Cruising & sport mode

Reaction score
Hi all,
P4 here. If I plan a mission ( which I have done but not flown) with cruising speed the flight time is 28 minutes to and from.

Would sport mode ( get there faster) on for the same mission take 28 minutes? or would it eat battery life?

thanks

28 mins on a P4 battery is ambitious. My longest mission (litchi) is between 18-20 mins to allow for wind and to ensure I get back with enough battery life. Max cruising speed is 54 kph in the mission settings with no sport function that I have seen. Unless you are using the dji app to run your mission (never used it) and you can do that. Either way, you might want to consider the effect of any breeze up there.

28 mins on a P4 battery is ambitious. My longest mission (litchi) is between 18-20 mins to allow for wind and to ensure I get back with enough battery life. Max cruising speed is 54 kph in the mission settings with no sport function that I have seen. Unless you are using the dji app to run your mission (never used it) and you can do that. Either way, you might want to consider the effect of any breeze up there.

I will more than likely have wait for battery mod. In the meantime I will have launch closer to the waypoint by driving in my car. I could cut the distance it has RTH by a third. I think that might be safer and more realistic.

I agree with tevek that 28 mins is not going to happen if you are going places and want to get back home with some battery reserve. Best safe run would be 20 minutes cruising at 31mph and land around 20% battery. At this rate from taking off and gaining altitude cruising and filming stuff in good conditions you may get around 45,000 feet total distance without soiling your pants.

I agree with tevek that 28 mins is not going to happen if you are going places and want to get back home with some battery reserve. Best safe run would be 20 minutes cruising at 31mph and land around 20% battery. At this rate from taking off and gaining altitude cruising and filming stuff in good conditions you may get around 45,000 feet total distance without soiling your pants.

ha! yeah. Nerve wracking to say the least, I remember reading a post from someone where he said :

" full speed is not the best way to make it home on a low charge. Which makes sense, because at some point, wind resistance on the aircraft itself will nullify the benefit of increased airspeed."

I think now that settles the full speed idea to cut the 28 minutes down by going full speed.

" full speed is not the best way to make it home on a low charge. Which makes sense, because at some point, wind resistance on the aircraft itself will nullify the benefit of increased airspeed."
Sport mode will sap your battery and give a lower distance than flying at near top speed in P-GPS mode
Here's the research on best speed for range: Best fuel efficiency tests

I usually run in s mode around 30 mph, after looking at my flight logs I see that my right stick is about 75% throttle. I have seen on several occasions that some pilots running 100% throttle continuously got a warning in GO that power is being reduced, this is a safety measure from your craft to protect the battery and the motor controller from over heating. If you are flying in clean air you may also consider turning off your VPS and your OA system, this will conserve a small amount of energy.

I usually run in s mode around 30 mph, after looking at my flight logs I see that my right stick is about 75% throttle. I have seen on several occasions that some pilots running 100% throttle continuously got a warning in GO that power is being reduced, this is a safety measure from your craft to protect the battery and the motor controller from over heating. If you are flying in clean air you may also consider turning off your VPS and your OA system, this will conserve a small amount of energy.

Interesting. Yes in clean air turning off OQ and VPS should reduce power consumption.

I'd also add that no recording should help with power consumption.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.