Criminals hacking drones ... hobbyists a collateral damage

Biggest hijacking threat Americans face today

Drug traffickers and other criminals are hacking into drones. These crimes are predicted to rise, putting ordinary hobbyists - and children - at risk.

Read more: Biggest hijacking threat Americans face today

Edit ... How do you edit the topic title here?
Biggest hijacking threat? It pales in comparison to hacking our infrastructure.... idiot journalists.

What I the name of Paul hogan are they talking about.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

"The problem we're having now is people flying over people's houses," he said. "People don't know the rules, and I think that's a bigger issue."
—By Andrew Zaleski, special to CNBC.com

Yes. Because having a 4 lb drone crashing through someone's roof and the resulting massive fireball would be unfortunate indeed.
I live in a non rural area. Hard as I might try, I do find it a bit difficult to remain directly over streets during every flight.
I would fly at parks, but they all have signs prohibiting ANY sort of RC aircraft now. (those that aren't chained closed to the public with large "No Trespassing" signs anyway)
Where there's no parks, there's airports, where there's no airports there's government buildings, where there's no government buildings....well, you get the idea.....so all those areas are out as well.

Fortunately, I can still fly in my living room!!!!. Hallelujah !!!!

Wait, isn't there a new drone law in the works prohibiting flight in occupied structures?.....<sigh>

You guys that live in rural areas got it made....except for the William Merediths out there :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TrevorTron
I agree, I have a large field/lot across the street from my house. This is right in the middle of a neighborhood, houses all around. I swear I get dirty looks when flying my drone, it's like they are just waiting for me to fly to close to their property so they can say something. It's not a case where people are just checking it out, it's easy to spot the people that think the drone is cool and are checking it out.

I only fly within the lot but I don't get all the hostility. I say f'em, one night one of those neighbors was having a party with loud music and I was doing some night flying from my home. I didn't fly over but I was up high and I think they saw the lights, they turned down the music, how funny.

8794450c408958066feabc31e0f555e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I sold my drones. Aside from the lack of time to fly, the public perception is just too much to deal with. I remember a couple years ago when I would fly my V+ in the park in my town I would gather a crowd of people completely awe struck. When I got my P3 I would fly in the same park and there would be a couple other guys flying their V+s. Then it all changed, almost overnight... the bystanders turned into sneering passers-by, the questions went from "wow what is that?" to "are you spying on me?", etc. I felt like I was doing something wrong every time I took her up. So I sold, and will wait for this to all blow over and perhaps get back into it then. The negative perception took the fun out of it for me.

Sorry to hear that.

I've been in r/c aviation for 3+ decades and I simply don't care what others think of it or me.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Sorry to hear that.

I've been in r/c aviation for 3+ decades and I simply don't care what others think of it or me.
I hear that, but for me the extreme lack of free time to fly planted the seed, the bs rolling down the hill solidified the decision.

I sold my drones. Aside from the lack of time to fly, the public perception is just too much to deal with. I remember a couple years ago when I would fly my V+ in the park in my town I would gather a crowd of people completely awe struck. When I got my P3 I would fly in the same park and there would be a couple other guys flying their V+s. Then it all changed, almost overnight... the bystanders turned into sneering passers-by, the questions went from "wow what is that?" to "are you spying on me?", etc. I felt like I was doing something wrong every time I took her up. So I sold, and will wait for this to all blow over and perhaps get back into it then. The negative perception took the fun out of it for me.

Sorry to hear that bbfpv. But completely understood. And it's not just "drones". The entire RC flying community has been demonized.
So far it's mostly been a "law-fest" of new regs against drones. But I suspect once the stories of arrests, fines and confiscations start appearing regularly, a lot more people will follow your lead.

I read a story that pointed out that "Senators and lobbyists" gave a large amount of support to restricting RC flying.
I think we all know who owns both of those two groups and maybe that tells us what's coming. We're just in the way.

"All your skies belong to us"
- Mega Money (Amazon, Law Enforcement, Military etc)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj