear LEDs. Now if it seats there long enough it may lock onto 6 satellites or more since it's sitting the kitchen counter near sliding glass doors.

Hey guys, sorry for taking long time to replay.

to answer your questions, no is not the warm up yellow blinking, i left it on for a good 5 min and i had no green light. i took it outside as i thought it might be a gps signal lost, still was blinking the same way.

so, i was searching around, and i read that, this issue might be caused by gps module been broken.

and after dismantle the GPS module from the shell, the ceramic antenna had a crack. i have attached a picture so you guys can see it.

2rcpswh.jpg

i have ordered a new from this wesbite, and it wil arrive tomorrow.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en?keywords=931-1016-nd

hopefully this will solve the issue. What you guys think?

Yep, you got c r u s h e d for sure, it wont work in that condition! :eek: Glad you confirmed what the problem was. ;) And thanks for getting back and letting us know what you found. Order a replacement but if I were you I would get the one on that page that is a 4mm thick one - vs - the stock spindley 2mm jobbie that the quad comes with. I have done this modification myself and increased the quantity and the quality of obtaining satellite's, You may also want to do the copper shield mod as I have done. PM me if you need help.:D Happy Flying!

~Duke

Last edited:
i replaced the ceramic antenna today, and when i turned on, i still got the same problem it's still blinking yellow same pattern as the video i have provided in this topic.

i tried advance Calibration, reset BTU Info, and re download the firmware for the phantom 2 . and still blinking yellow.

when i plug in the phantom 2 to my computer, it gives me CFG-ERR " Configuration error, this may cause by firmware upgrade from old version.or abnormal Tx calibration. Re-calibrate your transmitter,and power cycle your controller and check all of the parameters."

i have attached few pictures of the software assistance showing the abnormal numbers that i never seen before ( GPS location is 0, 0 , 0)

e8nxie.png

nnobat.png

my thoughts at the moments are:

Maybe i overheated the chip when i was soldering the gps module.
Maybe i need to replace the main circuit board?

what you guys think i should do? i don't wanna throw my money in random parts, and end up not being fixed.

If you guys wanna see pictures of the P2 and the main board, i be happy to share it.

YIKES!!! :eek: I'm not trying to insult you in any way but It looks to me like you need to go to
S o l d e r i n g S c h o o l. I blew the picture up and it definitely looks like you burnt it up the chip next to that MOUND of Solder to me. Of course no way I can tell but either way I think its time for a new GPS. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

~Duke

ay261s.jpg

Hi Duke,

Thank you for you're respond, i do admitted, i did a terrible job fixing it.

but something that caught my attention was, whenever the GPS was connected to the main board, and not inside the shell. in the DJI phantom software it was giving me ERROR [27] -- GPS not calibrated, or magnetic field interference. Please calibrate GPS again in good condition.

and when i was putting in the original place inside the top of the shell, and rest the BTU info, it was giving me the "CFG-ERR"

Do you still think is, still the GPS problem?

i am so mad at myself, tomorrow i am going to mountains as a summer trip with the family and i was super excited to take the phantom with me. Lesson learned, never give away the phantom to someone with zero flight experience and being reckless.

Your welcome brother , when you use and Iron for such a task it needs to be HOT! You need to get on and off as quickly as possible. The area needs to be extremely clean with alcohol (I use Q Tips) Not soppy w/ Alcohol but enough to remove contaminants then follow with a dry one. My Iron is fluxed as is the part. You first need a copper solder wick to remove old solder or a solder sucker.

After area is cleaned and fluxed it takes just a little solder. Hind sight is 20/20 but a lesson learned is better than not, even tho your not able to fly in the mountains this weekend you will savor and look fwd to your next flight. Lesson learned on lending out your equipment. I hope the person made it right with you somehow?

From what you have shown me thus far, I hafta stay with needing a GPS. I have seen them on flee bay for $75.00 to $100.00 but you may want to develop a relationship with a boneified dealer.
~Duke

Yep, you got c r u s h e d for sure, it wont work in that condition! :eek: Glad you confirmed what the problem was. ;) And thanks for getting back and letting us know what you found. Order a replacement but if I were you I would get the one on that page that is a 4mm thick one - vs - the stock spindley 2mm jobbie that the quad comes with. I have done this modification myself and increased the quantity and the quality of obtaining satellite's, You may also want to do the copper shield mod as I have done. PM me if you need help.:D Happy Flying!

~Duke
That sounds like a great mod, so the bigger piece doesn't confuse the phantom?

Matthew

Matt,

The thicker antenna has a bit more gain and therefore helps with capturing signals form the sats.
Some have reported that you may need to make slight changes to some internal plastic ribbing in the top shell to allow the extra height but it will not confuse or cause any other problems.
It is a great mod for the price.

Reactions: 750r
That sounds like a great mod, so the bigger piece doesn't confuse the phantom?

Matthew
Matt,

The thicker antenna has a bit more gain and therefore helps with capturing signals form the sats.
Some have reported that you may need to make slight changes to some internal plastic ribbing in the top shell to allow the extra height but it will not confuse or cause any other problems.
It is a great mod for the price.

Yes, It is a great mod, and it works many say it don't but I know better. N017RW is correct you will need a Dremel tool and I use a small grinding wheel bit to remove the ribs at the top so it fits. Pretty easy actually. The way I figure is the GPS is one of the most important functions of the bird. The reason? It needs to find its way home when it looses link with the controller so I want as many Sats as possible with STRONG SIGNAL to make that happen. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. ;) Here are some links below. Each one of these things make improvement However Doing all these things below makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!

~Duke

Copper Foil Shield Mod>> http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...er-foil-shield-fix-low-satellite-count.31054/

How to install Solder 4mm Puck>>

How To Install Puck (shows example removing shell ribs)>> http://dronegarage.org/2015/01/19/how-to-taoglas-4mm-gps-antenna-upgrade-for-the-dji-phantom-2/

Copper Foil Sheet I Used>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HFDPVW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

4mm Puck I Used May Find Cheaper Elsewhere >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3PFMRG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Improving GPS Signal By Moving GPS Connector Wire (Simon Newton) >>

Droan Camps Aluminum Foil Mod Test (1 sat pick up with just this) >>

Your welcome brother , when you use and Iron for such a task it needs to be HOT! You need to get on and off as quickly as possible. The area needs to be extremely clean with alcohol (I use Q Tips) Not soppy w/ Alcohol but enough to remove contaminants then follow with a dry one. My Iron is fluxed as is the part. You first need a copper solder wick to remove old solder or a solder sucker.

After area is cleaned and fluxed it takes just a little solder. Hind sight is 20/20 but a lesson learned is better than not, even tho your not able to fly in the mountains this weekend you will savor and look fwd to your next flight. Lesson learned on lending out your equipment. I hope the person made it right with you somehow?

From what you have shown me thus far, I hafta stay with needing a GPS. I have seen them on flee bay for $75.00 to $100.00 but you may want to develop a relationship with a boneified dealer.
~Duke

Ummm....

CFG ERR usually happens when you turn on the phantom and the sticks do NOT centre or have been obstructed.
If you look at the Phantom Assist Screen captures in the above post, all the values are at +1000. This means the motors will NEVER start and you will continue to get the yellow lights. The values should all be ZERO (azimuth in centre).

First thing you need to do is recalibrate your sticks in BOTH RC1.2 and Phantom assist and make sure they are bound to the phantom. You can check if you are bounded by moving the YAW and watching the H33D move. If you cannot calibrate the sticks, then chances that the receiver board in the phantom has issues.

Once the H33D starts moving you can then look at the GPS problem.

Cracked Puck will still start the Phantoms motors but will not get GPS lock.
Damaged GPS module will NEVER start the phantoms motors. If phantom detects 0.0.0.0 on GPS firmware then the module is broken.

Just giving everyone one final update:

The phantom is alive and flying!

2 parts were damaged in the phantom 2,

1. the GPS module the whole thing was damaged ( not the ceramic antenna only)
2. The receiver ( the mini chip that goes under the main board) this one was damaged badly.

when i replaced the receiver, the RC and the phantom were connected to each other. So replacing the Receiver, turned on the motor. However, i was not getting any GPS lock, with the GPS module that i replaced the ceramic antenna( look at the pictures i posted earlier in the topic)

Anyway, replaced the whole GPS module and finally after long time, i GOT GREEN LIGHT, ready to fly!

To sum up, if you have fast abnormal yellow blinking, like mine, it most likely the GPS or the receiver has gone wrong, or BOTH.

cheers everyone, and thank you guys for helping!

Reactions: 750r

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl