Crashed today wind gust. Need opinion on Shell

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well it finally happened my first crash and of course it had to be into a cement chimney. It happened on take off everything was fully calibrated, safe to fly GPS so I took off maybe not in the widest of opened areas but I have flown here before. Upon launching about 40 feet in the air an unexpected wind just pushed it right into the chimney. Anyways, the gimbal broke off on 1 spot and the props as well. I ordered the new pieces but I noticed a nice gash on the top part of the shell. After replacing the props and while I wait for the gimbal vibration pad to come in I wanted to make sure everything else was fine. I took off just in front of my house and hovered everything appears to be ok. My question is do i replace the shell or hold off for a bit. Attached is the pic. I just want everyones advice i would hate to have it crash or get lost because of it.
Thanks in advance

View media item 624

Hi Everyone,

Well it finally happened my first crash and of course it had to be into a cement chimney. It happened on take off everything was fully calibrated, safe to fly GPS so I took off maybe not in the widest of opened areas but I have flown here before. Upon launching about 40 feet in the air an unexpected wind just pushed it right into the chimney. Anyways, the gimbal broke off on 1 spot and the props as well. I ordered the new pieces but I noticed a nice gash on the top part of the shell. After replacing the props and while I wait for the gimbal vibration pad to come in I wanted to make sure everything else was fine. I took off just in front of my house and hovered everything appears to be ok. My question is do i replace the shell or hold off for a bit. Attached is the pic. I just want everyones advice i would hate to have it crash or get lost because of it.
Thanks in advance

View media item 624
Just got this error message on your attachment.
The wiki is currently closed for maintenance. It will be available again shortly.

Thanks. I attached a picture let me know if it works

Attachments

• IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    685 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2665.JPG
    IMG_2665.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 504
Gosh, that does seem like a nasty gouge, but aside from that, you got away very lucky.
Not a consolation, but you must admit, It could have been so much, far more worse.

Patch her up, and fly another day.

& Please Find a more Open area to cut her Loose in.

RedHotPoker

Thanks everyone. The one day I wasn't going to fly but a neighbor asked for aerial shot of his new construction. I am just glad it wasn't much worse or costly. We will see how she flys once I get the bracket and maybe replace the shell in the future as along as she flies well.

Us musicians call that "adding character" when we bang up our guitars. You will probably trim a few trees and have a few hard landings in your future. I say leave every scar. It will look like a Star Wars prop after a couple years. Think of all the beer drinking stories you will have of your adventures as a quad pilot.

Thanks Fan-Tom and your probably right but the beer drinking stories will be the best. Lol

Oh sure I jest, while only trying to make you feel better about your minor mishap. There is actually nothing funny about this video.
& yet I laugh like a fool, every time I witness the knuckle headed move.

I bet he fires it up again, only this time, you don't want to see...

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Or worse, he lives to fly another day...
Showing off his RC stick prowess and piloting finesse, to friends, loved family, coworkers.

Where is the FAA now? ;-)

Surprise!!

RedHotPoker

Or worse, he lives to fly another day...
Showing off his RC stick prowess and piloting finesse, to friends, loved family, coworkers.

Where is the FAA now? ;-)

Surprise!!

RedHotPoker
Well, he probably wasn't in a designated NO FLY ZONE:D:D

Wonder how everything Phantom 3, is going for You @bobmyers?
You must be a beta tester for Apple. Because you are the very first pilot I know of, with an iPad Air 3.

"P3Pv1.3.2-- RC v1.3.2 DJI GO App: v2.0.0
IPad Air 3: iOS 8.3
QAV 500-GoPro3"

Blank stare, and still on iOS 8.3, you survivor... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Sorry for your crash. Looks like the gimbal guard is pretty pointless?

Wonder how everything Phantom 3, is going for You @bobmyers?
You must be a beta tester for Apple. Because you are the very first pilot I know of, with an iPad Air 3.

"P3Pv1.3.2-- RC v1.3.2 DJI GO App: v2.0.0
IPad Air 3: iOS 8.3
QAV 500-GoPro3"

Blank stare, and still on iOS 8.3, you survivor... ;-)

RedHotPoker
Phantom 3 is going great for now even with the "latest upgrades" which I don't usually do until everyone else does the beta testing:D I like the Go App releases in IOS -- no issues thus far-- No I am not a beta tester for Apple, but I really like this IPAD (Air 3) -- works well-- still on 8.3 since there may be some issues with 9-- except it overheats in the direct sunlight -- so I sit in the AC truck most of the time:D:D:D:D and shade when I can find it. Notice I said shade. I am a shade tree flyer.. Enjoy your humor and comments-- Cheers:):):)

I have been asking and joking about the iPad Air 3 for weeks.
Where did you get an iPad Air 3? ;-)
Do tell... Inquiring minds need to know. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

I ran into a chimney also and wasn't so lucky. I will always wonder if I had prop guards on if it would have saved me about $600. Does anyone have any experience of running into something going slow using them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20