Crowd Counting ? ? ?

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was asked a question yesterday that I have yet to find a solid answer for.

Can you take an aerial photo and easily AND cheaply automate head/crowd counting to know how many people (estimated) are in attendance?

I downloaded the app CrowdSize and even though it's super easy to use it's just not cutting it for what I'm trying to do.

Basically I'm wanting to take an existing image and run it through a program to get an approximate head count.

Any ideas?

Boy that would be difficult I think. The software would have to be able to determine which pixels of an image correspond to individual heads in a crowd. The shades/colors of pixels will probably vary too much for the software to accurately determine that and the image resolution would clearly be a factor depending on how large a crowd.

Doing it manually for a guestimate.. I suppose you could zoom into the image and draw a tight square around a single head in the crowd. Then create a grid having the same size squares over the the crowd and add up the boxes. But clearly there would be some degree of error. I'm not a mathematician, so that is how I would have to do it.

Thank you MM. You have a PM waiting.

Good suggestion Ed. I'll research both links.

THANK YOU!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj