Crashed P2V+ Options .......

Reaction score
Ok ... we (I) had 2 crashes this week and the gimbal/cam took hits both times .... Both crashes were Pilot Error ... Just trying to get some feed back on my options ..... when I Purchased the Phantom thru Amazon they offered the "smart guard" accident insurance for 69.00 (3 years) so I got it .... Contacted SG about claim and was informed as of Sept. 2014 they no longer cover Drones ... I purchased the policy in Jan 2015 ...After some discussion they finally agreed to repair the cam but I'm pretty sure they will still refuse the claim saying cam is ok and the gimbal is not covered .... all this could take weeks if not longer ....

I can just replace the assembly but your looking at prob 5-700 for new replacement ..... however ... you can get a whole new P2V for less than 1100 now ....
Also.... the option to go to a different Gimbal/cam setup but with the odd P2V configuration could be costly and not practical ......

I have flown the phantom without the gimbal and all seems ok .....needs new landing gear .....

Open to Ideas ....... what ya got ???????? thanks ......mike

Hi,

Sounds like a tough choice. Just looking at the economics, the new one would give you a second charger ($39.00) Three new batteries if you get the $1169 package ($300.00) plus you would have a bunch of spare parts. You might even be able to sell your flyable Phantom minus the camera to someone who just wants to chase the neighborhood dogs and not interested in the camera. How bad is the camera/gimbal damaged? The ribbon cable can be replaced for about $100 or so. Gimbal I haven't a clue about repairing.

So if you decide to stay with Phantom and not look at other options, I would say get the whole she bang. I'm not sure what I would do because there are now some options out there that I would take a look at before buying another Phantom. Hope I haven't confused you too much. lol

johnp44 said:
Hi,

Sounds like a tough choice. Just looking at the economics, the new one would give you a second charger ($39.00) Three new batteries if you get the $1169 package ($300.00) plus you would have a bunch of spare parts. You might even be able to sell your flyable Phantom minus the camera to someone who just wants to chase the neighborhood dogs and not interested in the camera. How bad is the camera/gimbal damaged? The ribbon cable can be replaced for about $100 or so. Gimbal I haven't a clue about repairing.

So if you decide to stay with Phantom and not look at other options, I would say get the whole she bang. I'm not sure what I would do because there are now some options out there that I would take a look at before buying another Phantom. Hope I haven't confused you too much. lol

I think UAV Repair could fix mine but 2-300? maybe more? ...anyway its going to be tied up with Smart Guard for a while .......m

Mike,
Send her over. Diagnostic fee is $50 and then once I go throught the whole thing I give you the options
On what you want to do but rarely it is $200-300. Usually less.
Let me know what you want to do.
Hani

hunch said:
Mike,
Send her over. Diagnostic fee is $50 and then once I go throught the whole thing I give you the options
Hani

This sounds like the best option, why buy another when what you have may be repaired and possibly made better than what you had, were my thoughts. Plus, I understand Hani is the man for such work. Just another point of view.

hunch said:
Mike,
Hani

Hani ...... already got your number plugged into my phone !!!!!!

The camera and gimbal have to be considered one part. You can not buy them separately so they have to be covered as one part. Let smart guard take care of this for you.

DJI is rumored to coming out with a new V3, or altogether new quad in May. The main change will be the camera/gimbal combo. The worse part from what I saw was the camera they decided to start to use went back to square pictures and not wide screen. I know what I read, but I find it hard to believe any company would be that screwed up to use something that doesn't coexist with the technology in consumers homes. I'm guessing the images would need to be put through a converter or who knows what their thinking? As you know all of this is due to GoPro announcing they will manufacture their own line of quads. And of coarse DJI will no longer fit any of their models with gopro camera parts or accessories.

If you are a gopro kind of person, you will no doubt want to keep an eye on what GoPros plan are out of the gate.

Now that DJI has opened the door to their software, I plan to continue using DJI products. Our current quad is just months if not weeks from having some awesome software capabilities for us to use. Not only that, but new manufacturers are now getting heavily involved. There again will be some super awesome accessories coming our way. And the more involvement, the less expensive these products will be. It will be like spin the wheel and see where you fit in cause there will surely be plenty of options to choose from.

offthefront said:
hunch said:
Mike,
Hani

Hani ...... already got your number plugged into my phone !!!!!!

Well call me then already. Lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik