Critical Voltage Auto Land...over water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys, my buddy lost his bird over water due to a critical voltage auto land. I've noted a few issues to him I've seen in his flight log:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

(Hope that link works)

Anywho, a little insight, were in Miami so cold weather not an issue. He is running 1.4 on his P3A. One issue right away I called him out on was taking off at 67% battery. I've done this a few times, heck even launched at 40% after using a battery earlier. Still his battery had time to cool down as it was hours between flights and if I ever decide to use a half drained battery I make sure it's at most 20 min between flights to keep battery warm. Ok so he takes off at 67% gets a critical error at 56% 2~min of flight. I also noticed his battery life is at 87%. He should've discharged a while back to reset or tossed this battery.

Other that these obvious issues can anyone explain what happened in cell #4? I've learned a lot about lipos and these "smart batteries" but not sure the characteristics of the cells individually and how they act when battery life goes below 90%. Is this normal activity at 87%?

Please take a peek and let me know if you see anything else I've missed. As every crash this will be a learning lesson I want to make sure my buddy and I and anyone who reads this forum not let this happen and be more knowledgable in the preemptive steps to keeping our batteries and birds happy and healthy!

Battery seems fine as far as I can tell. It seems the common denominator is losses like this is taking off with less than a full charge.

...and fighting 17MPH winds depletes partially charged batteries fast. Looks like he was headed into the wind as he was returning over the marina.

I don't see a problem. Can you post his firmware and software versions?

...and fighting 17MPH winds depletes partially charged batteries fast. Looks like he was headed into the wind as he was returning over the marina.
Healthy Drone wind stats are notoriously inaccurate. I would not expect a normal to critical battery to occur in that short of a period due to 17 mph winds.

This is definitely a case that I would send to DJI. Apparently they have been pretty generous replacing the P3s that drop out of the sky without obvious pilot error.

Hey guys, my buddy lost his bird over water due to a critical voltage auto land. I've noted a few issues to him I've seen in his flight log:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

(Hope that link works)

Anywho, a little insight, were in Miami so cold weather not an issue. He is running 1.4 on his P3A. One issue right away I called him out on was taking off at 67% battery. I've done this a few times, heck even launched at 40% after using a battery earlier. Still his battery had time to cool down as it was hours between flights and if I ever decide to use a half drained battery I make sure it's at most 20 min between flights to keep battery warm. Ok so he takes off at 67% gets a critical error at 56% 2~min of flight. I also noticed his battery life is at 87%. He should've discharged a while back to reset or tossed this battery.

Other that these obvious issues can anyone explain what happened in cell #4? I've learned a lot about lipos and these "smart batteries" but not sure the characteristics of the cells individually and how they act when battery life goes below 90%. Is this normal activity at 87%?

Please take a peek and let me know if you see anything else I've missed. As every crash this will be a learning lesson I want to make sure my buddy and I and anyone who reads this forum not let this happen and be more knowledgable in the preemptive steps to keeping our batteries and birds happy and healthy!
Two threads about the exact same flight. Let's pick one or the other.

Finally lost my bird after 9 months of great no issues flying.

I believe when the aircraft is being forced into landing, you are still able to hold up on the lever which will maintain that altitude as long as the lever is held up. You can then fly to a safe landing area. There was a time this feature wasn't working but beta tester's complained and it was put back into the firmware.

Reactions: Trackman1
I believe when the aircraft is being forced into landing, you are still able to hold up on the lever which will maintain that altitude as long as the lever is held up. You can then fly to a safe landing area.
True. But, the flight ended in the air.

Not sure. I think Healthy Drones is the bees knees, but I wish people would start posting their logs here instead.

Can I get an admin to lock this post? Duplicated after I started this one and I only did this OP as a favor. He's getting a lot more answers and comments in the other post. Thanks

Not sure. I think Healthy Drones is the bees knees, but I wish people would start posting their logs here instead.

No doubt! The .csv file on that website is extremely data limited. :( It's basically a carbon copy of the Flytrex flight log which is so far behind the technology wheel it's not funny.

We need to build FrankDrones . com. Our tagline will be "Innovative flight data analysis that actually shows you what happened".

We need to build FrankDrones . com. Our tagline will be "Innovative flight data analysis that actually shows you what happened".

Yes sir....and Plus Video if included.

Can I get an admin to lock this post? Duplicated after I started this one and I only did this OP as a favor. He's getting a lot more answers and comments in the other post. Thanks
Yep. What you do is show a link to the other thread like this: Finally lost my bird after 9 months of great no issues flying.

Then after you post it, hit the report button on the bottom of your post. Explain that it's a dupe thread and they'll either lock one or merge them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik