Critical battery warning

Reaction score
Three times now I have had a critical low battery power warning co e up when the powers is plenty above the setting point , like 60% one occasion. This happened over water, I just managed to cancel the auto land and got home but heart stopping moment. Anyone else found the cause of this.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try that. I've been checking the voltage of the cells and they seem nice key balanced thought the flight. What I have practiced a lot now is cancelling the auto land. It seems to reset itself once a do a re start. I mean batt off batt on again. Weird!

Three times now I have had a critical low battery power warning co e up when the powers is plenty above the setting point , like 60% one occasion. This happened over water, I just managed to cancel the auto land and got home but heart stopping moment. Anyone else found the cause of this.

If this happens repeatedly you may also have a bad battery. Mine did that for a while on my P2 Vision. going from full down to red level then back to normal on power recycle. Eventually all out failing one day in flight. So be very wary and cautious of this. And keep track of which battery is displaying this behavior.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that, this is the battery it came with. I only have one, but another on order. I will run with the replacement for a while and see what results I get.

I had this yesterday as well.. Low voltage warning and it was auto landing... i had to take control and get it home, or it would have landed in a marshland.
I updated the firmware and it seems to be better, but who knows :)

I have a battery that is doing the same thing. Today I flew it, landed at 55%. I then shut down and started back up in about an hour. The battery was at 50%, I flew up about 200' and let it hoover. The Phantom announced critical low battery and started to land. I overrode and brought it back to me. The battery is at 96% life with 36 charges. The cells are 4.29 4.28, 4.28, and 4.27 with the charge showing 89%.
Where are you talking about cleaning the contacts, they look good to me

Where are you talking about cleaning the contacts
You should routinely clean the following battery contacts:

P3 BatteryContacts.png

Some people claim to clean them with a pencil eraser, but I'm not sure how they manage to get the eraser to make contact. I clean mine by spraying them with DeoxIT cleaner spray. Whatever you choose to use, just make sure it's safe to use on plastic.

Reactions: jcknows0
I don't think this is a battery contact issue. I would not take off on battery that is not fully charged...

How old is the battery? How many cycles? Do you always fly with a freshly charged battery? Like just before you go out. Not two days ago charged?

Reactions: S5S5G6
I charge the evening before, as I go out early in the morning. My batteries would be charged about 20 hours at the point where I fly them. It's a new battery, 36 charges on it, and it was showing 100% life this morning. I pulled up the battery view as it was hovering this morning and at 96% charge I had two cells that were blinking in and out of yellow. I'm thinking this battery is going south, or I need to clean the terminals with the cleaner that I have ordered.

You should routinely clean the following battery contacts:

View attachment 36697

Some people claim to clean them with a pencil eraser, but I'm not sure how they manage to get the eraser to make contact. I clean mine by spraying them with DeoxIT cleaner spray. Whatever you choose to use, just make sure it's safe to use on plastic.
Thanks again Mike-- just ordered a can:D

Reactions: jcknows0
I charge the evening before, as I go out early in the morning. My batteries would be charged about 20 hours at the point where I fly them. It's a new battery, 36 charges on it, and it was showing 100% life this morning. I pulled up the battery view as it was hovering this morning and at 96% charge I had two cells that were blinking in and out of yellow. I'm thinking this battery is going south, or I need to clean the terminals with the cleaner that I have ordered.
Have you recalibrated the Smart Battery circuitry by deep cycling to 8%?

Reactions: Wingfan04
After 20 cycles the battery requires a deep discharge to 8% to reset the internal voltage meter.

Yes, I let both of my batteries sit and discharge to 5% at about 21~22 recharges. I can try that again.

I really believe if the correct battery maintenance is done and people still experience problems this is a DJI software problem. We will see more and more drops from the sky everyday

Yes, I let both of my batteries sit and discharge to 5% at about 21~22 recharges. I can try that again.
Don't go below 8% per DJI's recommendation. Fly the batteries down to about 20%. Put the P3 on the bench with the props off and idling and take it down to 8%. Under the newer firmware they will stop idling at 10%. Just leave the controller on until the battery goes to 8%. Take the battery out and let it cool down and then recharge it. (and clean the terminals) Hopefully that will fix it.

I really believe if the correct battery maintenance is done and people still experience problems this is a DJI software problem. We will see more and more drops from the sky everyday
Belief plays no factor in this issue-- only facts supported by evidence. It is always better to follow the manufacturers recommendations than to throw them to the wind.

Belief plays no factor in this issue-- only facts supported by evidence. It is always better to follow the manufacturers recommendations than to throw them to the wind.
Well it's my belief because DJI is not reporting any such error But people are following all guidelines with the same tragic result. So it will remain my belief unless you can personally shed some light on the fact that people are doing everything DJI is suggesting and still failing. So any ideas????

Well it's my belief because DJI is not reporting any such error But people are following all guidelines with the same tragic result. So it will remain my belief unless you can personally shed some light on the fact that people are doing everything DJI is suggesting and still failing. So any ideas????
No-- I'm speechless - no ideas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers