Cringe worthy newbie story

Reaction score
Names in this story have been replaced to protect the stupid.

SOMEONE I KNOW (not me... seriously not me I'd never tell a soul if this was me) who we will call Bob bought a brand spankin new 1.1.1 because they liked mine so much. I guess Bob didn't get the package till the evening which resulted in the popularly felt excitment and anticipation of ones first flight. Instead of going and finding a field or waiting till the next day they decided to fly it in their small apartment.

So... As one might expect this became a bad situation. As one would not expect, Bob did NOT read the manual or do what I'm assuming to be any degree of research into how to properly operate their phantom.... Obviously since they are flying it in a small apartment. In a panic Bob realized he did not know how to land his phantom or for that matter TURN IT OFF. So Bob turned off the tx. The result being the phantom going to the ground then flying quickly INDOORS straight for him. I have no idea how he eventually turned it off. I am going to assume Bob, bruised and rather bloodied pulled out the battery.

What do you do when your phantom has acquired a taste for human flesh? Do you put it down for fear of later attacks? I suggested he just give it to me and I'll provide a proper home and informed environment for it.

Moral of the story.... DON'T DO ANYTHING YOU READ ABOVE. OBVIOUSLY.

Priceless! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Youtube is awash with First Flight videos where people shoot off like a rocket and get themselves in trouble. At least they have the decency to do it outdoors. The phantom can cut you as we have seen the photo evidence in other posts but thank the lord its not like a helicopter with carbon fibre blades that can kill you in a blink of an eye. Unless you fit a favourite mod of newbies ... carbon fibre blades which turns it into one very deadly machine in the wrong hands.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Youtube is awash with First Flight videos where people shoot off like a rocket and get themselves in trouble. At least they have the decency to do it outdoors. The phantom can cut you as we have seen the photo evidence in other posts but thank the lord its not like a helicopter with carbon fibre blades that can kill you in a blink of an eye. Unless you fit a favourite mod of newbies ... carbon fibre blades which turns it into one very deadly machine in the wrong hands.

we were all newbies once. some of us still consider ourselves newbies... HOWEVER i watched a ton of videos and did a lot of reading before turning mine on. Also, I knew how to turn it off hahahaha

If only it had a pixhawk FC in it :) (the one where it follows the controller)

All I can imagine right now is someone running round screaming with a quad hot on thier tail :lol:

VeritasDolet said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

we were all newbies once. some of us still consider ourselves newbies... HOWEVER i watched a ton of videos and did a lot of reading before turning mine on. Also, I knew how to turn it off hahahaha

When I got mine it came with a devo 10 controller and no instructions on what switch done what. I spent days trying to figure it out before I hooked it up to the pc and watched what happened on the screen when i flicked the switches.

This however caused another problem as it meant that I had used up all my alotted instruction reading time on these switches. (being a guy means by nature we can only spend 4mins reading the distructions before all interest is gone and the "it cant be that hard" mentality takes over)

This then meant I spent the next three hours in the garden screaming and shouting and throwing things around as I couldnt work out why the motors wouldnt spin up. It was only then after admiting defeat and realising that verbal comands no matter how loud and crude they were that i fired up you tube and watched how it should be done :)

Ah yes... another one in the never-ending sequence of RTFM stories. Bob thought he had bought a toy. He didn't. These things are far from foolproof as too many fools will experience. I fear someday a fresh Phantom pilot from this category will get nominated for a Darwin Award. Too bad he won't be around to receive it which is unfortunately inherent to this particular prize.

Due to bad weather/strong winds I made my very first hops/flights, starting at less than a second and ending at full over 9 minute flights, indoors in my living room but I had done all the homework and had disabled RTH as one of the many things I did to prevent bad things from happening. Having the discipline to not fly and wait until the out-of-stock prop guards were delivered a few days after I got my bird was another one.

VeritasDolet said:
we were all newbies once. some of us still consider ourselves newbies... HOWEVER i watched a ton of videos and did a lot of reading before turning mine on.
+1
I watched all the dji videos at least twice and was showing them to people saying I wanted to get a phantom.

I couldn't imagine flying a Phantom without any prior experience. I got the hang of coaxial, fixed pitch, and then even collective pitch prior to touching the 1.1.1. Granted, I didn't get the taste for a quad until after I grew a little bored with my CP heli's, but still...$400 toy and no prior xp or reading up on it? No thanks!

My first experience wasn't too different. In my defense, I did read the manual and I have a huge living room with 16ft ceilings. But excitement clearly got the better of me and my brand new Phantom's first flight lasted under a minute with it bouncing off the ceiling and then the floor in short order puking out the battery in the process. Two blades and a lot of cursing. I had no idea about the Phantom vs. Naza mode and thought the P2 worked just like the P1 in that respect, so where I thought I was in ATTI, I was not. I probably had just enough GPS through my roof to confuse the crap out of the Phantom.

kydan said:
I couldn't imagine flying a Phantom without any prior experience. I got the hang of coaxial, fixed pitch, and then even collective pitch prior to touching the 1.1.1. Granted, I didn't get the taste for a quad until after I grew a little bored with my CP heli's, but still...$400 toy and no prior xp or reading up on it? No thanks!
the closest i had to experience with RC when I got my phantom was watching my dad fly plains when I was a kid. I took it very slow and gentle and did lots of research

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1