Crazy Behavior - extreme drift, TBE

Reaction score
I'm getting some crazy stuff happening since I upgraded firmware to the most recent a few days ago. I'm going to post about them separately but want to know how far back I can downgrade and still support the 3D gimbal.

Re: Crazy Behavior with newest firmware?

At least 1.08 I think. Wait for others to confirm tho...

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I believe firmware version 2 added H3-3D support (you can always go read the release notes) but I've also read from multiple people around here having problems downgrading from the latest firmware 3.02 so you may want to be wary or at least read around about it. 3.0 supposedly was OK to downgrade from but I'd be more careful if you went to 3.02

I upgraded to 3.02 a few days ago when my problems started (and which today resulted in a crash). I have reverted to 2.0 which, from the release notes, appears to be the first time the H3-3D is supported. I hope to test later today.

Ultimately, since I have seen no other reports of seriously errant flight in 3.02, it may be I have another problem. I certainly hope not as I'm booked to shoot my first aerial job Saturday!

QYV said:
I believe firmware version 2 added H3-3D support (you can always go read the release notes) but I've also read from multiple people around here having problems downgrading from the latest firmware 3.02 so you may want to be wary or at least read around about it. 3.0 supposedly was OK to downgrade from but I'd be more careful if you went to 3.02

adanac said:
I'm booked to shoot my first aerial job Saturday!

I break the law every day so I'm certainly not preaching at you, just make sure you're aware of what you're doing. Current US FAA regs say any use of a drone other than personal recreational use is banned and they are sending people $10k fine notices.
I'd keep any commercial use of your Phantom very quiet if I were you!

Right on, thank you. Let's hope it's not a moot point. Going to test the revert to 2.0 now. Fingers crossed.

QYV said:
adanac said:

I break the law every day so I'm certainly not preaching at you, just make sure you're aware of what you're doing. Current US FAA regs say any use of a drone other than personal recreational use is banned and they are sending people $10k fine notices.

This thread is going to cause issues unless you tell us what this crazy behavior is. I've upgraded to 3.02 and it works just fine. Your issues could be unique to your Phantom or the way it was upgraded and unrelated to the firmware itself.

I'm going to post video and detailed information in a while. Because I have to use the Phantom on Saturday, I'm spending time trying to figure out what is causing the problems which, are in short, extreme right drift and random 30-40 degree left pans. I just came back from testing after reverting to 2.0 and it still did it, so it's clear it's not 3.02.

I mounted my anti-interference board to the main board over the rx (which is disconnected because I put a Futaba in there - not related), so I'm going to try removing it before the next test. What happens when you fly with no anti-interference board?

Also, my gimbal vibrates a LOT in flight. Incredibly, I don't see it in the footage but it's very obvious when you look at the gimbal itself.

ianwood said:
This thread is going to cause issues unless you tell us what this crazy behavior is. I've upgraded to 3.02 and it works just fine. Your issues could be unique to your Phantom or the way it was upgraded and unrelated to the firmware itself.

I have had the exact same issue with poor craft handling, J hooking after upgrading to 3.0, there are several threads but based on my testing in Colorado (yes it does seem to be relative to your declination) 3.0 willl not hold altitude, and has overall problematic behavior, as soon as I reverted to 1,08 all issues were resolved. As far as I know these issues are still unresolved as of 5-14-14.

Here are the details i posted in another thread.

I reverted back to 1.08 firmware after updating to 2.0 then 3.0 because the craft would not maintain elevation and overall general decrease in control. After reverting the craft controls the way it used too ie. very good response and feel. It was very easy to revert since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software, my PC has versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0. I simply ran the executable for 1.08, plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy. I did have a lingering issue, that is my Gimbal Tilt switch no longer worked, it stopped working after the update to version 3. I have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimabl. It was solved by recalibrating the X1 stick in the assist software.

Now before I start getting a bunch of advice please read these clarifications below. PS. I re-calibrated everything via the software after every version update, as well as re-calibrating the craft as well.

1. I have flown my Phantom 2 for 5 months EVERYDAY for an hour at least. This is the only way to become a good pilot.

2. I do lots of low flying over water, very delicate flight patterns, NO room for error.

3. I never update firmware unless I have an issue, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

4. I decided to update from 1.08 to 2.0 for one reason only, I loved the new max descent speed limit since my one and only crash was due to a very high altitude descent in stormy conditions and came down too fast and without enough forward/backward movement and entering into the wobble of death/vortex ring state and the craft plummeted to the ground. I now know that if I enter this state simply back of the throttle and give it forward or backward stick gently.

5. As soon as I updated to 2.0 I began to notice flight control issues, to be specific, the craft would no longer MAINTAIN altitude at hover and also when you moved in any direction the craft would lose altitude, I nearly ditched the craft into the water several times before heading to the backyard for some serious flight analysis. I verified that the craft no longer moved or responded in the same way it had for the previous 200 flights, I was always having to add throttle up to maintain elevation, with no control movement at all the craft would drop several feet and rise and fall slowly over and over, when moving in any direction the craft would lose elevation and lastly when I would do a big pull back shot ie. Backwards and up at the same time it would "hook" left as it flew away, not a hard hook but a hook. I do this type of shot every day and do know that a compass issue will cause the same thing, but remember I recalibrated my compass before each flight just trying to eliminate variables.

6. Next I upgraded to 3.0 just in case these were version bugs, they do occur, I am a programmer and I know how easy it is cause issues with "improvements" and debugging can take time. The flight control issues remained PLUS now my gimbal would not work. I did extensive flight tests, low level, hover, pull backs and all the conditions existed. Keep in mind I performed all tests in exactly the same location as to not introduce any locations variables.
7. Frustrated I got up this morning and decided to attempt a roll back to what IO deemed the last stable version 1.08. I read the forums but there was way too much conflicting and emotional dialog to sort thru so I decided to just give it a whirl. Since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software I DID NOT have to locate the installer for 1.08 or uninstall 3.0, all the older versions still existed in an installed state on my PC. I had versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0.
a. I simply located the executable for 1.08 C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\Phantom2.exe
b. Plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy.
c. I then recalibrated the controller and went to do some hands on flight tests. Everything is now great again, all the previous issues were gone, no drop in elevation when moving, much more stable hovering and no more J hook on the big pull backs
d. Solved the Gimbal Tilt Switch problem thanks to the folks at DroneFly, the asked me to simply re-calibrate the X1 (Gimbal Switch) using the Assistant Software, go to Basic, then RC, then go to the Sticks Monitor and click Start in the X1 calibration, articulate the gimbal switch, then click Finish and all will be well.
8. I truly hope this info is helpful and would love to get your feedback. I love to fly my Phantom and know how hard it must be for DJI to manage hardware and software changes and also know they are trying to beat the governments to the punch at protecting airports and aircraft from careless pilots, I think this is a good thing for the sport.

Thanks for your post! I'm starting to think my problem is motor or gimbal related. The heli vibrates a lot and started to the day I installed the 3D gimbal. I am returning it to BH tomorrow and will get another, along with another full P2/3D setup, which I will return if the new gimbal solves the problem.

Gonzoshots said:
I have had the exact same issue with poor craft handling, J hooking after upgrading to 3.0, there are several threads but based on my testing in Colorado (yes it does seem to be relative to your declination) 3.0 willl not hold altitude, and has overall problematic behavior, as soon as I reverted to 1,08 all issues were resolved. As far as I know these issues are still unresolved as of 5-14-14.

Here are the details i posted in another thread.

I reverted back to 1.08 firmware after updating to 2.0 then 3.0 because the craft would not maintain elevation and overall general decrease in control. After reverting the craft controls the way it used too ie. very good response and feel. It was very easy to revert since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software, my PC has versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0. I simply ran the executable for 1.08, plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy. I did have a lingering issue, that is my Gimbal Tilt switch no longer worked, it stopped working after the update to version 3. I have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimabl. It was solved by recalibrating the X1 stick in the assist software.

Now before I start getting a bunch of advice please read these clarifications below. PS. I re-calibrated everything via the software after every version update, as well as re-calibrating the craft as well.

1. I have flown my Phantom 2 for 5 months EVERYDAY for an hour at least. This is the only way to become a good pilot.

2. I do lots of low flying over water, very delicate flight patterns, NO room for error.

3. I never update firmware unless I have an issue, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

4. I decided to update from 1.08 to 2.0 for one reason only, I loved the new max descent speed limit since my one and only crash was due to a very high altitude descent in stormy conditions and came down too fast and without enough forward/backward movement and entering into the wobble of death/vortex ring state and the craft plummeted to the ground. I now know that if I enter this state simply back of the throttle and give it forward or backward stick gently.

5. As soon as I updated to 2.0 I began to notice flight control issues, to be specific, the craft would no longer MAINTAIN altitude at hover and also when you moved in any direction the craft would lose altitude, I nearly ditched the craft into the water several times before heading to the backyard for some serious flight analysis. I verified that the craft no longer moved or responded in the same way it had for the previous 200 flights, I was always having to add throttle up to maintain elevation, with no control movement at all the craft would drop several feet and rise and fall slowly over and over, when moving in any direction the craft would lose elevation and lastly when I would do a big pull back shot ie. Backwards and up at the same time it would "hook" left as it flew away, not a hard hook but a hook. I do this type of shot every day and do know that a compass issue will cause the same thing, but remember I recalibrated my compass before each flight just trying to eliminate variables.

6. Next I upgraded to 3.0 just in case these were version bugs, they do occur, I am a programmer and I know how easy it is cause issues with "improvements" and debugging can take time. The flight control issues remained PLUS now my gimbal would not work. I did extensive flight tests, low level, hover, pull backs and all the conditions existed. Keep in mind I performed all tests in exactly the same location as to not introduce any locations variables.
7. Frustrated I got up this morning and decided to attempt a roll back to what IO deemed the last stable version 1.08. I read the forums but there was way too much conflicting and emotional dialog to sort thru so I decided to just give it a whirl. Since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software I DID NOT have to locate the installer for 1.08 or uninstall 3.0, all the older versions still existed in an installed state on my PC. I had versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0.
a. I simply located the executable for 1.08 C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\Phantom2.exe
b. Plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy.
c. I then recalibrated the controller and went to do some hands on flight tests. Everything is now great again, all the previous issues were gone, no drop in elevation when moving, much more stable hovering and no more J hook on the big pull backs
d. Solved the Gimbal Tilt Switch problem thanks to the folks at DroneFly, the asked me to simply re-calibrate the X1 (Gimbal Switch) using the Assistant Software, go to Basic, then RC, then go to the Sticks Monitor and click Start in the X1 calibration, articulate the gimbal switch, then click Finish and all will be well.
8. I truly hope this info is helpful and would love to get your feedback. I love to fly my Phantom and know how hard it must be for DJI to manage hardware and software changes and also know they are trying to beat the governments to the punch at protecting airports and aircraft from careless pilots, I think this is a good thing for the sport.

QYV said:
adanac said:

And the lost............http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/06/us/drone-pilot-case-faa/

Its not just drones, its any type of aircraft and thats the problem, full size or model. And yes I break the rules also. But I don't bill people for my flying, video or pictures. I bill for travel time and editing ;)

So did this start happening when you added the new gimbal? Take the gimbal off and retest. Sounds like it is shaking the IMU in the P2 to the point where it's throwing up.

It started on the day I both installed the 3D and upgraded firmware. A downgrade didn't correct it so I'm taking it back to BH today for an exchange. I had a crash yesterday when the Phantom went nuts. I wonder if a vibrating gimbal threw off the FC.

ianwood said:
So did this start happening when you added the new gimbal? Take the gimbal off and retest. Sounds like it is shaking the IMU in the P2 to the point where it's throwing up.

On a Mac at least, downgrading once on v3.0.4 to v2.0 doesn't work, even going through v1.0.8 first. If someone has figured our a way to get to v2.0 after installing v3.0.4 on a Mac, please post.

Kelso Kubat said:
Breakin the Law, breaking the Law!
Breakin the Law
Breaaaakingggg The Lawwwwww :shock:
What on earth are you going on about?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

I can run Windows on my Mac, a decision made when I started using DJI products, so I'm not the best one to answer this question directly. However, I think what has to happen for Mac users in general is that they/we accumulate versions on our computers as they come out.

damoncooper said:
On a Mac at least, downgrading once on v3.0.4 to v2.0 doesn't work, even going through v1.0.8 first. If someone has figured our a way to get to v2.0 after installing v3.0.4 on a Mac, please post.

Kelso Kubat said:
running 3.04 as of this morning. 4 batteries flown and all went well. feels a lot more stable then 3.02.
maybe 3.04 is the new 1.8
felt good to me. well see how it goes... :shock:
Kelso, I can confirm that too. Full throttle and forward descent now work together although still at the ridiculous forced cap of 2 m/s. I have no problem with a default of 2 m/s just prefer a manual overide. Virtually no drift on yaw and no height drop with forward stick. Looking good. I risked it and hit the default gains button too prior to yesterdays 2 test flights.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

QYV said:
adanac said:

And they have lost…………….http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-0 ... t-faa.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.