Crashed my trusted P3P

Reaction score
So it happened.
This is my turn to cry the loss of my "toy", and in a so ridiculous way that I have to share it to avoid to the others to do the same stupid thing.
I was doing a shot for a client, having to get some altitude and hover. There were trees.... you see? I was not at the best place to observe it and I had to tilt the camera at the same time. So I was all focused on the screen and he (the client) was telling me where to stop. I still hear him: "You're ok go... go .... and suddenly, hit a branch, motors went off and then the fall down, hit the ground, camera ejected away...
Visible damage is:
Gimbal broken, ribbon cut, shell has suffered a bit, legs are somewhat misaligned.
I restarted it and it flies ok, still giving indications about everything but no more picture of course.
I declared the incident to my insurance and I hope they will not find a good reason to deny the cover... They are so good at that!
I didn't say a word of reproach to the client, even if he is directly responsible for the crash. He didn't say anything either to take the blame...
It is a lesson: Never trust anyone when you are at the sticks. Only you can tell if you can go somewhere or not. It is soooo easy to ruin the day, the job, and the coming ones while you're waiting for the repair.
Bad day :(

Reactions: Reed L
Wow... That's terrible, no remorse from the client at all? Be sure to charge him for it...

This is one reason you can have two controllers on an Inspire - one looks out for the bird exclusively. Also another reason to have a spotter.

If you are doing this professionally - you really ought to have some backup machine. Things break (otherwise we wouldn't have much to talk about here). We all make mistakes. Now is a good time to rationalize a new P3P and fix the old one.

(And of course a better computer, a couple of new batteries and, perhaps, an Inspire. Those prices are getting awfully uncomfortable.

This is one reason you can have two controllers on an Inspire - one looks out for the bird exclusively. Also another reason to have a spotter.

If you are doing this professionally - you really ought to have some backup machine. Things break (otherwise we wouldn't have much to talk about here). We all make mistakes. Now is a good time to rationalize a new P3P and fix the old one.

(And of course a better computer, a couple of new batteries and, perhaps, an Inspire. Those prices are getting awfully uncomfortable.
You're definitely right about backup. I'm getting a P4 now and the P3 will become the backup. It's a shame, I really didn't want a P4 now, I planned to wait until a really more advanced came out. At list I will have sense and avoid, but not in all directions. Feel so stupid!

Wow... That's terrible, no remorse from the client at all? Be sure to charge him for it...
He didn't say anything... I don't think I'm going to charge him. I guess I have to swallow the loss. Difficult to go that way as it would probably clash!

Backup machine, yes, but also a spotter (not the client) whose job is to watch the craft all the time. The spotter will keep safe your craft, but also save the job.

Still, from someone who has crashed more than once, my condolences. The good news is that if all that is wrong is the gimble/camera parts, you can replace this yourself for less than the cost of a new P3P.

Chris

The worst part is... Your client was starting his own UAV business and was chuckling as he drove you to fly yours into that tree. No competition anymore, jk :)

Reactions: sergekouper
Really sorry to hear this! Client pays?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I was hoping for some kind of acknowledgement but that never came...

Last edited:
You're definitely right about backup. I'm getting a P4 now and the P3 will become the backup. It's a shame, I really didn't want a P4 now, I planned to wait until a really more advanced came out. At list I will have sense and avoid, but not in all directions. Feel so stupid!
Why a P4? If you are going to keep the P3 as a backup, there is a real point to be made for getting another one like it. Cheaper, no real loss of functionality (you are taking pictures, not running sport mode all day). Same batteries. Same software. The major advertised advantage of the P4, obstacle avoidance, would not have worked in your crash anyway.

The one feature that DJI advertised that might have been useful for a professional photographer, the "36 percent better lens (or whatever the silly figure was) really hasn't panned out. The P4 takes nice pictures - so does the P3. And the P4 seems to have the same quality control issues that our beloved P3 has so no win there.

I have two P3Ps - I can stuff them into the same backpack, use the same controller (one hooked up with a FPVLR antenna, the other stock), use the same filters, same batteries, same props, etc.

Backup machine, yes, but also a spotter (not the client) whose job is to watch the craft all the time. The spotter will keep safe your craft, but also save the job.

Still, from someone who has crashed more than once, my condolences. The good news is that if all that is wrong is the gimble/camera parts, you can replace this yourself for less than the cost of a new P3P.

Chris
It's quite difficult to get the job as there are more and more wild competition, then If I have to pay a spotter... (in another hand, a trained spotter would have saved the day...)

It's quite difficult to get the job as there are more and more wild competition, then If I have to pay a spotter... (in another hand, a trained spotter would have saved the day...)
Wild competition, eh? I my neck of the woods, we carry bear spray for that particular issue. Works like a treat.

Why a P4? If you are going to keep the P3 as a backup, there is a real point to be made for getting another one like it. Cheaper, no real loss of functionality (you are taking pictures, not running sport mode all day). Same batteries. Same software. The major advertised advantage of the P4, obstacle avoidance, would not have worked in your crash anyway.

The one feature that DJI advertised that might have been useful for a professional photographer, the "36 percent better lens (or whatever the silly figure was) really hasn't panned out. The P4 takes nice pictures - so does the P3. And the P4 seems to have the same quality control issues that our beloved P3 has so no win there.

I have two P3Ps - I can stuff them into the same backpack, use the same controller (one hooked up with a FPVLR antenna, the other stock), use the same filters, same batteries, same props, etc.
True... Let's say that I've been attracted by the collision avoidance (Not for this time...) and the slight improvements. But if it didn't happen, I would never have ordered a P4.

Last edited:
True... Let's say that I've been attracted by the collision avoidance (Not for this time...) and the slight improvements. But if it didn't happen, I would never ordered a P4.

Collision avoidance would not have necessarily saved your bird as it depends on the size of the branch..

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

loss of my "toy" [...] I was doing a shot for a client

I'm sorry for your loss. But if you were doing it for a client, I wouldn't call the AC a toy but a tool. And I wouldn't expect the client to pay for the damage -- I'd just let other clients to pay their share of the risk.

On the other hand, if I was doing this for free for a friend, then it would be another matter like "Hey, I can take footage of your house if you pay me $100 if I lose or damage the AC for whatever reason, right?"

Last edited:
I find it astonishing that you would lay any blame at all on the client. If you were taking flying directions, such as which way to go and especially "You're ok go... go ...", you made a mistake that a professional should not make.

Example: if I were a professional photographer, I might take design instructions from a client, but not equipment operation instructions. This isn't a perfect analogy as bad client advice wouldn't crash your camera, but it still illustrates a professional relationship between the pro and the client.

Totally agree about having a backup...

I am a sports photographer, and I carry a backup camera body no matter where I shoot. As I just got a P3P and HOPEFULLY putting it in my workflow, I might just keep my old P2 as the backup, since I can't really sell it (correction: no one wants to buy it... lol...). I can just throw my GoPro on it and go...

I'm sorry for your loss. But if you were doing it for a client, I wouldn't call the AC a toy but a tool. And I wouldn't expect the client to pay for the damage -- I'd just let other clients to pay their share of the risk.

On the other hand, if I was doing this for free for a friend, then it would be another matter like "Hey, I can take footage of your house if you pay me $100 if I lose or damage the AC for whatever reason, right?"
This is why I kept my mouth shut, which was quite something I can tell you! :)

Reactions: matti

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic