CRASHED!

Reaction score
Long story short... Lake Ontario ate my Phantom 3 Standard. I had that drone for a little over a year and had already considered upgrading. My question to my fellow pilots is this: Would you upgrade to the new Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro? I am leaning towards the Phantom 4 because of the MUCH improved camera and the obstacle avoidance features. Do you guys think that the extra few hundred dollars is worth it? To me, the Mavic seems like a Phantom 3 4k in a new/smaller package for $1k. The Phantom 4 looks like the actual "upgrade."

I am leaning towards the Phantom 4 because of the MUCH improved camera and the obstacle avoidance features.
If you're referring to the P4P, the obstacle avoidance features aren't really any better than what the Mavic offers. In most flight modes, the side sensors cannot be used to avoid obstacles. If you do a lot of backwards flying, then you would benefit by having the rear sensors.

the Mavic seems like a Phantom 3 4k in a new/smaller package for $1k.
It's more like a P4 in a smaller package.

From a current p3s owner, what caused crash?
Not paying enough attention to where the bird was. I crashed it into a tree... then if fell on a rock break wall... then into Lake Ontario where it was battered by 5ft waves for a few hours before we could find it. Oops

I am in your shoes almost minus the crash. I just purchased my Phantom 3 Standard a month ago and I am already looking at upgrading. I am looking hard at the Phantom 4 Pro. I like the larger size compared to the Mavic. I think you can see it better at long distances compared to the Mavic. I feel it would be better at handling wind being a heavier drone. I am debating on which model to get? The one with the screen or the one without?

If you're referring to the P4P, the obstacle avoidance features aren't really any better than what the Mavic offers. In most flight modes, the side sensors cannot be used to avoid obstacles. If you do a lot of backwards flying, then you would benefit by having the rear sensors.

It's more like a P4 in a smaller package.

The mechanical shutter, native 4K60 and improved sensor are what most people would be looking for in the Pro. Vastly superior to the Mavic if you're into photography, the portability of the Mavic wins out if you're not...

I am in your shoes almost minus the crash. I just purchased my Phantom 3 Standard a month ago and I am already looking at upgrading. I am looking hard at the Phantom 4 Pro. I like the larger size compared to the Mavic. I think you can see it better at long distances compared to the Mavic. I feel it would be better at handling wind being a heavier drone. I am debating on which model to get? The one with the screen or the one without?
I have a nice phone or a tablet I can use for the screen, so spending the extra $300 on that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I have a nice phone or a tablet I can use for the screen, so spending the extra $300 on that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

You don't need the screen on the remote for the Pro, you get the screen only if you buy the Pro+.

The Mavic tends to handle winds a little better than the Phantom, it presents a much smaller cross sectional area for the wind to push against.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik