Critique my first edited video of Martha's Vineyard

First edited video? That's pretty impressive.

I really enjoyed it. I liked the diversity of shots, angles, motion and locations which kept me interested throughout. I really liked some of the shots amongst the trees with the kids. Good stuff!

Some things you might want to consider to make it even better, although these are pretty subjective -

Try not to repeat yourself with the essentially the same shot and subject (eg. panning around the house)
Same goes for shots of people waving at the camera - the more natural shots work better
Try not to point into the sun as the glare is pretty distracting
Try and keep the props out of the shot - although some people are fine with that
Lastly, the image looked kind of soft. I'm not sure if it is a resolution issue, your post-processing, or YouTube.

These are all minor critiques. I think it is an excellent video, and I can tell you have taken a lot of time to plan some of the shots. Oh, and that house looks amazing.

Well done and thanks for sharing!

gavinski said:
Oh, and that house looks amazing.

When I saw the octagonal deck, the first thing I thought was Launch Deck!

The video was interesting from start to finish. I worried about the total time of 3m48s but once I started watching, you held my interest.

I liked the shots into the sun because I like when cameras create prisms and rays when shooting into light.

I liked it, the music really fit. I'm learning my chops now so I cant really offer any tips. Great work for a rook.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Yeah, YouTube's default resolution can be 360 to 480 depending on your connection. Vimeo has better quality: https://vimeo.com/105071417

I'll take your advice about the waving and just acting naturally next time.

Shots into the sun were on purpose, but I'll watch my forward velocity to keep props out of the frame.

Excellent. Nice place, great food. How could you go wrong :)

bostonlines said:
great footage. try to be more smooth with your pans. also, try slowing some footage down using >60fps.

I thought about this, but 24fps gives a more dramatic cinematic feel. I'll give it a try the next time around and see how it works. I could also gain more mastery over the aircraft and fly slower with smoother pans, but you're right. Some of the footage is too fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20