Crazy Mystery Crash & DJI Awesomeness!

Reaction score
Wrote the whole thing up then lost it... now all you get is the video. Sorry... don't feel like typing it again.

Yes I know what I'm doing (built many DJI birds), yes I shouldn't have been over an urban area, yeah yeah yea... check out the video. It's crazy. Almost 80mph on the way back 5mph tail wind. Hit the historic generals house. No damage was being painted so plastic all over it.

Happened 5 flights after the upgrade before the 1.4.1 upgrade. Can't remember the numbers.

DJI did the right thing!!! I think they gave me a brand new P3P. 5 weeks. Wow. I'm a happy camper.

Enjoy.

P.S. Overlay vid doesn't match telemetry exactly because of video jitter.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=c0xVWEItMDZNQkU5VEtzbXNWWHJFT3lXcVhRWWtR

Woah!!
I had the same kind of crazy.
Happened twice in a row.
First time I was able to retrieve. Second it was in a lake.
Glad DJI helped you out.
I'm nervous to fly mine now as these are happening more and more. My pv2+ never had issues.

Reactions: Fast13
Wrote the whole thing up then lost it... now all you get is the video. Sorry... don't feel like typing it again.

Yes I know what I'm doing (built many DJI birds), yes I shouldn't have been over an urban area, yeah yeah yea... check out the video. It's crazy. Almost 80mph on the way back 5mph tail wind. Hit the historic generals house. No damage was being painted so plastic all over it.

Happened 5 flights after the upgrade before the 1.4.1 upgrade. Can't remember the numbers.

DJI did the right thing!!! I think they gave me a brand new P3P. 5 weeks. Wow. I'm a happy camper.

Enjoy.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=c0xVWEItMDZNQkU5VEtzbXNWWHJFT3lXcVhRWWtR
What was the cause of this malfunction did DJI said?

Enjoy.

80MPH on the way back with 5mph tailwind-- the upper air tail wind was obviously faster than 5MPH--- that is probably the reason you lost it.

Enjoy.

Whoa, you flew right over my old apartment at Fillmore and North Point.

What was the cause of this malfunction did DJI said?
They didn't say a thing. There was ZERO communication other than to say that they'd found that the gimbal and landing gear had been found to be damaged and had been repaired and that they were shipping it back to me. I was very concerned that they wouldn't be sending me a new battery because the battery in the crash was destroyed and they told me not to ship it to them. I was not happy I couldn't get an answer regarding the battery but when it showed up everything was there brand spanking new with a new battery. BUT... They never admitted that the P3P malfunctioned just as expected.

Here's what they sent me:

Dear XYZ,

Upon inspection of your Phantom 3 we found multiple damaged components, some including landing gears, gimbal and central main board. The components have been replaced and your Phantom 3 has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.

Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any other questions, please contact our support center at
818-235-0789 M-F 9AM-5PM Pacific Time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

They didn't say a thing. There was ZERO communication other than to say that they'd found that the gimbal and landing gear had been found to be damaged and had been repaired and that they were shipping it back to me. I was very concerned that they wouldn't be sending me a new battery because the battery in the crash was destroyed and they told me not to ship it to them. I was not happy I couldn't get an answer regarding the battery but when it showed up everything was there brand spanking new with a new battery. BUT... They never admitted that the P3P malfunctioned just as expected.

Here's what they sent me:

Dear XYZ,

Upon inspection of your Phantom 3 we found multiple damaged components, some including landing gears, gimbal and central main board. The components have been replaced and your Phantom 3 has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.

Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any other questions, please contact our support center at
818-235-0789 M-F 9AM-5PM Pacific Time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible
At least u got a new one that nice of them. Does it have the new star shaped motors on?

At least u got a new one that nice of them. Does it have the new star shaped motors on?
Good question. hmmm.... I know there are new motors but how do I tell if these are the new ones?

I have 2 P3P's and putting them next to each other they look identical. I don't see any markings that would differentiate them. So probably not.

Attachments

• 1443322655554.jpg
    1443322655554.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 531
I love the 'over the city' flights. Do that again the way you originally planned and repost.

DJI never tells you that something was there fault... it would be fodder for lawsuits. They will just say that they fixed it and 'no charge'. one of my repairs was free and the other I paid for. Some type of cut and paste email, just one had the costs involved included and how to pay.

You're kidding right?
Nope, these things don't fly 80 mph unless they are in the jet stream
Here is the quote "Almost 80mph on the way back 5mph tail wind."

He doesn't seem kidding. Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to ask.
Just look at the evidence. It doesn't make any sense that wind would be the cause. And yes, if the software doesn't limit an over discharge they can go 80mph.... easily. The thing went crazy, plain and simple and that's why DJI replaced it, no questions asked.

Also, I've verified that this is indeed a new P3P. The serial numbers are different.

Just look at the evidence. It doesn't make any sense that wind would be the cause. And yes, if the software doesn't limit an over discharge they can go 80mph.... easily. The thing went crazy, plain and simple and that's why DJI replaced it, no questions asked.

Also, I've verified that this is indeed a new P3P. The serial numbers are different.
Your information is incorrect according to what has been posted in this forum-- 80 mph is not possible without a tailwind of at least 40 mph.

Mine acted up a little like that, then steadily got worse until I didn't trust it and sent it in. They said it was the main board (and an LED light). Sent it back in 3 weeks total and I haven't had any problems. HealthyDrones seemed to suggest a problem with the compass, but if the main board was broken then who knows what was up.

Glad you got it back and it was fixed. How did you sync the video and flight log videos together? That's super cool.

I have a hard time believing 80mph w/only a 5mph tail wind. Doesn't seem to add up to me. I really don't think they are capable of that kind of speed unless there is something I don't know about.

I have a hard time believing 80mph w/only a 5mph tail wind. Doesn't seem to add up to me. I really don't think they are capable of that kind of speed unless there is something I don't know about.
They aren't if it is going that fast, there is a tail wind that you shouldn't even be flying in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers