Crisp, Clear video on tablet during flight. 2.7k or 4k?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have searched forums but can't find the answer.

I use my P3 advanced to find where cattle are in the paddocks on our cattle Station here in Australia.

Yesterday day I crashed and broke the camera yaw arm and ribbon cable.

I have ordered the new bits for a repair off Taco-rc in the USA (can't get in AUS)

I am also about to order a new camera and gimble to have as a spare.

I am wondering if the pro 4k gives a better crisper picture on the tablet while flying
Than the 2.7k does. As you might imagine the crisper the detail the easyer to spot cattle in the bushes from around 200 ft.

(I use a samsung galaxy tab 2 S )

If the 4k gives a cleaner video then I will grab one and upgrade firmware to make it a P3P.
Maybe those who have done the 2.7k-4k upgade on the advanced can advise.

Thanks in advance.

The video downlink is low resolution/lower grade than the camera recording on sd card.

I have a ipad mini 4 and 4k p3pro and I miss turkeys until i playback the actual video.

YMMV, but from what I've heard, most people think that the difference between the P & A's downlink is minimal, unless using FPV goggles. However, @P3P Canada has a P and A and says the P has a much clearer feed.

Last edited:
My experience is that I was able to see a difference in the downlink video when I switched from a smaller screen (Mini 2) to a larger screen (Air 2) but it wasn't a showstopper for me since it's only the FPV and not the high res video recorded to the SD card. If you have the 8" TAB S2, I think the different downlink (FPV) bitrate between the P3A and P3P will be less noticeable than if you have the 9.7" display. Of course as noted, YMMV especially when it comes to something like this when everyone has different conditions, tolerance, and different eyesight!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,
I am using the 9.7" screen tablet

By the way what does YMMV mean? ( not up with the text lingo)

Thanks for the replies,

By the way what does YMMV mean? ( not up with the text lingo)
Sorry about that - YMMV means "your mileage may vary."

Sort of like saying just because something worked for one person, that doesn't mean it will work for someone else.

YMMV = your mileage may vary = might be different for you

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

I have no idea if it matters but. The pro delivers a substantially higher data rate than the advanced... I have no idea if it matters as I only have the pro.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

No difference in fpv as both are at 720p I'm sure. It will come down to tablet clarity as I've used 4 now and I found iPad Air 2 and mini 4 have best clarity and the mini 4 has screen anti glare built in so I don't use a hood at all. In Western Aus that's a bonus. Which state are you in? Each state has cameras available. Also try a polarised filter help say ND8pl

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the replies,
With the 9.7" screen, you will likely be able to see the difference when viewing the higher bitrate P3P FPV on your tablet as you asked. The P3P will have a clearer and less pixelated live FPV since it maxes at 10Mbps versus 2Mbps for the P3A. Smaller screens don't show this difference as much, so some people don't even notice and think there is no difference. Only you can decide if the difference is an issue with seeing the cattle in FPV from 200 ft. And if it's worth it to you to go with a P3P or a P3A camera/gimbal. I think you'd be able to see well enough with either, but I don't know the conditions where you fly.

Here is a post with an FPV comparison:
Blurry Pixelation in outdoor settings with Phantom 3 Advanced - Page 9 - RC Groups

Another reminder - the FPV you see on your tablet while flying is not altered at all by recording to your SD card in either 2.7k or 4k. The FPV difference between the P3A and P3P is a matter of their much different downlink bitrates.

I hope that helps some. Good luck!

Last edited:
When you do these repairs I recommend you also install a carbon fiber camera guard between the landing gear. This make the landing get more rigid in a crash. The landing gear legs have a reputation for buckling on hard impact. I also recommend you install the KillerRC.com gimbal protector arm. This keeps the gimbal from flying apart in a crash, which ruins the cable. It saved my camera/gimbal recently so I'm a big fan of these two accessories. I got attacked by a bird (he lost too), then hit a tree limb, then tumbled down 40' onto blacktop. I had to replace the body shell, all 4 motors and props, battery tray, landing gear (both had cracks), and gimbal mount bracket, however my camera and gimbal were unscathed.

Watch for infrared to develop for seeing the cattle.
YES! If locating cattle is really important, an Inspire with the new FLIR camera would be the hot setup (no pun intended). :rolleyes: This new camera should be announced by DJI on Mar 1st with pricing. Yuneec is releasing FLIR on their Typhoon H in June also, however it doesn't have the flight distance capabilities you would need for field cattle surveying.

No difference in fpv as both are at 720p I'm sure. It will come down to tablet clarity as I've used 4 now and I found iPad Air 2 and mini 4 have best clarity and the mini 4 has screen anti glare built in so I don't use a hood at all. In Western Aus that's a bonus. Which state are you in? Each state has cameras available. Also try a polarised filter help say ND8pl

Thanks, I'm in Queensland. I have ordered a set of filters.

I think
No difference in fpv as both are at 720p I'm sure. It will come down to tablet clarity

I don't think this is entirely true. The higher bitrate will mean that you get a higher quality video. I can't attest to how much difference it makes but it is definitely not the same.

When you do these repairs I recommend you also install a carbon fiber camera guard between the landing gear. This make the landing get more rigid in a crash. The landing gear legs have a reputation for buckling on hard impact. I also recommend you install the KillerRC.com gimbal protector arm. This keeps the gimbal from flying apart in a crash, which ruins the cable. It saved my camera/gimbal recently so I'm a big fan of these two accessories. I got attacked by a bird (he lost too), then hit a tree limb, then tumbled down 40' onto blacktop. I had to replace the body shell, all 4 motors and props, battery tray, landing gear (both had cracks), and gimbal mount bracket, however my camera and gimbal were unscathed.
Good suggestion, I have orderd the killerRC gimble saver and a new stronger yaw arm from tarco rc.

Have taken the plunge and ordered a new 4k camera and gimble. I will repair the 2.7 k and keep it as a spare or later if not needed sell it.

Question: if the bird is upgraded to pro 4k, then say it happens again, can the 2.7 camera/gimble be put straight back on and used without 2.7k firmware downgrade?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4